What's new

Light controller w/timer for small kit DIY

Grow Tech

I've got a stalk of sinsemilla growing in my back
Veteran
I want to switch on 2- 600w HPS ballasts ( one electronic, one magnetic). If I go with an Intermatic T101 like exosteve is talking about & wire something like this-

Husky 2 ft. Red and Black 12/3 STW 3-Outlet Extension Cord. This heavy-duty extension cord has 3 power outlets and can be used for household and job-site applications

coming out of the bottom of the timer ( after cutting off the male end). I'm I safe?

Much Thanks!
PS....I love the DIY tutorial and might go that route if there's any hint that what I'm talking about isn't top notch safe. I can do the Intermatic T101 + the 2' extension for ~$55

I want to switch on 2- 600w HPS ballasts ( one electronic, one magnetic). If I go with an Intermatic T101 like exosteve is talking about & wire something like this-

Husky 2 ft. Red and Black 12/3 STW 3-Outlet Extension Cord. This heavy-duty extension cord has 3 power outlets and can be used for household and job-site applications

coming out of the bottom of the timer ( after cutting off the male end). I'm I safe?

Much Thanks!
PS....I love the DIY tutorial and might go that route if there's any hint that what I'm talking about isn't top notch safe. I can do the Intermatic T101 + the 2' extension for ~$55

That will work fine, you can also wire into your own quad box. Anything that your 15-20 amp circuit can handle that intermatic can as well. That really should be all grow shops sell for lights IMHO.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I use the same extension. I use it for the AC timmer

picture.php

Hello budleydoright, great DIY. This is exactly what I've been looking for but I have a quick question. What would need to be done to adapt this light controller w/timer to run two 1000w 120v digital ballasts?

I think I would use a larger mechanical relay or contacter. Probably go into it 220 and take 2 110s off of it.

I'd be happy to help you design one. I've picked up more than one pearl of wisdom from your well documented threads and would love to help.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When you get it make sure you look at it good. I had to rebuild the one I got. You can not put 15a outlets on a 30a line.. I had to change most of the wiring and all of the outlets as well as the 30a breaker. I replaced it with 2 20a breakers... Please make sure it is safe mine was not..

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yes I was not a happy camper. Tell him to put 240v 6-20r and 5-20r. The ones he used where 240v 5-15r,6-15r. 30a going straight to a 15a outlet. If there was a problem the outlet would melt catch fire before the breaker tripped.

High74

Executive Branch Genetics
Veteran
Jesus, Ill have to look in to that when I get the unit. Thanks for the heads up

High74

Veteran
hammer I need youre help[ bro my box came in today and I dont know what to look for,

First off I bought the basic plus controller and it only came with one breaker not two like in the website and also I asked him to make it three prong and he sent me 4 prong I also waited over a month to get this box, im freaking pissed. Now I nned to check to see if he didi what I asked when I told him what you told me

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
He had to use a 4 prong for the neutral 120v... The 3 prong does not have a neutral these use the ground for the neutral return and is not safe.. 4 prong is good. You should have 4 wires (8-4) red,black,white,Green...you probably got a 30a breaker?? thats what I got.. I changed out the 30 and installed 2 20a breakers.. Open the cover take some pics. I want to see inside

High74

Veteran
this is the box I thought I was getting

Attachments

• IMG_2781web.JPG
    IMG_2781web.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 21

High74

Veteran
this is what I got