What's new

Light dep in the flatlands .

PARADOX

Damn.... Im sorry to hear that. Im going to scope the ladies hard today. I noticed a few early brown hairs out of no where.. I think im fucked

We got hit again, hoping its not as bad as the complete coverage of previous years.

PARADOX

hmmmmm .. could be in the thick of it still

I would love to see a map of the registered hemp fields .. I know of massive ones to the south by Craik sk and also fields as far as you can see betweeen North Battleford and Prince Albert

interesting little article on hemp pollen

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11030280

"Measurable Cannabis pollen count was not recorded until the last 2 weeks of July. Peak pollination typically occurred during mid- to late-August, and comprised up to 36% of the total pollen counts. Cannabis pollen was not observed after mid-September. "

Pangea

Veteran
Dang, hope you didnt get hit to bad, its a rough one no doubt. There was an article in a MB based paper recently, featuring a hemp farmer crying about how their hemp fields going to be cross contaminated now that its legal to grow outdoor for rec...

Its about the peak aphid pressure time now, I have a theory they're exacerbated from the hemp fields too.

PARADOX

Last year in BC we had swarms of flying aphids that were crazy thick. was bizarre. The SK outdoor game is interesting . I think a early light dep season might sneak in before the hemp pollen is released . like start May .
Do you know of anyone having problems during the summer indoors? I could see it being a problem . There is a new smaller LP being built out here in Corman Park area . Down the road from where I am. I think they are in for a rude awakening come next summer

PARADOX

I could see some larger seed breeders looking at GMO sterile fem seed workings suitable for the Canadian scene . I sure hope thats not what its going to come to . Fucking hemp pollen.. I suppose they really do not want high THC pollen getting in the mix either ..

fatigues

Veteran
I could see some larger seed breeders looking at GMO sterile fem seed workings suitable for the Canadian scene . I sure hope thats not what its going to come to . Fucking hemp pollen.. I suppose they really do not want high THC pollen getting in the mix either ..

It's trouble all around I suppose, but the next two years are far morel likely to prove more troublesome for hemp farmers than the hemp pollen is for most of us.

The clouds of pollen that will be around Canadian cities next August, however, is a real concern. I hope that ordinary seeds are not sold at ordinary retail outlets. LPs might have an economic interest in wrecking customer grows through pollen contamination -- but they face issues, too, where the costs of wayward male pollen to them is very high. While indoor LP grow facilities take significant steps to combat the introduction of male pollen to their grow areas; no HEPA system or air blast "airlock" entrance is perfect.

Might be the best answer to this for everyone concerned is simply to make non-fem seeds difficult to source and find at retail. Those who want to breed will make the effort to source them from other places; but 99% of people will not as long as the available seed is good, feminized and markedly cheaper than non-licensed online competitors. That will help to greatly reduce a lot of the anticipated urban pollen clouds.

In terms of the prevalence of cannabis pollen, ditch weed is far more prevalent in the USA than it is in Canada. I would not take the results of cannabis pollen in Nebraska as being indicative of pollen counts in Saskatchewan.

None of this means that you shouldn't worry of course.

Gmack

Last year in BC we had swarms of flying aphids that were crazy thick. was bizarre. The SK outdoor game is interesting . I think a early light dep season might sneak in before the hemp pollen is released . like start May .
Do you know of anyone having problems during the summer indoors? I could see it being a problem . There is a new smaller LP being built out here in Corman Park area . Down the road from where I am. I think they are in for a rude awakening come next summer

If you veg indoors for first round youll have no problems getting 3 crops done using light dep. yes you may have problems with the last round but you'll figure out a way around the problem I'm sure. Water kills pollen right?maybe set up a mister for you air intake if your using one?

PARADOX

never had a problem in BC ... Ever .. its these fields that are causing the havoc ..
picture.php

Pangea

Veteran
My napkin math puts it at roughly 13 billion males in our province, I think its hard to avoid if you've got exposed stigma/pistils and the hemps going off.

Sealing and filtering a indoor room is not to hard, the trick is making sure the other egress points are covered, such as clothing and door air locks, it takes a lot for a small "danger"window so have just chosen to not bother for flowering inside around now, figure its better to put that time and energy into more outdoor than be burned by a seeded indoor crop.

Next year anyone growing herb outdoor, be it personal with four plants or LP's, if they are letting errant males go off, they will be in the minority, and just no match for the amount of hemp growing. I have 0 sympathy or concern for our fellow hemp farmers. Their crops wont be contaminated unless a LP is growing acres of auto flowering males or have mass black out op's, which if they do and are growing males to full term in a large amount is highly unlikely. The hemp varieties grown here are fast, they are seeded and half mature before the standard THC plant is starting to flower. Are hemp farmers even allowed to use their own seed? or how often do they, its probably in the minority.

Also, whats the harm if cannabis grown for seed has some THC in it, ive got a lot of fast hemp hybrids over the years that will kick the shit outta the pure hemp varieties for seed yield, with the bonus of awesome terps and hopefully more cannabinoids! The seed oil is easy to keep pure from the extra goodies so why the big concern.

PARADOX

I snatched a couple hemp plants in the sea of hemp east of North battleford . Was a 4 foot plant with skinny cola .. loaded with seeds .. probably 1000 + .. I figured that those fields would be self seeded just by the extra seeds falling off onto the ground..

I have had seeded bud that was ran into bubble hash then disposed of outside in the back yard then come winter melt and spring new seedlings would sprout up.. Im sure if I allowed the males to pollinate they would still be popping up every spring .

Makes me wonder if hemp farmers have to seed every year or not ..?
And yes.. I have a bunch of shite cbd crosses this year also lmfao

Pangea

Veteran
Gotta love the view of large fields of cannabis , such a sight to behold.

I doubt they'd need to seed but imagine they still do.
I pull hundreds of volunteers from my used soil each year, seeds everywhere.

39° on friday, yikes!!!

“Volunteer” crops are almost never grown out. Too thick, too thin, too uneven. Most fields are planted in rotation, oilseed(canola usually), cereal, pulse.

PARADOX

I have a bunch of large greenhouse light dep plants I decided to keep in veg and use for clone stock . Not messing around with more seeded BS this summer .. Also have a nice worm casting,insect frass,kelp,molasses and FPJ(added at the time of watering) tea brewing away to help with the smoke and heat we are in store for..

All this smoke reminds me of BC .. weak

So I have some outdoor plants that are throwing early pistils....... some of the pistils are already brown.
I was thinking of putting some budding indoor plants outside...... between thistle fuzz, hemp pollen, hail, wind and frost..... I think I’ll keep them safe indoors.

PARADOX

Oh I hear that man! Been a weird ride this summer . on the upside I'm about to rock some very dank live resin and bubble. Fuck the seeds I'm going to get my resin yet