What's new

Living organic soil from start through recycling

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
I have access to fresh cow manure from pasture raised cows, what if I built a worm bin and just fed that manure through the wormies, would that be high quality EWC?

Yes

1. There seems to be an aversion to coco coir instead of peat, what is the reason for that? Why would it be a no-no to just sub coir for the peat in the mix on the first post?

Some do - most don't. Sphagnum peat moss is biologically alive and contributes a number of benefits not the least of which is disease suppression (pathogenic fungi), 50% higher CeC than the best coir available out of Sri Lanka and Kerala.

2. How exactly is HIGH quality compost made?

Careful selection of materials, correct layering, Carbon:Nitrogen ratio, etc.

Mostly patience

3. How exactly is HIGH quality EWC made?

Material (feedstock) and patience. Ain't gonna happen in 2 or 3 months - that's a given.

HTH

CC

Hi again all, been reading what I can of this thread, and popped up for a few questions.

1. There seems to be an aversion to coco coir instead of peat, what is the reason for that? Why would it be a no-no to just sub coir for the peat in the mix recipe on the first post?

2. How exactly is HIGH quality compost made?

3. How exactly is HIGH quality EWC made?

I have access to fresh cow manure from pasture raised cows, what if I built a worm bin and just fed that manure through the wormies, would that be high quality EWC? I also saw a bunch of "well composted horse manure" on kijiji for practically free (bring your own bag and shovel) - how about that stuff?

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
I use coco for two reasons. One being that it has long fibers which act like fiber in concrete...it kind of ties the soil together in structural way.
I'm under the school of thought that the fibers are like little highways for water and organisms..a wick effect. Study aggregates and you'll get my vibe. The other reason is that it's just a fairly inert material for holding moisture and bulking up soil with particles larger than peat.

Coco husk isn't as microlife friendly as peat......the starter recipe uses both coco and peat.

I do rinse and then fully hydrate coco in EWC slurry...and I only use coco when building a base mix I plan on recycling forever....from there I no longer add coco husk as leaf litter and other materials make a fine replacement once the soil starts functioning.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Gascanastan

Next time you're setting up several cuttings in the Oasis Cube, take 1 oz. of pure coconut water and add 15 oz. clean water (makes 1 pint) and spray the cuttings after you've got everything going.

CC

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
Gascanastan

Next time you're setting up several cuttings in the Oasis Cube, take 1 oz. of pure coconut water and add 15 oz. clean water (makes 1 pint) and spray the cuttings after you've got everything going.

CC
Why in the hell not eh...going to the co-op today. I'll grab some along with Tibetan barley.

Y

YosemiteSam

Say hello to my lil' friend....Agsil16

Quite a fine powder,like baby powder....here's a 70's visual introduction/presentation of the product....

PS...That's a nice piece Coot...well written.

View Image

You fucker...its been years and still that pic causes the trigger effect. Thank god I do not know where to find it right now :biggrin:

B

BlueJayWay

This threads been goin off!

The black diamond vermicompost looks like excellent stuff, way in the boondocks off the 101 east of paso like CC said, pick up or local delivery only, a lil pricy but I bet its worth it. Very friendly gal and has an interest in helping you rather than just taking your $$, an order for several cuF or more and you've sparked her interest ;)

Diestel farms compost is another one you had recommended to me CC, probably NorCal only but if your local health food store was selling diestel ranch turkeys its worth asking about. I told my store I would buy a pallet if they were able to order it, they said they'd call nd ask.

Also, why the fuck is it so hard to find barley seed in SoCal!!! I'm gonna have to order it online, cheap enough and I can get a variety. I've been using alfalfa sprouts with great success but a bunch are going into mid flower I want to switch to barley for those gals.

Garden is looking better than ever ;)

Ready to start seeds this week, finally.

B

BlueJayWay

I found a place that has 10 lb bags of alfalfa for $25 is this a good price?

Compare it to the size of your grow, maybe this could last you a whole year, so maybe that's a good enough price ya know.

On the flip side, I just got a 50lb bag from the feed store for $14

The Malibu compost is top notch, I've been using it for my AcT and I'll be damned if its not the best I've made so far...

B

bajangreen

1)"Tough Love" - more than just nipple clamps- ClackamasCootz

2)That is the school I went to. Microbeman

LOL,Those two statements made my Day

About coconut water, I tried coconut water for tissue in the kitchen with limited success. But never thought off giving it to clones, tsk tsk tsk, i can tell you that fresh aloe as a rooting gel works very well, the very next time i take cuts i will try the coconut water.

The "meat" in the coconut Some one called it Paste but we call it jelly, when young its delicious, when old it gets very hard and you grater it to bake with. how does one incorporate this into the growing regime? TEA?

D

Durdy

BJW

Nice find on the barley seed I was going to suggest your local feed store as thats where I just came up on a 50 lb bag!

Last edited:
There seems to be an aversion to coco coir instead of peat, what is the reason for that? Why would it be a no-no to just sub coir for the peat in the mix on the first post?

Found this earlier in the thread:

Calcium Carbonate (CaCO3) for example, is deconstructed when it comes in to contact with Sulphuric acid thereby releasing the Ca++ from the Carbon and Oxygen ions.

Soils low in Sulphur will often suffer from 'Calcium' lockout and a good example of that in the gardening world is Coir. Coir is almost completely free from elemental Sulfur meaning that Calcium++ is not available from Limestone, Calcite Lime, Oyster shell powder, etc.

Ever see any threads on Coir boards about Calcium lockout? LOL

Think that they would ever dig deep enough into soil science to figure out that adding more elemental Calcium locked in a double-ring with Magnesium Carbonate (Dolomite Lime) is a fool's errand?

CC

So is there something I could add to the coir (already purchased) to make up for this, or do I scrap it and go with peat? Will the sul-po-mag make up for the lack of elemental Sulfur in coco? Does any of the other stuff (crab, fish, fish bone, kelp) provide enough sulfur?

Thanks, loving this thread, learning lots!

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here are some humus products out of California that you might consider:

Black Diamond Vermicompost - San Luis Obispo County Worm Farm located near the vineyard district east of Paso Robles

Malibu Biodynamic Compost - sold all over California. Premium compost, IMHO

If you're in Southern California then the Agrowin may be your best option since their products are sold at a number of retail stores.

The closer you are to the organic production districts the more options you will have - North San Diego County (Alpine, Escondido, Ramona, etc.), Oxnard County, Salinas District, Fresno District down to the Bakersfield District.

Orange County is pretty easy - check with Orange County Farm Supply in Tustin. They've been there before the first settlers showed up.

HTH

CC

http://www.sonomavalleyworms.com/ - maybe

Resource
http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/organics/worms/WormSupply.htm

Y

YosemiteSam

Gysum (CaSO4) is good in coco coir.

Not that it is worth anything but I am switching everything to peat from coir. I find it much easier to raise healthy plants in than coir. Side by sides for me were very convincing.

So is there something I could add to the coir (already purchased) to make up for this, or do I scrap it and go with peat? Will the sul-po-mag make up for the lack of elemental Sulfur in coco? Does any of the other stuff (crab, fish, fish bone, kelp) provide enough sulfur?

Gysum (CaSO4) is good in coco coir.

Not that it is worth anything but I am switching everything to peat from coir. I find it much easier to raise healthy plants in than coir. Side by sides for me were very convincing.

Well since I am starting from scratch, I might as well do it right from the beginning. So scrap the coir then I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts