What's new

Let's not bullshit each other, what yields are vert growers achieving?

Bongstar420

I haven't grown a high yielding plant..these plants are all low to medium due to chemotype being my priority.

I've had 1 plant be 4oz flower and 6 oz trim in vert...gonna pick a different plant of the same size, veged half as long which will probably push 8oz tops with only 4 oz of trim and be 22-23%THC with +6% terpenes.

Is someone going to report +1gpw for the 'Forum Cut' or 'Big Bud?'

If its 'Big Bud,' then should anyone care?

So instead of citing "top shelf returns," lets hear about the actual cultivar, and what the cannabinoid and terpene profiles were like. You can call it "top shelf" but I am not interested in it if the THC is not above 20% and the Terpenes are not above 4.5% no matter "how big the yields are."

We just pulled a scrogged 'Cannatonic' plant which was 12oz tops and 4-5oz trim. I'd say it did 400g/m^2 in 8.5weeks of 12/12 which is almost the same as the cultivars description of 500g/m^2 at 10weeks. It would do much better in vert vs our dispensary cut, but its not going to get much else going for it like sales. Over a g/w of this isn't worth less than a g/w of something more marketable.

Willstown...Is that "plastic" with a hole in it above that bare bulb ?......surely not....

NUMEROUS old head growers yrs and yrs ago tested rotating plants compared to hackin out the backs of plants in vertical wall setups like stadiums , and rotating lost hands down in the end result weights consistently , so I wonder what you`re doing different that would fly in the face of all that`s been learned up to now from all those yrs.....plus...

A stadium setup is the absolute WORST vertical setup there is due to the fact the bottom plants "beneath' the bulbs that receive the "least" amount of light are the "closest" to the light source , and as the plants step up closer to the bare bulbs they move BACKWARDS and away from em for diminishing penetration into the canopy where the "sweet spots" of the bare bulbs are .....now.....

I learned about floor fans on their lowest setting directly under stacked bulbs to create a slow column of air that assisted in normal heat convection with air exchange twice per minute FROM Heath Robinson yrs and yrs ago , and I assure all here it`s by far the easiest shit I ever dealt with , and finally.....

Bongstar....Doubt what you will , but the guys I speak of run perpetual setups with stacked bulbs and plants on all 4 walls floor to ceiling with top shelf returns well in excess of 1.5 gpw`s based on 10 week cycles of 4 week old from rooted cut pre-vegged plants directly put in bloom rooms with the trigger pulled 12/12 till end of cycle.....and yeah...

I agree gpw is a flawed system without taking all equipment amperage draw plus time consumed from taking a cut till harvesting said cut , but it`s been the standard of the industry in production setups where finished weight , watts per sq ft, and initial grow area sq ftg are used to judge by....as far as cannabinoids.....

Several of em have their own dispensary and the others caregive for big collectives , so I`m sure the shit`s tested , it`s just that they`ve dialed their shit and produce consistent pulls run after run with perpetual setups and laboratory conditions......

My 2 cents from all those yrs....

Peace....DHF.....:ying:......

Last edited:

Bongstar420

I haven't grown a high yielding plant..these plants are all low to medium due to aroma/flavor.

I've had 1 plant be 4oz flower and 6 oz trim in vert...gonna pick a different plant of the same size, veged half as long which will probably push 8oz tops with only 4 oz of trim and be 23%THC.

Is someone going to report +1gpw for the 'Forum Cut' or 'Big Bud?'

If its 'Big Bud,' then should anyone care?

How about this:

You get me a yield report of 'ACDC' with numbers like mine breaking over 1g/w..I will give you or your "buddies" kudos then..k...

Willstown...Is that "plastic" with a hole in it above that bare bulb ?......surely not....

NUMEROUS old head growers yrs and yrs ago tested rotating plants compared to hackin out the backs of plants in vertical wall setups like stadiums , and rotating lost hands down in the end result weights consistently , so I wonder what you`re doing different that would fly in the face of all that`s been learned up to now from all those yrs.....plus...

A stadium setup is the absolute WORST vertical setup there is due to the fact the bottom plants "beneath' the bulbs that receive the "least" amount of light are the "closest" to the light source , and as the plants step up closer to the bare bulbs they move BACKWARDS and away from em for diminishing penetration into the canopy where the "sweet spots" of the bare bulbs are .....now.....

I learned about floor fans on their lowest setting directly under stacked bulbs to create a slow column of air that assisted in normal heat convection with air exchange twice per minute FROM Heath Robinson yrs and yrs ago , and I assure all here it`s by far the easiest shit I ever dealt with , and finally.....

Bongstar....Doubt what you will , but the guys I speak of run perpetual setups with stacked bulbs and plants on all 4 walls floor to ceiling with top shelf returns well in excess of 1.5 gpw`s based on 10 week cycles of 4 week old from rooted cut pre-vegged plants directly put in bloom rooms with the trigger pulled 12/12 till end of cycle.....and yeah...

I agree gpw is a flawed system without taking all equipment amperage draw plus time consumed from taking a cut till harvesting said cut , but it`s been the standard of the industry in production setups where finished weight , watts per sq ft, and initial grow area sq ftg are used to judge by....as far as cannabinoids.....

Several of em have their own dispensary and the others caregive for big collectives , so I`m sure the shit`s tested , it`s just that they`ve dialed their shit and produce consistent pulls run after run with perpetual setups and laboratory conditions......

My 2 cents from all those yrs....

Peace....DHF.....:ying:......

Attachments

• ACDC.pdf
    128.1 KB · Views: 24

Reaspberry Rip

Shgeesh.. after re-reading most of this,,, EVERY comparison offered to answer the OP was / is comparing apples to pineapples.

Having grown both ways... multiple strains,,, many configurations of styles,,,, I'm no further ahead on a definitive answer than I was before. But.. I'm not just comparing / measuring quantity either.

I'm trying to figure total expense in time / labor / cost / problems / etc.

I just don't find one to be a clear cut "better than the other" winner.
Some like to toil in their gardens while others don't. That would make any comparison even more of a apple to pineapple comparison IMHO.

Reminds me of which came first,,, (chicken / egg).

Guess it's just "different strokes for different folks"?

Probably why I keep doing it my way. :dunno::clover:

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
DHF said, "I knew I`d seen that plastic reflector pic before , and I remember that thread when I and MANY others crawled your ass about fire hazards and off-gassing from the heat exposure to said plastic"

remember gang...don't be "that guy"

N3W

after reading this thread I still cant tell if vertical is better than horizontal.

I used to grow only in soil (organic + horizontally) for years and with 2X400W my top yield was 0.6gpw. with 2X600W it was around 0.75gpw.

had a vertical system which was based on heath robinson's. 2X600W with 3.6L pots, soil, biobizz, mostly AK47. the yield wasn't as good as I wanted. cant remember the final number but it wasn't above my horizontal setup.

as I moved to a new place, I wanted to give another chance to vertical, but this time with hydro. never had hydro system before.

In the end I found myself with soil setup and 1 hydro plant just to learn the basic before going into full vertical hydro system.

really hoping to hit 1gpw with vertical hydro (and again it will be AK47 from 2008/2009)

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I find AK47 does not yield the greatest in my vert set up. I have to prune it to much and it does not stretch enough to make it worth while.

As for whether one is better or not depends what your set up is for your needs.

I dont post alot on these threads because there is go much drama. This guy saying this and that guy arguing if he could do it. Best way to find out what vert does is read the best threads. You can sort them by going to the vert main forum and at the top click on the ratings tab. This should sort yhe highest rated ones to the top. Have fun reading.

As for which one is best we may never know because of the trolls. I have been thinking of doing another thread but am put off by the bullshit that happens. For real they should start their own damn thread.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I like strains that are a mix of sativa and indica. You want strains that stretch but are stiff stemmed. Not something that stays bushy. These are usually about 50/50 or close to it. To much stretch and they are a bear to keep up with their training in flower.

Some of my strains that do well are deathstar, agent orange, and blue dream. Strains that are ok but more difficult to train because of excess stretch would be quantum kush or vortex. Ones that can be run but yield lower because of lack of stretch in flower would be ak47 or golden goat. I also have a og kush that stretches just a little more than these two but is also a lower yielder. I like gorilla glue 4 but find the stems to be a bit floppy.

You can run just about anything you want but you must understand its growing patterns. Like dhf says runs under your belt to get the most out of a strain. I mix all different strains with different growth patterns in the same room at the same time. This is by far the biggest advantage to vert growing. It is much easier to run mixed strains.

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Best strain I ever ran in a vertical setup was a "old school" variety called Allen Wrench I pulled 4.5 units and ran 3,600 watts.

LSWM

Best strain I ever ran in a vertical setup was a "old school" variety called Allen Wrench I pulled 4.5 units and ran 3,600 watts.

When I first got my med card after turning 18, Allen Wrench was around in San Diego. Extremely frosty dense nugs... I would kill to find it once again.