What's new

lets us ( pray ) I mean let us talk about pH

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
There are certainly variances in different companies' potting soil mixes. But I'm curious what led you to the conclusion that the mix held too much water?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
perhaps you use smaller pots dig? in which case the extra water holding capacity would be a bonus

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
The one consistent problem I had as a newb was overwatering so I tend to be very vigilant about not overwatering. I basically water fully, then a day or two later I use a cycling water bottle to wet just the top 1-2" of soil, then the next watering I water fully again. That way my medium always stays moist but still allows air to the roots.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Here's one for ya.........
I have an awesome kick ass organic soil mix in it's 4th or 5th recycle.
ALL the plants in this latest round are doing as expected,if not perfect...except for 1.
It's a small one in a 1 gal pot...probably the smallest plant in this round.
It's beginning to show the tell-tale lockout pattern on the new growth....I have already corrected it...(I think)
What do you think caused this single plant to lockout in the exact same mix as the rest.

blwd67

Is the pot smaller than the others? Is it a different strain? I have no idea if or how these could be contributing factors, but how else will you know? Are there any other ways that the plant in questions differs from the others?

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Is the pot smaller than the others? Is it a different strain? I have no idea if or how these could be contributing factors, but how else will you know? Are there any other ways that the plant in questions differs from the others?
Yes different strain (type)
Soil mix holds water well..temps last few days from outside air intake at 90+.
My first guess...over watered due to small size compared to other plants,but it's showing the lockout signs more than over watering signs.
Second guess..... root rot from high temps and lack of sufficient root health to manage extra water.
Third guess...a higher concentration of an acidic amendment that didn't get mixed well.

1st cure attempt....topdress with EWC and 1 tablespoon Dolomite.
2cd cure if that fails...transplant and examine roots in the process.

NUG-JUG

yea capt. clean water is a big issue, not just tap but our ground water too is know being impacted as well, in a huge way.
http://gaslandthemovie.com/about-the-film
i caught this film on hbo, sundance or pbs. its about the drilling practices (fracking) ther doing for natural gas, effecting our ground water, many americans health and the environment. ive seen a film about the same subject on th drilling practices of oil and its impact but what it looks like is those companies our know using similar methods for natural gas & marketing as a green and sustainable.
some may want to check it out sometime
http://www.pbs.org/now/shows/613/index.html

Darc-Mind- Glad you brought this up..:tiphat::tiphat: I've been reading about fracking for awhile now. They use diesel fuel, and hundreds of other chemical protected from being disclosed. I haven't seen Gas Land yet but hydraulic fracturing is a big, BIG problem here in Colorado. People's wells are literally filling up with methane to the point where their tap water catches on FIRE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRZ4LQSonXA

Thanks Dick!

Kalicokitty

The cat that loves cannabis
Veteran
After 4 years of trouble free growing without ever even thinking of PH, let alone checking it, I started having trouble this summer with what appeared to be nute lock out, cal/mag mostly.
I couldn't understand it, I was doing everything the same as I always had, the only difference was a new location, and I already had a couple great grows here so I was slow to pick up on what was happening.
I finally bought a PH pen, and sure enough, fucking 8.2
I know you can amend the soil for low PH, but how about high?
I've since started lowering it to 6.8, and then the ferts drop it to about 6.2, so all good now, but WTF?
Does PH rise in the summer?
Or was it always high. and just took a couple grows to catch up to me(Which doesn't really make sense)

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
Did your water source change with the move to the new location? That would be my first guess.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
some strains are much more fussy about pH than others. or it could well be that your tapwater is sourced from somewhere else during the summer or drier times.

Kalicokitty

The cat that loves cannabis
Veteran
some strains are much more fussy about pH than others. or it could well be that your tapwater is sourced from somewhere else during the summer or drier times.
So in the case of 8.2 do you think it would be necessary to adjust it down then?
With GH ph down?

I just keep hearing people say that they never check it, and if your soil is mixed right it doesn't matter etc....

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
well, those people that say you dont need to bother with pH may well have a water source that is nearer 6 or 7 ;)

if your plants werent happy and you think that is the reason why then that kind of answers your question.

you want to use citric acid rather than regular pH down which is based on phosphoric acid and may kill the soil biology in an organic grow. you can buy citric acid in powder from from ebay very cheep and make yourself a bottle of organic pH down by putting a tablespoon of it in a pint of water.

i have alkali tapwater and adjust my pH this way.

you will also find that most bottled ferts/potions will bring your pH down a bit too

good luck

VG

Mud Man

Sumthink Stinks
Veteran
This thread is loaded with CRAP. I apologise if someone has corrected the bullshit before me, after two pages I could read no further.

If you have a high school chemistry level, STFU, you sound stupid.

pH is a measure of hydronium and hydroxyl ions. Hydronium is an ion that was a water molecule but has picked up an additional hydrogen. Hydroxyl was the water molecule that has lost said hydrogen. Saying it is just hydrogen gives the false impression that somehow hydrogen is entering or leaving the solution as it fluctuates. This is wrong.

A neutral pH of 7 has 1 x 10^7 hydronium ions (H3O+), and 1 x 10^7 Hydroxyl ions (OH-). The sum total of hydronium and hydroxyl ions remains constant in solution.

pH measurements are orders of magnitude larger or smaller in relationship to the volume of hydronium or hydroxyl present....

pH 7 has 10 times more hydronium ions than pH 6. So, shifting pH down from 8 - 6 will give you - 1000 times less hydronium ions, and 1000 times more hydroxyl ions.

Each pH point represents 10 times more/less than the point before it.

Chemical growing, to me, is slightly more moronic than high school dropouts explaining chemistry.

Soil conditions are obviously important to a grower and as Verdant succinctly suggests, if your water is out of whack you might want to do something about it. If you want to treat you soil it is a different story, and long term fixes should ALWAYS be attempted in preference to short term solutions that do not solve the original problem.

I recently had a high pH issue. It was solved with compost teas, compost, and a mulch of leaf compost. I've had low pH issues corrected with dolomite, shellfish, eggshell...

Balance the soil, and if the water needs a tweak, fucken go for it, with smart non fuck up your microherd products.

snap ! :good:

blwd67

The other six pages go something like this:

pH does matter.
No it doesn't.
Yes it does!
Nope.
Yes!
Not uh.
Uh huh.
Etc.

Every once in a while someone will tell the hydro guys to pound sand then the argument starts where it left off.

There are some great posts in there, though, and I did learn some things (like don't waste my money on a pen).

This place is freakin awesome

Latest posts

Latest posts