What's new

Living organic soil from start through recycling

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrog

Veteran
Rrog - I run no tills and switched from RO water to tap which is 284ppm, at least 70% mountain well water, probably 100% mid winter to mid summer at least.

Anyways, I couldn't be happier :). No more trying to fit extra minerals in the soil and fucking shit up. LOL. I couldn't speak to the clogging though, I hand water everything.

I'm up over 400... pretty hard. The house uses a softener. Needs to.

I've been running the well water no problem, because I haven't been recycling soil. Once I move I'll be doing no-till, then I'm concerned.

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
What is the CB in BO x CB?
Freekin Mr. Greengenes Cherry Bomb broseth...:)

..another BOEL result....Mexican 'Lighting Bolt' (the name of the boat that brought the Mexican to Hawaii) x Afghani of some sort....correct me if I'm wrong Coot. I heard that another BOEL feller selling T-shirts for $80 bucks said it was a highland Mexican type....not real high...foothills type of thing.

30 year IBL Maui Wowie from 1979

picture.php

Gascanastan

Veteran
At least it's a cool double post to look at^^^

Thank Mr. Greengenes for preserving this treat. This is the same Cherry Bomb he gave to Reeferman and then Reeferman ran off with the 'Cherry Bomb' name after he crossed it to something else and released it under his name...shady...EDIT...FUCKING SHADY!!! Ghetto actually...

This is the REAL Mr Greengenes Cherry Bomb ^^^^ I got from the man himself....and fuck yeah I'm gonna rip down some B-hits of these flowers right now...thanks for the reminder Sam~

This shit right here is WRONG...big time.

Unknown or Legendary - Cherry Bomb

by Mr. Greengenes (???)

Mostly Sativa Cherry Bomb with Maui Wowie origins. To get the best cherry flavor select plants with the most red in the stems.

Hawaiian Sativa x Cherry AK47
Strain Lineage / Genealogy / Family Tree

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This will be my first try at ROLS. I live hours from anywhere that sells organic soil amendments in any bulk and I will be traveling to one of these locations this week. It is a store called Peaceful Valley, in Grass Valley CA. http://www.groworganic.com/ I plan on using 18-20 gal smartpots under 1000w lights. I started a wormbin and compost tumbler 2 months ago but I dont think that suitable finished product will be ready for some time now. Any help you guys could give me with planning my upcoming purchase and soil build would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks for all your help and an incredible thread.

Hey you shopping experts, answer this poor guy. Sorry but I do not know anything about garden center stuff. All I buy is wheat bran (for worms/nematodes/fungi), kelpmeal, alfalfameal, peatmoss.

While I've got everyone's attention... I'm thinking of trying some Feliz 300 watt dual spectrum fluorescents http://www.felizlight.com/products-50062-0-item-98439.html?backurl=/

Any comments, experience?

b_all_in

Thanks MM. I am really interested in how much to buy per 20 gal smartpot. After reading this thread and trying to keep up with discussions, I know I will need: bales of peat, lots of kelp meal, compost, worm castings, some neem meal, oyster shell flour, alfalfa meal, rice hulls, maybe crab/shrimp shell meal? Was basically just hoping someone could take a look at this place I can get to, http://www.groworganic.com/ ,and possibly point me in the right direction. Any comments, tips, direction or counsel is appreciated.

Grizz

Veteran
ok guys dont beat me up to hard but want to ask if anyone has tried adding all organic builders to coco? if it was covered in the thread already forgive me as i dident want to read the whole 261 pages. im talking about basic shit like blood and bone meal, cotton seed meal and such..

MileHighGuy

Veteran
Thanks MM. I am really interested in how much to buy per 20 gal smartpot. After reading this thread and trying to keep up with discussions, I know I will need: bales of peat, lots of kelp meal, compost, worm castings, some neem meal, oyster shell flour, alfalfa meal, rice hulls, maybe crab/shrimp shell meal? Was basically just hoping someone could take a look at this place I can get to, http://www.groworganic.com/ ,and possibly point me in the right direction. Any comments, tips, direction or counsel is appreciated.

Are you driving to the store front of the groworganic.com website?

Get everything you can while you're there, but also, I needed some items that I just couldn't find without outrageous shipping costs, and EBAY.com came through for me huge with Free shipping on my gypsum and other amendments.

What kind of questions do you have?

I get that you are using 20 Gallon smart pots, but what's the deal?

I added up the original recipe and it looked like it made enough for maybe ONE 20 gallon Smart Pot.

Think about it first though, 20 gallon smart pot is HUGE for indoor, not that big is bad... but why? Gas was getting away with 3-4 Runs on just 5 Gallons, Certainly you should be able to pull a large plant off of 7-10 gallons... Right? I don't know, I'm just always worried about ceiling height and room, but if you are outdoor's that's cool.

Maybe, a more specific question? Because I don't know what direction you're looking for.

Gascanastan

Veteran
ok guys dont beat me up to hard but want to ask if anyone has tried adding all organic builders to coco? if it was covered in the thread already forgive me as i dident want to read the whole 261 pages. im talking about basic shit like blood and bone meal, cotton seed meal and such..

I soak coco husk in EWC after it's rinsed a couple times....I know coco is less microbial friendly...so..I'm not sure if that helps it's condition or not. MM?

I use coco husk as a base mix amendment...nothing else...I just don't add anymore once the base mix is made...3 1/2 years now?

I would soak Char in such things as fish,guano,etc.

MileHighGuy

Veteran
Also, I ordered some from GrowOrganic... they are just fine, but they are back ordered on Neem Cake or Neem Meal until January, Although the website didn't tell me....

Anyways, the Crab shell meal, they just got in.

Grizz

Veteran
I soak coco husk in EWC after it's rinsed a couple times....I know coco is less microbial friendly...so..I'm not sure if that helps it's condition or not. MM?

I use coco husk as a base mix amendment...nothing else...I just don't add anymore once the base mix is made...3 1/2 years now?

I would soak Char in such things as fish,guano,etc.
thank you for the promt answer

Gascanastan

Veteran
Also, I ordered some from GrowOrganic... they are just fine, but they are back ordered on Neem Cake or Neem Meal until January, Although the website didn't tell me....

Anyways, the Crab shell meal, they just got in.

Does it smell like crabs man...what's the consistency?.

Here's what I came up with for local MMJ growers.....

Alaska Peat - 2.2 c.f. bale (pony bale) - $9.00
Malibu Biodynamic Compost - 1 c.f. - $16.50
Lava Rock (DIY store) 1 c.f. - $5.00

Less than $31.00 for about 4.5 c.f. of legitimate potting soil base. Toss in some rock dust, neem & kelp meal and you're pretty close to a 'water only' soil mix.
CC

Here's a better suggestion than my previous one - go figure, eh?

2x Empire Builder
1x Malibu Biodynamic
1x Aeration material - Pumice, lava rock, rice hulls and even Perlite

For just starting out you might want to consider this mix. With the usual amendments you will have healthy and vigorous plants.

CC

Sigh. Can't get my hands on those, or anything close. No Roots, no Harvest Moon, not even FF.

Here's what I can come up with, your feedback is humbly appreciated.

I have an email in to the Premier folks to inquire how much of the aboves mixes are compost and how much are peat. Strange, the Canadian formulations of the Premier formulations have manure in them but the US versions don't. Buggers.

Meeker's Magic, pure compost (no peat, 2-1-1) $15 for 40L (approx. 11 Gal)
Premier BioMax Shrimp Compost Mix, shrimp compost with peat and manure (.7-.4-.4), $7 for 35L (approx. 9 Gal)
Premier BioMax Seaweed Compost Mix, seaweed compost with peat and manure (1.8-1.8-1.8), $7 for 35L (approx. 9 Gal)
Wiggle Worm EWC, $10 for 15lbs

So if I mix the above four, add some coco coir and charcoal, am I good to go for a base?

Aeration would be pumice, lava rock, or worst case coarse perlite.

Lime mix would be the same as the original 3-part recipe in the first post - or should I change it?

For amendments, I can get alfalfa meal and Milorganite (5-2-0) for a good price. I can get kelp meal, fish meal, fish bone meal, and guanos, but for not-so-good prices. I can't get crab shell meal except at an exorbitant price. So I would love to know what I can get away with in that department.

Would I still need minerals and traces on top of that? I can get green sand and glacial rock dust, but they ain't cheap. Can't get azomite or oyster shell.

Haven't looked in to neem or karanja but if they're a must then let me know, I'll have to dig pretty deep to come up with the coin but if they're not optional then they're not optional.

Thanks for reading.

rrog

Veteran
Quentin, Morgan compost has a lot of new amendments. The rest is via mail or feed store. We have good sphagnum available.

b_all_in

MileHighGuy

MileHighGuy

Thank you for your response. Yeah 20gal was just me figuring bigger would be better for this particular application. Maybe I should start smaller. Say I go with 10gal Smartpots instead. Specifically, I guess, how far will a bale of Premier Peat go, including rice hulls, hummus, amendments etc . I am also looking for suggestions as to the compost, and, wormcastings that Peaceful Valley offer. I also would like some direction on the rest of amendments I will need, that are available through Peaceful Valley, since I will be there. Thanks for the ebay tip too.

MileHighGuy

Veteran
Does it smell like crabs man...what's the consistency?.

Smells like a bag o' crabs. Couldn't believe it when I opened it.

I grew up at the beach, but now live in the mountains. Kinda liked opening the bag just for the smell.

It's like sand. Mostly tanish brown with white chunks.

MileHighGuy

Veteran
Thank you for your response. Yeah 20gal was just me figuring bigger would be better for this particular application. Maybe I should start smaller. Say I go with 10gal Smartpots instead. Specifically, I guess, how far will a bale of Premier Peat go, including rice hulls, hummus, amendments etc . I am also looking for suggestions as to the compost, and, wormcastings that Peaceful Valley offer. I also would like some direction on the rest of amendments I will need, that are available through Peaceful Valley, since I will be there. Thanks for the ebay tip too.

I took the recipe on the first page and roughly added up all the gallons.

It's under 20 gallons when done.

One 2.5 Cubic Foot Package of Peat Moss... if I had to guess, looks like about 20 gallons once it's opened, but I'm not sure man. I really don't think it's an exact science.

Just buy all the stuff that you want in your mix and make sure the consistency is good. I think about it this way....

When looking at the recipe:

About 30% Sphagnum Peat and some coco (I think mine is more like 40% here.)
About 30% Compost and Earth Worm Castings
About 30% Aeration Lava Rock, Perlite etc. (I probably have around 20% Aeration..... Just don't make mud)
About 10% Amendments and other cool shit.

Figure 10 Times the recipe will yeild about 150 Gallons.

That's about 15-20 10 Gallon Smart Pots with room left for Top Dressing in each.

So adjust accordingly.

Bring your shopping list with you when you visit that store and get every single item you can possibly get.... Then ask for a discount.

Once your done and at home. Figure out what else you need to get.... then get it done online with as little shipping as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts