What's new

LIBERATE YOURSELVES FROM BOTTLED NUTES -- SAVE $$ AND GROW BETTER ORGANIC PLANTS

Scrappy4

Veteran
There is a system in china that rotates fields from pigs to carp. The carp eat the weeds fertilized by the pigs after the pigs are slaughtered and the fields are flooded.

I had a pond dug once and ran into some cool systems from china in my library research. Good stuff..... Maybe walmart will import some.....scrappy

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
i use fish hydrolysate and seaweed extract. but i wouldn't consider either of those "bottled nutes" the way we are describing in this thread. more like "liquid amendments" or something.

anyway, i plan to switch to kelp meal when i run out of the seaweed extract. hydrolyzed fish will always have a place in my ACT.

B

Butte_Creek

A form of 'aquaponics' has been around for over 3,000 years. First developed by the Chinese and then it moved to India under the Kushtan's Golden Era. On to Persia.

It also appeared in the New World - the Incas and Mayans practiced a form of aquaponics using moats filled with live fish surrounding the plots. Fish waste fed the soil which fed the plants.

It's believed that this specific method is the closest to what the Chinese developed around the same time that they figured out how to root cuttings. Without Clonex!!!!!

Hard to believe isn't it?

CC

I assume you've been reading up on the new Rosebud mag. i don't know why you felt giving a brief history lesson was necessary... well maybe i do.

Microbeman- i was not referring to you when saying "you guys". you don't need to defend CC and a few others. i got heated because i felt the slight smug pressure that a lot of strangers to the Organic Forum seem to experience when joining in on forum conversation, even when i wasn't disagreeing with any posts in the first place. no hard feelings MM.

gonerooty- i apologize, no hard feelings. i sort of expected after i ranted that you might of just been humbly curious of a source.

mad liberist- large scale organic farming in soil requires a higher input of water, for a few reasons. water leeching past the root zone, run off, evaporation from heat etc. less energy as well in an aquaponic system, from what i've read. i do acknowledge your reference to nature farming, being even better than large scale organic. i think we might be on the wrong page though. i am talking about agricultural systems that provide a population food, probably bigger than what you comparing. for example, and what i think you might be ultimately associating with, is growing native varietals in a region that receives consistent or adequate rain fall making additional irrigation unnecessary. but that kind of growing seems very improbable for most circumstances and populations. i could be wrong..

heady blunts- a good liquid fish hydrolysate and some cold processed kelp, doesn't get much better does it. i get a 5gal bucket of liquid fish hydrolysate for $40, local stuff at a great price imo.

C

CC_2U

i don't know why you felt giving a brief history lesson was necessary... well maybe i do.

Only to point out that stoners haven't contributed a f*cking thing to the paradigm of botany or soil biology.

All that they have done is take an ancient process and give it a new name ("Sea of Green") and claim victory.

That's the 'why' and you're welcome and thanks for asking.

CC

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
aquaponics can be very water efficient.

so can a living soil system.

both are better than say, drain to waste hydro or conventional farming.

B

Butte_Creek

...or maybe to avert attention from you first smug comment that did little to educate, but to discredit an outsider's comment. hah

heady blunts- i apologize, again and again, i'm done. i'm going to have to check out of this thread.

mad librettist

Veteran
"the one straw revolutiuon"

nature farming takes less energy, less work, less water.

you can feed everyone with nature farming.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Really the only bottled nute I use often is Dynagro Protekt,and then there's the 1 or 2 gallons of fish hydrolysate per cycle for ACT.
....so I end up with 4 plastic empty gallon jugs that get used for other stuff around the house every 3 months.
Also,organic soil amendments purchased in bulk is cheaper for larger gardens. You end up growing super weed dirt cheap....although it's not really cheap dirt.

Wav3F0rm

I don't think organic hydro is sustainable if it is taking us away from the soil.

I heard a guy on the radio dreaming about big food factories that use the sun, so we can cram food production into cities.

Soil and sustainable are inseparable.

partly, you just have to know how to do it, look up aquaponics, guy in wisconsin grows 3 million lbs of food yearly, thats year round, harvest methane from fish for power, but, there is outside input for all the compost, its not 100% sustainable, but could be. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...qK3NDQ&usg=AFQjCNE9A7O-I5IDxv1KkGekvWcklczOSw

however, as neat as that is, permaculture and a food forest is really the best way to go if you want to feed yourself. nut/fruit trees, vines, shrubs, and complimentary planting, like stated in one straw revolution, beekeeping is also important. Best way to produce food, although it will take much time to get going and is something that should be passed down to generations.

I can't believe I missed this thread until now. Poverty pushed me into the grand experiment of pulling everything I needed from my backyard into my indoor garden. I was just as hesitant as the naysayers and myth pushers. As it turned out it changed my life. The sleeper has awoken.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the title is miss-leading..

first, it's never been proved, might never be, that "organic" bottles grow worse plants then non-bottle grown plants.

second, 'save money" is not really a point, but contradicting, as a bottle grow can be cheaper then an amended grow. also on $$$, cannot be compared, as for some it's "cheaper" to buy one bottle then it is to cycle a worm bin or sorts.. some people valuing things, would say there time is worth more then money, to some not. also talking of worm bin material to use in a grow does not add the price it cost to have the food to add to the worm bin, or does not include time , labor, worm cost, bin cost, cleaning..........

there's nothing else I can contribute as the title speaks volumes of wrong from the beginning.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
negative habeeb; the title is apt accurate and even precise

your post makes some exceleent points in that the average noob could probably fuck up an organic grow to the point of fail just as well as they can fuck up a bottle grow

but you are not talking to noobs

for my part i cannot claim my techniques are low input as far as labor they are not

however; i probably havent spent more than about $30 in the last 2 years for my entire vegetable garden including seeds of which i have many tomato corn beans etc i will only need to spend money on spinach if i want to introduce more varieties

anyway all this "never been proved" talk is reserved for ballswingers

you are welcome to continue to support the grow store/nursery/whatever; i have known for 15 years + that organic grown veggies are light years better than the grocery store and recall that the same thing is true for organic grown meds compared to whats bought at large - all these points are proven to me and many others contributing in this very thread; you just havent figured it out yet

tsecond, 'save money" is not really a point, but contradicting, as a bottle grow can be cheaper then an amended grow. also on $$$, cannot be compared, as for some it's "cheaper" to buy one bottle then it is to cycle a worm bin or sorts.. some people valuing things, would say there time is worth more then money, to some not. also talking of worm bin material to use in a grow does not add the price it cost to have the food to add to the worm bin, or does not include time , labor, worm cost, bin cost, cleaning..........

Worm bins are necessary if you do not have a yard but if you do then you might as well bring some of that decayed organic matter indoors and use it because it is free. I haven't spent a dime in a couple of years since I last bought powdered dolomite.

vaped

I work at a grow store and deal with all kinds of growers . organics usually taste like nitrogen straight up because you cant flush shit out of any medium. so the plant never quits feedin. The best buds that come into my shop hands down are all grown with chemical fertz and given atleast 10 to 14 days of plain water at the end of their cycle. bud size flavor quality are all better.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^ ever considered that the more experienced organic growers dont visit grow stores very often??

Latest posts

Latest posts