What's new

LIBERATE YOURSELVES FROM BOTTLED NUTES -- SAVE $$ AND GROW BETTER ORGANIC PLANTS

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
in all honesty guys, i think we need to be careful about adopting a 'more organic than thou' attitude. we all have different situations and to belittle other organic growers for using bottled nutes could be counter-productive. it may be a nationality thing but no-one i know likes being 'preached' to.
i also wonder if there is a holistic approach to some of this organic zealotry - y'know like if you have to drive a 4 hour round trip in your gas-guzzler to pick up a sack of dry ferts from the farm store then are you accounting for this in your sustainability/pollution calculations??

Its gratifying to be put up as an example of a good yielding organic grow earlier in the thread, but although i grow in a living soil, i also use biobizz bloom - a cheep bottled nute. i'ts probably mostly seaweed and molasses but there you go.

I could just as easily make the claim that, if you arent achieving a gram per watt or above, that your indoor grow is inefficient and has a higher carbon footprint than it should have - but i would prefer to document my grow with pics and hope that people choose to try and get the most out of the watts that they use.

i think one of jaykush's big strengths was that he led by example and made available the knowledge that people needed to change their growing practices - rather than telling them they were doing it wrong he just showed them the right way.

i hope you all understand what im trying to say.

VG

sso

Veteran
..i usually buy good soil (dont have a garden)

then reuse it.

after about a month i use a bit of urine and or aquarium filter water (sludge)

prolly 3-5 times during a grow, i use either

and thats it.

probably can reuse the soil about 3 times before i need to buy 10-20 dollars worth of soil to add to it.(600w grow)

my buds are bigger and better than ever before.

tastier, sure, more potent?

dunno, i run them longer now (often till most leaves are gone and only a sticky sugary budmess left :) i like cbd)

plus, been smoking so long, my tolerance is sure higher than in the times im comparing to, difficult to say, probably somewhat more potent. (they are more potent, but like i say, i run them longer too)

C

CT Guy

I work at a grow store and deal with all kinds of growers . organics usually taste like nitrogen straight up because you cant flush shit out of any medium. so the plant never quits feedin. The best buds that come into my shop hands down are all grown with chemical fertz and given atleast 10 to 14 days of plain water at the end of their cycle. bud size flavor quality are all better.

This is blatantly not true. Maybe you've never experienced real organic weed. It should not have too much nitrogen and should not need flushing either. Extra nutrients should be locked up within the cellular walls of the micro-organisms in the soil.

Here's another thread you may want to read:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=226560

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I work at a grow store and deal with all kinds of growers . organics usually taste like nitrogen straight up because you cant flush shit out of any medium. so the plant never quits feedin. The best buds that come into my shop hands down are all grown with chemical fertz and given atleast 10 to 14 days of plain water at the end of their cycle. bud size flavor quality are all better.

Here you go. The number one reason to avoid 'grow stores'. Especially for any sort of growing advice. Please take some time to educate yourself in horticulture and botany.

Sean Price

posts like this make me regret rejoining icmag..typical grow store drivel " plantz be just feedin and feedin on N till it taste all grassy n shit" No my plant are yellow at the end for the most part, and they taste great, ever heard of plant senescence?

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
hahaha! i was wondering when this one would pop up again...

Wurd broz thatz the shizzle G..yooze Organics aint not at all good and stuff foo. Make you go blind...and vent Nitrogen out your ears G. Those organic nugs just burn forever in the bowl anyway...it's like that gum that lasts too long...soon you all will be forced to grow shitty chemi weed..mmha ha ha
CC1~

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
capt.cheeze uses bovine growth hormone on his plants....!:nono:

Shhhhhh...they'll kick my meds out of the organic section at the dispense..and I won't fetch that higher quality product price if this gets out.
They give me 1 bill more on the 'donation' than the chemi stuff...and they keep saying (at every dispense I take it to) that this 'organic' medicine is the best they have..no matter what type I drop off...no matter where. Please don't tell Rusty..I need those chems to 'improve' my product...and I need that extra bill.

Rusty420

no dude, its cool...i crossed my critical x moustache og to a pig using gene insertion, now i get that bacon flavour people love, mixed with og flavour and big flowerz like critical...i could use some bovine growth hormone too though man, the HOG weed as i call it is fetching noice monez already but i needs more nugs yo so i can get 3 harvests every three months chopping at 3 weeks flower for the heady high customers dig with they bacon weed and eggs at wake n baking with bacon*catches breath*..you should cross your depleted uranium enhanced, bovine growth hormone enriched, organic weed with my gm bacon weed to make some super weeds like people want and yeilds big for growers..like the holy grail man..:) all bud in hardmode style yo..:yes:

Last edited:

h.h.

Veteran
Soil should cook for at least a few weeks when mixing in blood meal and such so it has time to start breaking down before use. Too much available nitrogen in the soil from the late composting of built up raw materials. If I mix bagged manure in the soil, it is slow to break down, usually doing so when I'm in flower, making the leaves nice and green, reducing the bud quality dramatically.

So are you saying if you re-did that cfl grow with say coco that the coco plants would be inferior to the soil plants? That i disagree with. And you should at least try coco its cool. Mix it with some perlite and vermiculite it even looks kinda like soil ;)

Sorry there friend... but you have no leg to stand on in this argument lol

Coco = man made...
Soil = not... lol

Man made CAN NOT overcome NATURE.. it just doesnt make sense.

Organic living soil that contains mycelium is 100000000000%
more atoned to any plants needs.. why? mycelium DIRECTLY
communicates with plants and can deliver any needed nutrient that
maybe be lacking in ROOT reachable locations..

so then that mycelium, that can span for THOUSANDS of miles(1sq inch of soil contains roughly 300 miles of mycelium, STATETS), can transfer nutrients DIRECTLY to the roots of plants.

also.. mycelium breaks down the soil so then plants can absorb the nutrients even quicker. mycelium unlocks ELEMENTS that are not even found in store bought nute bottles.

You cant beat organic anything.. whether soil or hydro..

(my current system i am building is going to be organic hydro :-D)

OjoRojo

I am with you 99.9%, except to say that coco is not man made. Processed, sure, but still just inner coconut husks chopped up and (hopefully) rinsed well. Haven't tried it, can't speak to its efficacy, but I figure it must work fairly well as so many people are using it.

I am with you 99.9%, except to say that coco is not man made. Processed, sure, but still just inner coconut husks chopped up and (hopefully) rinsed well. Haven't tried it, can't speak to its efficacy, but I figure it must work fairly well as so many people are using it.

Also, EVERYONE has a different meaning for "Organic" though..

I said Coco = Man made.. because... how clean do you believe those
blades are that blend up the coco?

Do they use lubricants that might be non-organic?

BUT you know.. just from what the stuff is and HOW I personally have received it and used it... it surely seems to be heat cleaned since I believe it some sterile in the bag :-D So its probably alright hehe

But back to what ORGANIC MEANS..

FOR ME... ITS ANYTHING that is NOT man made.. and that OCCURS in NATURE all by itself hehe well with Mother Natures help of course. Anything that has the NATURAL essence still within it.

One I love is below that supports Non-Organic tendencies.

LiveStock feeding on CORN... regardless if ORGANIC corn or not...
LIVESTOCK DONT EAT CORN!! THEY EAT GRASS!! :-D hehehe

Cheers friend :-D

mrcreosote

Veteran
Everyone knows that weed grows best in caves full of Indonesian batshit.

I also think that the sweat from the 10 year old kids that mine it improve it's mojo.

Buy some today.

batman-emblem.jpg

batman-emblem.jpg

you dont need to use any bat shit to have a well balanced living soil, there are plenty of other sources of the various nutrients the microbes need to eat.

One thing I didn't see mentioned here yet is the lack of attention needed to ph your soil. If you have a living soil, the ph doesn't matter. The nutrients in the soil don't matter because they're not available to the plant. N-P-K is a thing of the past, your thought process needs to be to keep the soil alive and your microbes happy, and then your plant will signal to your microbes what it needs in the form of carbon exchanges via the root system.

It's basic plant biology

mad librettist

Veteran
you dont need to use any bat shit to have a well balanced living soil, there are plenty of other sources of the various nutrients the microbes need to eat.

One thing I didn't see mentioned here yet is the lack of attention needed to ph your soil. If you have a living soil, the ph doesn't matter. The nutrients in the soil don't matter because they're not available to the plant. N-P-K is a thing of the past, your thought process needs to be to keep the soil alive and your microbes happy, and then your plant will signal to your microbes what it needs in the form of carbon exchanges via the root system.

It's basic plant biology

well it's not quite so simple. pH is vitally important in organic soil. we take care of it naturally, but even so, some of us have some pretty extreme water sources, which can and do affect what grows in a natural system, and also what grows well. many of the supporting players in the soil are creating pockets of higher or lower pH, so that the plant can get what it needs.

as for nutes in the soil, I do think it's possible for the organic grower to wind up with too many nitrates. I don't think that requires a huge mistake to happen. just overdo a top dress, or a nute tea, and you have excess nitrates.

we can even link excess alkalinity (and resulting elevated pH) to excess nitrates. nitrifying bacteria do most of their work in the neutral and above pH range. so dumping alkaline water on your grow could result in not only pH problems, but also elevated nitrates in the plant material. We have a master grower here named Verdant Green who successfully treats his very hard water with citric acid (or was it ascorbic?), and he has reported problems when he does not do so.

Last edited: