What's new

Living organic soil from start through recycling

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
YosemiteSam

It could have worked out that way in Oregon but for a number of reasons it did not. The 'clinics' are locked-in with the hydroponic supplier Sun Light Mfg. (National Garden Wholesale) so it's Botanicare, Fox Farms, Roots Organic (LMAO), et al.

Pretty sad since everything is right here - there's absolutely no reason to use sub-standard products. None at all.

CC

D

Durdy

I met a girl two weekends ago who is a part of an environmental studies program at a University near me. She is in charge of their little worm farm and it sounded like they were producing a quality product. She made teas with it and top dressed different things. She said it would be fine to come on over with a bucket and get some castings. So for those of you trying to source this item, check out Universities near you with similar environmental programs, chances are they'll probably have something similar going on!

Scrounging around calling horse feed places I found a feed store that sells a 50 lb bag of alfalfa pellets for $16, is there any specific type of alfalfa or anything I should be looking for?

And does it contain pesticides or vermicides in these bags?Seems like they completely skipped my city with all the 50lb bags of goodies guess this is the best it's gonna get around here..

Also found grow more kelp meal in 10 or 15 lb bags for like 35?

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Scrounging around calling horse feed places I found a feed store that sells a 50 lb bag of alfalfa pellets for $16, is there any specific type of alfalfa or anything I should be looking for?

And does it contain pesticides or vermicides in these bags?Seems like they completely skipped my city with all the 50lb bags of goodies guess this is the best it's gonna get around here..

Also found grow more kelp meal in 10 or 15 lb bags for like 35?
Organic alfalfa has gotten more expensive and harder to source over the Monsanto GMO-Alfalfa ruling by USDA last spring. It's a mess.

The best that you can probably do is to get 'non-sprayed' alfalfa. I have to buy alfalfa pellets in order to get organic alfalfa. Much of the pelletized sold through feed stores is of a good quality. The price you are being quoted is 'real world' - i.e. a good deal.

The GrowMore Kelp is the right variety and that price is on the high-end for 10 lbs. $35.00 for 15 lbs. is not too bad actually.

One other thing, in the livestock world, kelp meal is sometimes referred to as 'seaweed meal' - not seaweed extract. See if that term helps.

CC

Man these people act like I'm speaking some foreign language when I ask them if stuff is organic and unsprayed it's kinda funny, is there another term for crab meal also?

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Crustacean Meal

I wouldn't spend too much time on the crab meal. Getting neem meal into your soil mix is far, far more important.

KIS Organics sells organic neem meal in any amount you need and they have a solid deal on shipping charges. They are also the go-to source for neem oil (certified organic)

CC

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
Shrimp meal is another one...

Makes me want to pick up the tons of crab shells I see,grind 'em up and sell it to all the poor people that can't find it...for a reasonable price of course.

Y

YosemiteSam

YosemiteSam

It could have worked out that way in Oregon but for a number of reasons it did not. The 'clinics' are locked-in with the hydroponic supplier Sun Light Mfg. (National Garden Wholesale) so it's Botanicare, Fox Farms, Roots Organic (LMAO), et al.

Pretty sad since everything is right here - there's absolutely no reason to use sub-standard products. None at all.

CC

No joke. Everytime I google something it is located in the PNW. Allowing the hydro industry to trump that is some shameful shit. :biggrin:

The convenience of walking into a store and finding these 50lb bags you guys don't even know how lucky you are or you do..

Either way I live in a desert and it is such a dry spell when it comes to these gems the only place that sells compost out here by the yard has horrible quality looks like twigs and dirt I'm still hoping there's some place that has a connection to California's farm supply out here other wise I might have to make a trek to Bakersfield and stock up for years to come..

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Allowing the hydro industry to trump that is some shameful shit. :biggrin:
When greed meets up with sheer and total laziness in the pursuit of convenience you have a viable customer base.

Over 68,000 MMJ cardholders in Oregon so there's big potential here from selling water with traces of 'something' in there - real or imagined.

CC

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Has anyone used or heard any good things about vital earth mega worm castings or sanctuary buckaroo worm castings?
Vital Earth EWC - bulk product from British Columbia. Available for $125.00 - $150.00 per cubic yard.

Interesting price increase once it's in a bag, eh? LMAO

I'd use the Malibu Biodynamic in your soil mix since that's a 'known' product and top-dress with the Buckaroo Worm Castings.

Just an idea.......

CC

Sorry for double posting my comp froze on me, they can ship the yard of those castings to whoever carries the mega worm bags? Or would this not be worth it?lack of quality?

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
Vital Earth EWC - bulk product from British Columbia. Available for $125.00 - $150.00 per cubic yard.

Interesting price increase once it's in a bag, eh? LMAO

I'd use the Malibu Biodynamic in your soil mix since that's a 'known' product and top-dress with the Buckaroo Worm Castings.

Just an idea.......

CC
Was it you who said the Malibu was at Concentrates..or was that a dream.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Yep - $16.50 list price

I really like this compost. I'd forgotten how much so since I first used it in the post-Marwest nightmare.

"Live & Learn"

CC

Status
Not open for further replies.