What's new

Closet grow

SonOfSally

Wuz up wuz up wuz up???

I have not grown in a while and am about to start back up again. Sadly I no longer have my squirell cage fan, 400w hps, or expensive c-22 (I think) cab that I used last time. This time I am gonna go smaller. I need to grow enough weed for my wife and I with the occasional friend and last between harvests. Best way to do this is keep a mother and clone chamber so I can harvest every two months. Here are my measurements.

21 3/4" Wide
up to 32" Deep
up to 62" High

This cab/box will be going into our walk in closet. We were thinking about putting it in the guest room closet, but since we actually want to use it as a guest room from time to time, keeping it in ours gives us more control over it.

Another sad thing is I have lost my personal seed bank. I LOVED Bog. His sourbubble bx1 was very good to me, as was his sons, i think, grape punch. Had some LSD I never got around to growing. Right now, for budget reasons, I am looking at getting a selection on nirvana seeds. I can pick 4 packs for 50 bucks in seedbay and get whatever the freebie happens to be. With 4 strains, 10 seeds each, I should be able to get some good mom's from the F-2 seeds I believe nirvana uses.

The goal would be to grow 2-4 (i am thinking 3) plants in that space. I want to go soil because I have been VERY successful with fox fram soil and nutes (not that it is hard with the good stuff) and only moderatly successful with hydro. SWC might be worth trying though if it gets one more plant in there or just a little more room for the ladies to stretch out.

I have considered using flourescents. Always have some people saying "yes, it does work" others yelling "no, it doesn't" and still others saying fluoro's work, just use t-8's or t-5's and not cfls's....sooooooo might either get 2 or 3 of the 64 (I believe Lights of America makes one) watter security lights with side lighting from other CFL's, or say screw it and get a 75-150 w hps security light. The last blower I used for circulation was fairly loud and I was concerned about this, which would be the main reason for going with fluoro's rather than the HID's.

Let me know what ya'll think, still working on seed selectin and final cab design...

-SoS

pothead82

Way to go man, I wan tot do the same thing, just enough for me and my wife and some friends. I think you should take a look at mr_micro gorw. Although he uses hps, he has such a small space and still gets a nice yield. I my opinion if you are going to go fluors, try those envirolites, 2--w cfl for 60-70 dollars on ebay. But as you said, opinios vary a lot in here...
keep us updated and good luck!

SonOfSally

Here are some pics from my c22 cab grow. had a 400w HPS. And a shot of some LST. I havn't been real active on the boards since i stopped growing, and then OG went down...so sad...good thing I already had an account here!!!! Love you guys.

And a shot of some of my favorite pieces...

Cheers

-SoS

I'd personally use a 250watt HPS if I could. The light output from the sides of the bulb could cover the depth of the cab. You'd fall right in the 50w per sq. foot zone! With 62" of vertical space you could section off the bottom for a mommy/veg room. and rotate vegged plants in to harvest a bit more often.

pieceofmyheart

Veteran
Welcome to IC and Micro Grows, glad to have you. I believe most of us who do the micro grows do it like you, personal stash and to smoke out a friend here and there.

Good Luck with your new start and I like your selection of pieces.

SonOfSally

Heart: Thanks for stopping by, hopefully I will make ya'll proud.

http://www.1000bulbs.com/product.php?product=9183

This CFL looks good for the veg cab if nothing else. The 105 watters don't have one available in 6500 kelvins. The 150's and the 200 are both like $80 bucks while the 85 is 20. Can get 170 watts for $40.

There is also a 3000 Kelvin 85 watter as well. Maybe an interesting way to flower. With the multiple CFL's to flower I would place some on the sides of the plants as well since the low canopy penetration is one of the biggest cfl drawbacks.

MA: Thanks for the suggestion on the 250 watter

250w HPS/MH ballast system at mdhyrdo. Or get a 60-90 security HPS and remote ballast it.

http://californiahydro.stores.yahoo.net/noname.html

The biggest thing I am concerned about with a 250 in there is the heat. The cabinet doesn't need to be as deep as it can be if it means using maybe a 150w instead. Although I know the ballasts from the cfls will give out a fair amount of heat as well. If I seperate the ballasts from the bulbs would be very low heat.

I am going to get some pictures today of the space I am going to build the cabinet in.

SonOfSally

Just orderd a 4 pack deal from Seedbay for 50 bucks (+5 for shipping).

Getting 4 Nirvana packs.
Papaya
NL x Big Bud
White Rhino
AK 48

Heard good things about K2 and white widow, but I think those selections will give me a few good moms, plus i get a freebie to look forward to as well.

SonOfSally

Right now I am starting some bag seeds for 2 reasons.

(1) To practice topping plants early with these suckas ala GMT as shown in one of his excellent threads here.

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=35636&highlight=lazy

and (2) who the hell knows when I will finally get my seeds, get the grow box together, and have it going perfect. I don't wanna start the nirvana seeds until I got all the kinks out and the bag seeds are good guinea pigs. and I might even get some weed off em, who knows. :sasmokin:

And just for fun, here is a pic of a tri-stemed (whorled phyllotaxy) baby I had. It was BOG's Grape Punch.

-SoS

SonOfSally

Here are some pictures of the space the cab will be built it in. Got some days off coming up, so the cab will be built hopefully by sunday.

Here is a tall shot of the space.

And a shot at the footprint

I have a space exactly the same on the other side of the closet, so will probably make a little box for veg and mother over there instead of doing them both in the same box. Let me know what you think.

Here are a couple o shots of me trying to germinate some bag seed.

:wave:

-SoS

SonOfSally

Here is a shot of one of my lamps that I will be using.

It's an 85 watt 6500 k CFL

I will be using 2 of those for the veg and 3 3000k ones for the flower with supplemental lighting from a 65 watt blue cfl I got from home depot.

R

rule35sub1

my mother cabinet has a 125w cfl, been using it for years with no problems. I have never flowered with it though. Good luck.

SonOfSally

Thanks.

Well my space for flowering will have about 3.9 square feet of floor space I blieve and with 3 85 watters (3000k) thats 255 watts. That comes out to about 65 watts a sq foot. That ain't too bad. And I got the 65 watter (which is about 6000 k I think) for extra supplemental lighitng if need be. I intend to do a scrog set up here i think...but I also may change my minsd, so who knows.

-SoS

SonOfSally

oh Rule, by the by, how hot that 125 run? I was thinking of having two smaller cpu fans directly behing the ballasts in my veg room.

did you remote ballast your CFL or just leave it as is and plug it in?

R

rule35sub1

my cfl has the ballast built in.
my cab gets into the high 80's.
i ended up drilling some 1 inch holes in the floor of the cabinet and some in the top. this creates an air flow due to the heat rising and the cool air coming in from below.

SonOfSally

Hehe, nope. Got 5x5 tent inside a shed outback. And a couple outside. Brave new world since 2003 when I made the cab or 2006 when I posted this. Just linked from a Twitter post and wanted to let anyone following the link to know it was me and not just stolen dead thread.