What's new

Living organic soil from start through recycling

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Gascanastan

The leaves from the neem & karanja contain Cyclic trisulphide and Cyclic tetrasulphide which are powerful fungicides as they are sulfur-containing compounds. For several hundred years the dried leaves have been added to sacks of grain to prevent 'mold' (Source: NEEM: A Treatise by K.K. Singh, Suman Phogat, R.S. Dhillon and Alka Tomar)

The leaves also contain Nimbidin, Nimbin and Gedunin and others which are bio-pesticides. How you would extract these specific compounds is not something I can answer. While we focus on the oils from the seeds, the leaves have played a far more important role in the 5,000+ year history - by leaps and bounds actually.

Get the extraction down and you would have something pretty special. These compounds can be purchased from a few Indian chemical suppliers but the $$$ makes them prohibitive other than for research organizations and universities.

EDIT: Neem Tree Farms in Florida has fresh as well as dried leaves and the bark (dried)

CC

Last edited:
Cootz,

Would a person be able to create an enzyme enriched water with simple grocery store purchased "raw flax seed" soaking in water ?

(I am guessing the raw means they do not destroy the seeds ability to germinate)

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Joe

Here's why you wouldn't want to soak any seed (only) and try to use the soaking water: many seeds are encoded with enzymes on the hull's exterior and the immediate interior. These enzymes prevent germination unless the conditions are right, i.e. they're growth inhibitors. Not Plant Growth Regulators but out and out inhibitors.

Once a seed germinates, the developing endosperm creates other enzymes that neutralize the inhibitors, converting them into a food source for the emerging tap-root.

Joe

Here's why you wouldn't want to soak any seed (only) and try to use the soaking water: many seeds are encoded with enzymes on the hull's exterior and the immediate interior. These enzymes prevent germination unless the conditions are right, i.e. they're growth inhibitors. Not Plant Growth Regulators but out and out inhibitors.

Once a seed germinates, the developing endosperm creates other enzymes that neutralize the inhibitors, converting them into a food source for the emerging tap-root.

So it sounds like a decent rinse may be in order to start...

Now the only question is how to sprout them :chin:
(I thought the soaking would be the how ~)

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Joe

Take 2 tablespoons of seeds in a large glass jar (not plastic) and cover with clear, clean water (dechlorinated) for 12 hours. Drain and let the seeds germinate (sprout), cover with 1/2 gallon of water and let that stand for about 48 hours.

Strain and use 1 cup of the sprouted seed tea with 15 cups of water (= 1 gallon). Water your plants with this solution.

HTH

CC

DARC MIND

Veteran
nigerian/bmr
DSC00001.JPG DSC00002.JPG DSC00019.JPG

v.shiva
DSC00180.JPG DSC00177.JPG DSC00184.JPG
v.shiva
DSC00200.JPG DSC00202.JPG

Y

YosemiteSam

Joe

Take 2 tablespoons of seeds in a large glass jar (not plastic) and cover with clear, clean water (dechlorinated) for 12 hours. Drain and let the seeds germinate (sprout), cover with 1/2 gallon of water and let that stand for about 48 hours.

Strain and use 1 cup of the sprouted seed tea with 15 cups of water (= 1 gallon). Water your plants with this solution. Be amazed

HTH

CC

You left out a part

Ouzo180

So (almost) any seeds can be used for the enzyme drench?

I have various seeds sitting around but no Alfalfa/Barley seeds. Would there be any plant types to stay away from, like radishes?

So (almost) any seeds can be used for the enzyme drench?

I have various seeds sitting around but no Alfalfa/Barley seeds. Would there be any plant types to stay away from, like radishes?

That was the other part of my question (you know, the part that didn't get typed - LOL)....

Try finding frikin' seeds anywhere LOCALLY in the north in winter... They look at you like you're a F'in' MORON !

Y

YosemiteSam

If you have a home beer brewing store nearby you can get the lightest barley malt they have. May not be quite as good but it will work to.

Just have em mill it for you and soak for 48 hrs

Ouzo180

If you have a home beer brewing store nearby you can get the lightest barley malt they have. May not be quite as good but it will work to.

Just have em mill it for you and soak for 48 hrs

Thanks for the tip!
I have checked my local brew store recently but I was unsure about their malts as I thought some or all were roasted/toasted to some degree or another.

Not terribly expensive though, so maybe I'll just take your advice and give 'er a shot. My uncle actually brews his own beers, meads, English Ales, and Barley Wine etc. Very good stuff! Barley wine is surprisingly good, and strong!

Seandawg

I use rice. Go to your local grocery store and you can get a large bag of brown rice and have a lifetime supply. Sprout works just as well i promise!

Try looking into bird seed wild feed (sorghum, millet, milo). Fantastic mix for a great diversity of enzymes and compounds. Those were my thoughts anyway...

I use rice. Go to your local grocery store and you can get a large bag of brown rice and have a lifetime supply. Sprout works just as well i promise!

Obtaining Rice Seeds

With sacks of rice lining our supermarket shelves, it may be surprising to hear that finding rice seed is, likely, the most difficult step in growing rice. The reason being, you must begin with unhulled seeds. That is, the rice grains must be enclosed in their tight, protective hull.

Food rice already has the hull removed and it will become moldy and rot before it grows. If you live in an area that grows rice, like California or the South, you may be able to find it as local agricultural bulk seed. Otherwise, you'll have to ask around.

Some health food stores stock, or can order, rice in the hull. Don't give up! Though it may not be in your area, rice seed is one of the most common commodities on the planet. But, don't wait too long. Soon, very soon, it may be difficult to find any seed at all, that is not genetically altered.

Ouzo180

That was the other part of my question (you know, the part that didn't get typed - LOL)....

Try finding frikin' seeds anywhere LOCALLY in the north in winter... They look at you like you're a F'in' MORON !

Lol, Ya I feel ya on that my fellow Northerner.

I plan on starting a good amount of sprouts soon, (still haven't ordered) for my own eating so no worries a little down the road, I am just too curious to wait if I don't have to.

Are there particular reasons for using Barley/Alfalfa seed compared to others or do these just happen to be the most avalable? If we are harvesting the sprouts for their 'growth enzymes' then it shouldn't matter what seed is used as they
should all have such enzymes, right?

The main restraining factor to me would seem to be allelopathic plants (poisonous to other plants.)

LOL - I can't edit Sean ! The above was quoted from http://www.9starki.com/realrice.html

The birdseed was a thought I had, but I didn't want to buy 25 pounds before I found out if it was a decent seed or not for "enzyme action"

Lo and behold flax seed (in the hull) was sitting right in the kitchen cabinet. . .

Neo 420

Veteran
Can anyone identify the plant that hitched a ride in on my agave? I purchased the agave at my local nursery.I seen the "invader" when transplanted into my bed but I thought I let it go for a while and ID it. Well its time to ID cause either its plant food or its out of here....

Seandawg

Obtaining Rice Seeds

With sacks of rice lining our supermarket shelves, it may be surprising to hear that finding rice seed is, likely, the most difficult step in growing rice. The reason being, you must begin with unhulled seeds. That is, the rice grains must be enclosed in their tight, protective hull.

Food rice already has the hull removed and it will become moldy and rot before it grows. If you live in an area that grows rice, like California or the South, you may be able to find it as local agricultural bulk seed. Otherwise, you'll have to ask around.

Some health food stores stock, or can order, rice in the hull. Don't give up! Though it may not be in your area, rice seed is one of the most common commodities on the planet. But, don't wait too long. Soon, very soon, it may be difficult to find any seed at all, that is not genetically altered.

Joe,

I had the same thought about sprouting the rice. White rice, i knew there was no chance. Brown rice, that had some potential. I found a site a while back that talked about sprouting brown rice. So i figured wtf? Why not just try it? I did, it sprouted and now its part of my three grain mix for sprouted seed teas, and yes it works very well!!!

Not too different from sprouting anything else.http://www.sproutpeople.com/seed/print/rice.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts