What's new

Lucas, Wer art thou

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
I do have quite a low ppm, but last week I tried 300ppm and the tips stated to look burned and I took it down to 200ppm immediately...

Is this with your 'modified' lucas? If so, that would explain it.

Listen to Joe... twisting leaves is pH related and yes, 550ppm or so for seedlings. Lucas mixed with GH flora only. Any other mix or say Maxibloom or something and you're going to have to go a bit lighter.

Starting pH:

If you're in a submerged root system... start your pH at around 5.4 or so, you don't want it going below 5.2 so set it accordingly. pH swing occurs as the pH slowly rises to around 5.8 or 6.0 before being adjusted back down.

If you're dripping/flooding a system with hydroton, coco or other 'medium' your starting pH will be between 5.8 and 6.0... depending on how the medium dries out. pH swing happens as the water in the solution dries out, increasing the nute strength and dropping pH.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

Verdure

Is this with your 'modified' lucas? If so, that would explain it.

Listen to Joe... twisting leaves is pH related and yes, 550ppm or so for seedlings. Lucas mixed with GH flora only. Any other mix or say Maxibloom or something and you're going to have to go a bit lighter.

Starting pH:

If you're in a submerged root system... start your pH at around 5.4 or so, you don't want it going below 5.2 so set it accordingly. pH swing occurs as the pH slowly rises to around 5.8 or 6.0 before being adjusted back down.

If you're dripping/flooding a system with hydroton, coco or other 'medium' your starting pH will be between 5.8 and 6.0... depending on how the medium dries out. pH swing happens as the water in the solution dries out, increasing the nute strength and dropping pH.

550 @ .5, are you sure?

Referring to your question, Doing DWC 5 Gallon buckets. I have been using the regular Lucas 1:2 ratio of micro to bloom

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Yes... As long as you're mixing the GH at 1:2... you can go 550ppm @ .5 conversion.

They're getting full light... yes?

NeWcS

I'm confused. In that first pic you're saying the plant is 'bleached' but it seems to me like it looks like that due to you feeding it at such a young age. Did I misread something?

Verdure

I'm confused. In that first pic you're saying the plant is 'bleached' but it seems to me like it looks like that due to you feeding it at such a young age. Did I misread something?

You have to feed it once you transplant in DWC my man right away my man. Its just a matter of how much....

I have found that once transplanted 160-200ppm @ .5 until first set of true leaves appear.

Once that happens throw her up to 550ppm @ .5

Hydro-Soil was right on point.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
I completely disagree. Why would you feed a seedling? It doesn't even have roots?

And your experience with Lucas is???

Just curious because the questions you're asking are related to unbalanced nute profiles... not Lucas. Please do some research. :D

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Admittedly, this seedling got off to a rocky start.

When I sprout seeds and have HID available... they're getting full strength lucas (GH Flora mixed) in 10 days . No burning, nothing but full on growth.

Everyone does it different, eh?

p.s. Glad they're doing good now Verd!

Verdure

So it seems like I am still having problems. As recommend by you guys, which I respect your advice, I was told to bump up to 550ppm @ .5.

I started by bumping up to 400ppm @ .5, and they started doing better. Then after 3 days, I bumped up to 550ppm @ .5. Now, the new growth is yellow and no doing so well. I am beginning to feel like I am pretty bad at this.

Any ideas?

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
What has your pH been doing?

Remember that for dwc you need to let it fully rise from around 5.2 till around 6.0. Did you change the pH when you bumped up the feed?

Verdure

What has your pH been doing?

Remember that for dwc you need to let it fully rise from around 5.2 till around 6.0. Did you change the pH when you bumped up the feed?

Right, my PH is 5.8

Yes, I set it at 5.5 and let it rise to 6.0.

When I re added the nutes( from 400 to 550), It was set at 5.6.

I see the tips are burned on 2 of them? I am pretty much doing everything by the book.

Starting water is 30ppm
water temp 69-70f
room temp 70f
Humidity 55-65
HID MH 400 3 feet away
(Soaked hydroton in PH before use)

I am just lost at the moment. I thin they did well at 400ppm. I really want to get this down, as I love it. I won't give up

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Re-mix fresh at 5.4 pH, you've been in the upper ranges too long.
400 won't hurt them at this stage and they're not exactly the healthiest. Listen to your plant.

Verdure

Re-mix fresh at 5.4 pH, you've been in the upper ranges too long.
400 won't hurt them at this stage and they're not exactly the healthiest. Listen to your plant.

Will do and let you know how it goes.

You are the best, quality forum here

NeWcS

I completely disagree. Why would you feed a seedling? It doesn't even have roots?

Found this on the site of a nutrient company;

The reason a cutting or seedling grows roots to begin with, is because it is in survival mode. It is searching for food. It completely defeats the purpose if nutrients/RBS are added to a cutting/seedling before it has developed a root structure or “a mouth”, if you will.
[FONT=Calibri, Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]

[/FONT]I guess this what my school of though was too. [FONT=Calibri, Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]

[/FONT]It just shows, what works for one might not work for another[FONT=Calibri, Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]

[/FONT]-Safety Meeting Time :) -

Verdure

Just a quick update.

Its going ok. Still have some issues. Feel like possibly a cal mag deficiency. Still at 400 ppm, which is pretty much 0-5-10 lucas.

Latest posts

Latest posts