What's new

LIVE from 5,000 below on the Gulf floor!

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran
Looks like they are gone for a snack...I am going to brush my teeth!
...........................:bigeye:

Edit: I should have left...they are back on track!

Dammit!

Marcellas

Veteran
Pretty interesting video feed right now!! I see these crazy robot arms grabbing a bunch of stuff and moving stuff all over

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran
This is what they are doing atm:

lmrp300x264.jpg

HerbGlaze

Eugene Oregon
Veteran
This is really scary to think about, its going to have a disastrous effect on the environment.

The official statistics according to the EIA (Energy Information Administration) are that the US uses 9,253,000 barrels/day (388.6 million gallons/day).

So when you look at the ratio, we truly are the destroyers actually.

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran
They were showing the huge shear clamped on to the bent pipe next to the BOP but I didn't see any cutting going on while I was online.

Thanks SH. It must have been cut or they wouldn't be using the saw here. When I left last night it appeared the shear blades weren't square on the pipe and it couldn't get a bite started.

Just heard BP's stock is down 35% since April...

A few minutes ago I saw what looked like a circular blade being used--maybe it's getting pinched as more of the riser is cut. Where's the diamond wire? Those things cut slow but steady and usually don't get stuck.

edit: That pipe is at least 1" thick--maybe 1.5"...

Diamond wire got about 1/3 way through then stopped for very long time with lots of closeups of wire pulleys not turning and such. Three ROVs hovering about including one with wire cutter. About 30 minutes ago flow pattern changed which may indicate wire is started again, but they sure are interested in closeups right now. Cameras at 5,000 ft are a bitch. Ya just want to reach out and give things a nudge don't ya?!

Jeez...I thought maybe the thrusters on the ROV went out and it got sucked into the flow. Looks like it's right up against the cutting sled frame now...

edit: Isn't that one of the manipulator arms inside the sled frame now? Looks like he's holding on for dear life--or the ROV is trying to keep the cutting sled on the job...

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran
The latest news and why things are the way they are...or better "are not"

An estimated 800,000 gallons of oil a day are now spewing into the Gulf of Mexico , 20 percent faster than before, since the underwater robots began cutting a major pipe. But it could be several more days before BP is able to cap the leak with a containment dome and channel the oil to the surface.

While Admiral Thad Allen said Tuesday he had a "pretty good level of confidence" that the so-called cut and cap technique would work, today they ran into a setback. A saw became stuck during the second cut in an attempt to contain the oil. They are now making a second attempt to cut and should know the outcome later today or early tomorrow, Allen said.

Kalicokitty

The cat that loves cannabis
Veteran
I can't tell what their doing, it's pitch black around the robot.

I like the little BP insignia above the live feed.
You think someone would have thought to leave that off, only serves as a reminder whose fault this is in the first place.

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran
I can't tell what their doing, it's pitch black around the robot.

There are a total of 9 live feeds but I was explained only one can be made available to the general public or they would have to have one person sitting there all day switching between available views if something is getting clouded up or other.

I have a few others here on my monitor but they are all limited access with p/w and most of them are boring only showing/monitoring instruments and such.
The only really interesting shot from the ones I have available is the one I posted above...

The coolest one for us - the general public - is normally the one shown in the public live feed.

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran
The saw is malfunctioning.

They have been looking at it for a while now, one of the wheels is spinning and the other one is not.

Latest posts

Latest posts