What's new

Let's not bullshit each other, what yields are vert growers achieving?

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
GPW is hard to judge with. I have some plants that take forever to grow. I have others I cut down and throw out because they grew to fast to get into flower.

That said vert will yield a shit ton with the right plants and some one who knows how to do it correctly. The grow I mentioned above had a 22.5 ounce plant. With five plants in that set up if I just used that strain for all spots I would have gotten over seven pounds. But who the hell wants that much of one strain.

Granted I have been growing for awhile. And like I said this style fits my grow set up best so yield is not as important to me. I need easy working conditions and variety more than quantity.

Do you guys have any pics of a properly dialed vert setup?

I think I understated my yield but I was still a good ways off from 1 GPW.

W

wrapface

friend of mine switched over to vert growing and has much better results now

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I have a fan below my lights and I grow fine.

I run doughnuts and do fine.

I double stack bulbs in doughnuts and I do fine.

I dont rotate my plants and I do fine.

Fly by Night

Like a Wing
Veteran
As far as the yield of above grow.....who knows?
attachment.php

deal_with_it_macgyver_edition-69729.gif

bobblehead

Veteran
I have a fan below my lights and I grow fine.

I run doughnuts and do fine.

I double stack bulbs in doughnuts and I do fine.

I dont rotate my plants and I do fine.

I don't grow vert anymore, and I do fine. lol

but really... DE fixtures have a higher PAR rating than standard SE fixtures, so you can use less electricity to light your room, less electricity to cool your room... and they only come in horizontal fixtures. The whole vert vs horizontal debate should have died a long time ago with regards to gpw.

With regards to startup costs... vert wins. The new DE fixtures can pay for themselves in electricity savings alone over the course of a few grows, not to mention the lamps last 2x as long. I'm not running DE fixtures yet, but I'll be upgrading rather than buying new SE lamps and reflectors.

that's my $0.02

What are you growing nowadays Gingerale?

DunHav`nFun

Willstown...Is that "plastic" with a hole in it above that bare bulb ?......surely not....

NUMEROUS old head growers yrs and yrs ago tested rotating plants compared to hackin out the backs of plants in vertical wall setups like stadiums , and rotating lost hands down in the end result weights consistently , so I wonder what you`re doing different that would fly in the face of all that`s been learned up to now from all those yrs.....plus...

A stadium setup is the absolute WORST vertical setup there is due to the fact the bottom plants "beneath' the bulbs that receive the "least" amount of light are the "closest" to the light source , and as the plants step up closer to the bare bulbs they move BACKWARDS and away from em for diminishing penetration into the canopy where the "sweet spots" of the bare bulbs are .....now.....

I learned about floor fans on their lowest setting directly under stacked bulbs to create a slow column of air that assisted in normal heat convection with air exchange twice per minute FROM Heath Robinson yrs and yrs ago , and I assure all here it`s by far the easiest shit I ever dealt with , and finally.....

Bongstar....Doubt what you will , but the guys I speak of run perpetual setups with stacked bulbs and plants on all 4 walls floor to ceiling with top shelf returns well in excess of 1.5 gpw`s based on 10 week cycles of 4 week old from rooted cut pre-vegged plants directly put in bloom rooms with the trigger pulled 12/12 till end of cycle.....and yeah...

I agree gpw is a flawed system without taking all equipment amperage draw plus time consumed from taking a cut till harvesting said cut , but it`s been the standard of the industry in production setups where finished weight , watts per sq ft, and initial grow area sq ftg are used to judge by....as far as cannabinoids.....

Several of em have their own dispensary and the others caregive for big collectives , so I`m sure the shit`s tested , it`s just that they`ve dialed their shit and produce consistent pulls run after run with perpetual setups and laboratory conditions......

My 2 cents from all those yrs....

Peace....DHF.....:ying:......

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Confused on how stacked bulb donuts are a waste of time, when "the key to vertical efficiency is multiple lights hitting each plant"? Granted it's clear what you're doing works for you, that just doesn't make sense.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
The DE lights sound great. But it will not fit my grow setup.

My flower area takes up a 10 foot by 17 foot area. If I ran it full tilt I could take out one doughnut every two and a half weeks. In that room I run mixed strains and average about four and a half pounds. Not trying for a weight record. Just a nice easy grow that takes very little work.

I feed that flower area from a area that is slightly smaller than my flower area.

So I use about two parking spots for my grow. But the actual amount I use for the doughnuts is one hundred square feet. The rest is just to move around in.

O

Oti$

I was taught to hang the scrubber directly above the upward facing fan sucking out the hot air before it has a chance to be dispersed about the room. I statred growing vert bc of the cheap start up cost and the theoretical increased canopy. My first harvest was 27-28zips from a 1k and with a better understanding of environment and plant nutririon the yields got better. I do some horizontal bed grows trellised with magnum xxls and have got close to 1gpw, but havent cracked it horizontal style yet. I think better advice to a new grower would be to focus on environment and canopy management rather than focusing on how you hang your lights. Also 50 watts/sqft will produce big dense buds no matter how you hang the lights as long as the environment is in check.

bobblehead

Veteran
Wait....what?

Is there any sort of fixture in the world that has higher PAR, or superior bulb cooling, than an open bulb hanging in the middle of your plants? I don't understand this DE vs SE thing...can you explain please?

Yes there are fixtures that are superior to vert bare bulb. I'm not going to regurgitate everything I've read. If you're interested, you'll read about gavitas/epap/nanolux etc... DE fixtures.

Also how much do your fixtures cost, compared to my $2 foam material from Wal Mart?

The replacement reflectors cost $30, made from 96% reflective aluminum that doesn't carry the risk of burning or off-gassing like $2 foamboard. Apples to oranges... An entire fixture with the lamp costs about $400.

Agreed. Vert wins, hands down. :D

Are you speaking from experience? So you've also done horizontal grows?

Whenever I get my 8k set back up, it will cost me about $30 for a roll of mylar and a few foam boards.

W/e works for you bro. You still have to buy lamps and pay for electricity. Replace igniters and capacitors. You did have to buy ballasts and lamp cords at some point didn't you? Don't forget those expenses.

See the "In the briar patch" thread, also "Lashkar Gah" thread. ;)

Your arguments aren't valid. Obviously your methods work, probably even better now that your in a non-med market. Freds is always saying adapt or perish... Rather than change your technique, you moved to a different market. TN is nice. They also don't have the same quality of cannabis we do in MI. Eventually legalization will catch up with you. Good luck with that. Nice to see you're still kicking for now.

:tiphat:

Scrappy-doo

Only one person swinging his dick far as I can see. Glad you've decided you are pulling 1.5 lol. Is that still a guestimate or are you sure now?

And even if you do get that much there's horizontal growers who claim the same so it's not all that impressive an argument for how vert is so vastly and obviously superior.

mowood3479

Veteran
Wow... I pretty much tune out anytime someone starts posting about how their way is the best and if u don't agree ur a moron... There are a lot of way to skin a cat and in my opinion anyone who can't see that is the moron.
I'm about to set up my first vert grow. Going that way this time because of height restrictions 7ft ceilings.. Kinda excited. Coco dtw 4x600w vert running down the middle with a vert trellis on either side of the lights.

Scrappy-doo

lol I'm just wondering when Dr. Fever is gonna come in. Then it's gonna be a party.

I don't know man... you seem to be running your mouth more than anyone else in this thread. I haven't seen any proof from you. You posted some filled out plants? Big deal. Plenty of horizontal growers can post bigger more filled out more impressive plants than what you have shown here. And those growers don't have to go and rotate their plants or anything like that. Your setup is so much cheaper? You're talking about the price of a hood bro which doesn't cost a lot. That's the only difference. And you're bragging about how your Lumatek is the best? Please... a Gavita will blow your lumatek and your roughly guestimated yields away. So what did you prove really? Nothing.

I'm not fat. I'm not lazy like you so proudly proclaim to be. I'm not swinging my dick about my yields. I'm not a commercial grower. I don't really care about any of this. I'd rather have a quality low yielding strain than some commercial high yielding B grade any day. But when someone comes into a thread and shits on everyone who doesn't agree with him and how superior he and his methods are, he's gonna get some resistance. Especially when he has no evidence aside from a few pics of plants which don't really mean much of anything one way or the other.

Scrappy-doo

OMG lol. Dude don't even bother responding to me I'm not gonna argue about it any more. All I'm gonna do is suggest that the reason people are positioning themselves against you has less to do with your techniques and more to do with your attitude. That's it I'm out.

Edit- ok well you already responded. My statement still stands.

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's a question of space as to the best method to use. If you can afford to do a stadium because a colosseum won't fit with the ceilings then that is fair game but I still feel that you won't beat Heath Robbinsons numbers as far as growing a few kilo's is concerned..

He's not growing vertically but he's using bare bulbs.

The Stadium and donught guys use 100% of the bulb which is 50% more than the horizontal fellas use so it's a no brainer that Heaths method over a 8x8 area would be the safe bet..

mowood3479

Veteran
Ok.. @willstown
1. How do u water those plants? How do u rotate them? How many plants are there? And how r they supported? Stakes? Trellis? Nada? Looks like it'd be tough working in there but idk?
2. Have u ever put a lighter to that foam board ur using as a reflector? I have and it ignites and burns fast.. It sounds like Uve been using that method awhile so it's prob ok.. I'm just saying I wouldn't put it that close to any heat/combustion source. Maybe try lighting one safely outside.. I think it will freak u out how fast it will burn.
My two cents

DunHav`nFun

I knew I`d seen that plastic reflector pic before , and I remember that thread when I and MANY others crawled your ass about fire hazards and off-gassing from the heat exposure to said plastic , but it ain`t been yrs and yrs ago , and I`ll STILL stand by it being an accident waiting to happen.......

Ask Bobbles about growroom fires and see what kinda response you get .....you`ll see anger rear it`s ugly head....and for the record , the only dick slingin in this thread is your repeated attacks on everyone`s setup being inferior to your "plant spinning" techniques that went obsolete yrs ago when folks figured out hackin out the backs of stadium plants like horizontal growers lollipop their plants was the most consistent return on investment after MANY repeated side by sides were done.......now....

My racks were angled and I NEVER hadta hack ANYTHING out from behind due to a prodigious trimming , shaping , and pruning process I put every plant in my bloom rooms through to go in the same shape and structure all the way through the bloom cycle till Harvey , but that`s where mono-cropping and ease of canopy management come back and play their part....and hey.....

I KNOW what dialed vertical setups look like from having 8 rooms at 4 locations run for several yrs before shutting down due to security risks in a non med state , so you`re preachin to the choir about the yield possibilities from dialed setups , but.....

I ran stacked bulb setups fully automated fed once a day till end of stretch in #5 smartpots , then twice a day till end of cycle for 64-1-1/2 oz Chem D plants at EVERY fliproom and ALL locations right behind each other for the first 4 months it took to cycle out all the rack rooms and see if the shit was a fluke or a consistent production setup.....

I hung horti-trellis out front between the bulbs and the plants , and the end cols were laid in to support the plants within a ft from the bulbs at all times without scorching , so that lil column of air I had underneath helpin the bulbs heat be sucked out the exhaust scrubber combo at twice per minute worked well for me WITHOUT ANY excess heat being spread around the grow area guaranteed.....regardless....98+/-ozs. from 64 plants at ALL locations....

Glad your shit works for you , but don`t.preach what`s worked for you as "absolutes" cuz it just ain`t so.....many ways to skin a mule , and shoving shit down folk`s throats as the "be all end all" way of croppin just shows your closed minded attitude when ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE.....Vert OR Horizontal.....especially with the new fixtures available these days.....and yeah....

LED can have it`s place in my garden when it don`t cost $12500 bucks for 6 comparable vertical 600 watt light arrays.....till then :moon:.....and lastly ......

I`m worried bout where your head REALLY is talkin bout nuclear fallout causin me ta grow outside after judgement day , cuz I`d prefer to be on that big lake in the sky catchin fish with Jesus and burn the REAL shit up there.......down here wouldn't smell so good post apocalypse if I Hadta guess......

Peace....DHF....:ying:.....

Latest posts

Latest posts