What's new

Living organic soil from start through recycling

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Have you tried knotweed honey? We got some from our hives this year. It's the same color as molasses and really rich. It's a prized commodity amongst bee keepers. Funny, considering it's an invasive weed in our parts that we are constantly trying to eradicate.
CT GUY

Thanks for your post!! You saved me a trip to Portland Nursery. Their 'genius bar' provides pretty solid information (overall) for home gardeners and plant identification is one of the services they provide. I now know what that plant on the side of the house is. I have to bring in the 'weed eating goats' again from the same company I used a couple of years ago for blackberry plants and I wanted to tell them about this 'other' invasive plant - so when I looked it up online I found the pictures and that's the one!

On beekeeping, are you familiar with Ruhl Bee Supply in Clackamas? They've been in business for 114 years and their store is pretty amazing with the variety of tools and equipment that they offer for beekeeping. Really nice folks - they're located off of I-205 and the Estacada exit (Oregon Route 224) near the Fred Meyer Warehouse complex.

You'd probably find it an interesting place to check out. I'm going to take one of their classes 'just because' - sounds like an interesting and fun subject to investigate.

CC

MileHighGuy

Veteran
From the preface of "Teaming with Microbes"

Really Glad I'm finally reading this.

"Most Gardeners are stuck in traditional horticultural land, a place where a blend of old wives' tales, anecdotal science, and slick commercial pitches designed to sell products dictates our seasonal activities. If there is any understanding of the underlying science of gardening, it is almost always limited to the soil's NPK chemistry and its physical structure. As you read these pages, you will learn how to use the biology in your soils--naturally or manipulated--to your and your plants' benefit. Since chemical fertilizers kill the soil microorganisms and chase away larger animals, the system we espouse is an organic one, free of chemicals."

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
MHG

Definitely a good book for any gardener. The main author, Jeff L. appears often at the local home & garden shows and will usually conduct a couple of classes over the weekend and while he's in town doing that he's a popular guest on local media shows.

Jeff is a really nice gentleman and puts a friendly face in helping people learn the how & why of developing 'living soils'

CC

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
Gascanastan

Under Washington's new MJ laws will the selling of seeds or cuttings be legal?

CC

Good question...was discussing this last night. I don't see why not....but then again Uncle Slam want's his hands in every pie even if they need to make some new legislation to make it happen.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Maybe an eBook listing your strains you want to offer would be an interesting marketing approach?

I just finished 4 short books for my chiropractor - stupid easy to put together. You could email these books to potential clients. Updating would take less than 30 seconds - again stupid easy.

Or a couple of books on the preparations and extracts you guys are developing.

Just a thought.......

CC

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
Maybe an eBook listing your strains you want to offer would be an interesting marketing approach?

I just finished 4 short books for my chiropractor - stupid easy to put together. You could email these books to potential clients. Updating would take less than 30 seconds - again stupid easy.

Or a couple of books on the preparations and extracts you guys are developing.

Just a thought.......

CC
Yepperz...we ain't dead yet...always time to bolt some wings on the trip it and see if it flies.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
One of the publishing software titles I have will create a Table of Contents and the Index as well. This is in addition to adding the Search plug-in to the basic manuscript that would allow to your readers to set Bookmarks on the Search results.

These books will look perfect on phones and tablets as well as desktop digital readers.

Could be interesting to work on.....

CC

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Its pissing down with rain today which is nice for the first week of summer and after an extended dry spell. Think i am going to make some seed bombs today out of possum poo, clay and bit of native soil plus a wee dash of aloe vera powder and this special clay powder (just because its laying around). I have also read that fresh black pepper has significant powers of germination, great for carrot seeds apparently.

Anyhoos... i have to get back to Sphagnum peatmoss.

Turns out it isnt available in bulk down under and there is only a very small section of Tasmania that is harvested.

So what is a good alternative for the Australian folk?

We have discussed coco but i am trying to ween myself off of using as much...certainly as Coot pointed out for bulk amounts coco is an expensive and time consuming affair...

I am in the short term going to use native soil amended with homemade compost and biochar. But longer term this isnt the best option perhaps.

Options are: (so far)

composted moo poo and pine bark $71 cubic metre
soil and composted chicken poo $67 cubic metre

Thats all from the best local place thats worth mentioning... they are delivering some fine pine bark for mulching and composting purposes tmrw.

:smoweed:

Scrappy4

Veteran
So what is a good alternative for the Australian folk?

Can you compost leaves for leaf mold? I find that leaf mold made from our local oak trees to have the texture of peat, and when mixed in peat it becomes indistinguishable from the peat portion.

I make my leaf mold compost using twice cut leaves and layers of alfalfa meal. After it is layered in i wet it, and let nature do it's thing. If you make bakashi that makes a nice addition too. Another way is to put leaves in black plastic bags for extended periods until it's composted. Either way leaf mold compost is good stuff....

Good quality top soil with good organic material content could also be used, just be sure to aerate it well......scrappy

Amber Trich

Have you tried knotweed honey? We got some from our hives this year. It's the same color as molasses and really rich. It's a prized commodity amongst bee keepers. Funny, considering it's an invasive weed in our parts that we are constantly trying to eradicate.

interesting! i used to think of it as so invasive but it definitely comes deafeningly alive with insects/pollinators when in flower..

also the roots are an herbal treatment/remedy for lyme disease i think

molasses colored honey sounds so nourishing!

B

BlueJayWay

Say Goodbye to my last Sour Bubble plant, ran this cut for two years, if only she produced more than marble and walnut sized flowers - grown with a few others indoors in a 45gal smartie, ROLS only. It is very medicinal and helped a lot of people, serious pain relief, appetite, sleep, sleeep... zz sleeeeep..zzzzzz

picture.php

picture.php

B

BlueJayWay

Does the term 'Sour' have something to do with the taste? Or does it mean something else?

CC

Yes from the taste and smell only- a nice branching, decent yielding, sour lime type smell/taste is the one to look for.

I didn't get that from a pack, this is the stinky rotten funky smelling low yielding pheno with a heavy earthy hashy cedar taste. Not everyone likes it, some absolutely adore it, very strong indica type variety - I don't usually partake, late night when in need of guarenteed sleep, muscle pain/strain & bad headache relief.... When harvested early, and that's easy to do, there is a "trippy paranoid" affect as some have described it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts