What's new

Let's talk music.

D

daisy jane

Tarkus, you think you are a youngin?? Ha ha, I am a few years younger than Tarkus and I love music from my parents generation. They have given me the majority of their old music so I can listen to what they grew up on, which is great. My guy, Tarkus, introduced me to a lot of music that I had never heard of before...ELP, CSN&Y, Chet Atkins and Frank Zappa to name a few. Its the greatest!

G

Some good concerts that I remember way back when

James Gang,
Deep Purple
Tull
Yes
Rush
Trower
Grand Funk
Sabbath
Uriah Heap
Cream
Mothers
CSNY
Who 73,74
Stones 72,75 and 78
alman bros.
ELP.
Dead a few times but didn't really get into em that much.
I could go on ferever.

Last edited:
H

hard rain

I'm re-discovering Mahavishnu orchestra (thanks to one of my kids lol). Awesome heavy jazz fusion. :violin:

jiramos

SPACE IS THE PLACE!!!!!!!!

I love the psychedelic and garage 60's: The Byrds, Blues Magoos, Kaleidoscope, The Seeds, Velvet Underground, Pink Floyd, Can, Gong, Los Jaivas, Os Mutantes, Jefferson Airplane, Jimi Hendrix...... i could go on and on with that era.... i also love music from the 90's like Smashin Pumpkins, Nirvana, Radiohead and newer like The White Stripes, they rock very well.

Last edited:

Bruja64

OMG! I do feel old now. :violin:

I have a story...the first time I got stoned(I was 13). Went to a Peter Frampton concert. The smoke was so thick you couldn't even see the stage. Everyone was passing joints. I didn't smoke. My MOTHER took me and some friends to this concert. Anyway, I got a big ol' contact high and remember laughing at everything and everybody---got lost when I went to get a coke. My Mother thought it was sort of 'cute'. Ah, the good old days when pot was no big deal at rock concerts.

Led Zep
Janis Joplin
Jefferson Airplane
Lynnard Skinnard
AC/DC---not that old, but always GOOD!
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Joni Mitchell(the Goddess of folk music---words--- & guitar)
Joan Baez(the words baby)
The Doors
Deep Purple
Mamas & the Papas(more great lyrics)
Ted Nugent
Three Dog Night
Heart(also not that old, but I LOVE them---Nanci Wilson kicks ass on guitar)

Have fun! :jump:

flubnutz

stoned agin ...
Veteran
hard rain, john mclaughlin is an amazing talent; liked him with miles davis on the jack johnson album, hes more in the background (hell who can step on miles :rasta: ).

jramos "space is the place" thought you were gonna throw out sun ra's name :D great list, blues magoos man i love old 60s recordings, didnt have the equipment back then so it was more raw power.

Last edited:

Verdi99

In 1977 I was on my way to pi ckup tickets for led zepplins presence tour.On the way I stopped at my dealers house and spent my last 50 bucks on an oz. of columbian gold. That was a really inflated price because I could get red bud for $30.00.The tickets for zepplin was $8.WTF, Ill catch them next year. There was no next year.The things ya give up for weed!..........Verdi99

U

ureapwhatusow

i kind of feel like we are renetering the 70s with the gas crisis and reccession and deep in side im liek "hell ya everyone gonan be stoned again and rock is gonna be back again"

Last edited:

tinhorn

am a fan of the heavy,garage and psychedelic sounds of the 60's and early 70's.thats when i was in jr. and senior high school.I still have all of my records and they are still in great shape. Some are quite rare. Mostly l.p.'s and a few 45's. all kinds of different sounds and wierdness were laid down on vinyl. I couldnt begin to name a favorite. How about just a couple of rare ones.

the 50 foot hose-"cauldron" limelight label
the head shop-"the head shop" Epic label
the greatest show on earth -"Horizons" english Harvest label
gandalf - "Gandalf"- capital label :dueling:

LilMan72003

I'm not sure if anyone has thrown him out there, but the music of Stevie "Guitar" Miller sounds as modern as music produced today.

Reefdoggie

Sheesh, you folks are really takin me back (what little bit I can remember) to the late 60's, early 70's. My 1st experiences in getting high were due to a close friend whose brother returned from his tour of Vietnam and he shipped back a buttload of Thai sticks and a killer stereo system. He turned us on to some great bands, many of which we got to see in concert over the next few years...

Spooky Tooth
King Crimson
Robin Trower
Mother's Finest
Ted Nugent & The Amboy Dukes
Blue Cheer
Moby Grape
Hot Tuna
PG&E
Poco
Santana
Mothers of Invention
Youngbloods

Whew, like it's been said, too many to list...

Rudedewd

All great bands for sure. What I miss the most is the atmosphere that used to be at rock shows. Today it's very rare when you can burn anything at a show but back in the day there would be a huge cloud of smoke over the audience. We didn't need no stinkin fog machines! Of course pot economics were alot different back then too, you could afford to pass joints to strangers, shit, you'd get it back tenfold anyhoo. I wasn't a deadhead but I did see them about ten times and I always had fun. Shit today some bands play for 45 minutes and call it good, I saw the Dead play once for six and a half hours with one twenty minute break. Nowdays you pay about $100 a ticket, you can't smoke hootch and the bands for the most part play for an hour or so. I hate to sound like an old man but some things were better back then (starting with the music, lol)

Snagglepuss

even
ICMag Donor
Veteran
tinhorn said:
am a fan of the heavy,garage and psychedelic sounds of the 60's and early 70's.thats when i was in jr. and senior high school.I still have all of my records and they are still in great shape. Some are quite rare. Mostly l.p.'s and a few 45's. all kinds of different sounds and wierdness were laid down on vinyl. I couldnt begin to name a favorite. How about just a couple of rare ones.

the 50 foot hose-"cauldron" limelight label
the head shop-"the head shop" Epic label
the greatest show on earth -"Horizons" english Harvest label
gandalf - "Gandalf"- capital label :dueling:

ya 50 foot hose - cauldron is quite a strange psych album.I have say Tin .I like getting baked in the morning and listening to Tim Buckley albums.I have Happy Sad and Goodbye and hello.I can't decide which i like more.He's truly a hidden gem with a special type of thought evoking sound.Great stuff.....too bad he took his life :puppydoge

Last edited:

Snagglepuss

even
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A few of older ones i really like ..

Peter Green - The end of the Game.. or any really early Fleetwood Mac

HArvey Mandel- Cristo Renoir..he was the guitarist for Canned Heat

Iron Butterfly - Metamorphasis...with Rhino and Pinera ..unreal

Captain Beyond - Captain Beyond..Like allmans with a twist

Country Joe and Fish - Electric music for the mind and body

* Gentle Giant - Aquiring the taste..this one is really special..
These guys were geniuses

Curved air - Phantasmagoria

Pink Floyd - Meddle

Last edited:

theferret

fleetwood mac stevie nicks was a darling. the eagles are a super group best i have heard live. queen were great. the steve miller band and of course pink floyd just to name a few

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Quite a few bands I have heard over the years do a phenomenal job on stage live, and other suck bad live. I saw the Stones in '81 and they sucked fantastically bad. I mean, really bad show. I saw them again almost to the week 10 years later and they rocked the house. One of the best shows I have seen, ever, and I was never a big stones fan.

But the band the sticks in my memory as being the absolute most surprising band I had ever seen, was Fred Mercury and Queen. I had never been a big fan of recorded Queen stuff. Just wasn't the fix for a Zep kind of dewd. But, I had a chance to see Queen in Saarbrueken Germ. in the early 80's, and they absolutely astounded me.
One of, if not the best, performance I have ever seen from a rock group.
What a masterpiece of a show. And the talent from every member was amazing. And Fred was unbelievable. I never owned a bit of their stuff, and never will...but that one show I will never forget. And I have seen LOTS of them over the years.
Including seeing AC/DC with both Bon and Brian.

Derty

New online book

New online book

Hi I'm an old stoner rock fan. Recently found an online book about the early rock scene in California. I started a thread in the music section.
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=107458

Every Rock fan will enjoy reading this, I could not leave my computer after I started reading thru it. I would go further and say this is a must read book. :joint: Just check it out.

Heres a list of some live shows that I have taken in over the years, also went to many clubs to hear local live music.
:laughing: :laughing:
Eagles
Genesis
Heart
Alice Cooper
Beach Boys
Emerson Lake & Palmer
Bad Company
Sun Ra & his Arkestra
Foreigner
Seals & Crofts
John Denver