What's new

Lets discus.... total smell & sound control

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
The hum I was talking about was from the fan running to slowly lol speed :D I've since had a search about and word with the growshop, and seems the SMS shouldn't have the main fan speed control set under 40% for the health of the fans... Also takes a bit of the hum away as well.

ebay links:

2 dial controller

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HYDROPONICS-TWIN-SILENT-FAN-SPEED-CONTROLLER-GROW-ROOM-/170508581401?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Garden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN&hash=item27b31a7a19

Single dial

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SILENT-FAN-SPEED-CONTROLLER-VENTILATION-HYDROPONICS-/170283484665?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Garden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN&hash=item27a5afc5f9

This also looks very promising though, just spotted it on justfans...

http://www.justfans.co.uk/two-speed-5step-transformer-fan-speed-controller-15a-p-591.html

Seems like a cheaper version of the expensive mechanical sms controller and cheaper than knocking up one for yourself lol! Looks like the way forward...

Happy new year btw guys!!!

roll it large

Coco-grower
Veteran
hmm sounds interesting the justfans one

i take it the nobs are max min settings

only thing that confuses me is it says something about using a contactor maybe they mean thermostat or humidistat

peace

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Yer I think the knobs are for min max contactor like relay switch I think... I'm going with the cheaper one probably 65 from ebay and then wire in a thermostat ftw. I reckon it does the same thing as the justfans one, I thought the one from justfans had a thermostat built in lol :D too much OG18 mixed with jacky White hahaa.....

I'll keeo you posted but I'm really looking forward to the TD silent after looking at the datasheet for them... very tidy fans :)

roll it large

Coco-grower
Veteran
the single one seems as tho a thermastat would easily be fitted it would replace/bypass the switch eg on could be full and off could be the no2 setting

peace

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Well the TD has arrived, was going to get the 1100m3 but just don't need it, so went with the 880m3 instead. Will sound like a right tit now, but I'm unsure how to wire the damn thing up lol, also when I do figure the wiring out :D how do I switch it from low to high power?

I have also ordered a variac speed controller and ATC800+ digital thermostat that looks spot on with a probe and digital control/ readings. This will be rigged into the variac for hands off control when I get all the bits together and some guidance on making it up from the kind souls on uk420 :D So should only be the wind noise to contend with, have also ordered a cheap plug in ozone jobbie of ebay I'll use it on a timer if needs be only cost £20 and will get a few ozone detection cards as well.

Here's the ATC800+ (doesn't come with wiring and sockets though)

ATC8P4.JPG

Last edited:

singularity

nothing works better than vaportek. ive had a cop in my house bullshitting with 2 mega lst mutants under a 1k(strains ak47 and w/r) a few feet from where he was so i know it works. the formula is dead on- 1 120 cartridge per 1k. slap them in the grow room as stand alones, makes sure a breeze or draft is hitting them directly, solid gold for 80 days.

a lot of people refuse to believe it, one of those things you just to have to try to see for yourself.

theherbalizor

Veteran
Re wiring,

Well n goes to neutral blue. La / Lb are your two live terminals. One for higher speed one fr lower.

Simply choose what speed you require and wire your live brown, into that terminal. Jobs a gooden, if you want to switch between the 2 speeds then you need a switch from your live between thse two LA and LB terminals.

How are you automating a variac? Are you wiring directly onto the transformer coil?

Singularity, I am glad the vaporteks work for you, but I have tred the 4000 machine and plain cartridges with pc fans attached and they are no match for a carbon. Well ime anyway.

roll it large

Coco-grower
Veteran
sounds like your onto something shh ive seen the atc800 used on marine fishtanks to control fans and thermometers

i like the sound of the hydrozone ozone gens i tried to copy and paste the faq but its protected lol heres a link instead
http://www.progrow.co.uk/acatalog/info_05061.html

make sure you post up how it all goes together with pics lol

herbs i think thats the only way it can be done so it can switch between two settings like a max and min eg 2-5 that could probably be done with a mechanical thermostat one with the poles reversed

peace

Nice one ~Shhh~, looks like you'll be all set with those nice new toys to fiddle with.

Good luck, and let us all know how you get on once it's all up and running.

strass

What would you go for 10" ruck 810m3 duckted to 6" for £63 + speed controller or a TD500/150-160 SILENT 580m3/hr for £115?

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
TD silent doesn't pull as well as a centrifugal from what I've read. If noise isn't a problem then I'd go for the ruck and control it with a variac/ autotranformer for no hum.

Herb I have 2 1amp variacs, one will control min speed and one max speed via a thermostat all wired into a relay. Tbh I'm not up to speed with the wiring, but the sparkies on uk420 are helping out loads :)

Gonna sound like a right tit now but no earth needed on theTD then? I'm using 3 core, as I have a bit left from before. Shall I just cut it back? Should it still be connected in the plug?

RIL, I would like that hydrozone unit with the built in 7 day timer but after the xmas, TD and speed controller bits I'm feeling a lil scrooge like :D

twatticus I'll be taking pics of the build and I'll post them up here once done.

Last edited:

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Not quite finished yet... stat needs wiring up but here's what the monstrous thing looks like lol! I order one box and it was a lil too small, they didn't have any medium sized boxes and the hum from my RVK was doin my nut in so I got the big ass box :D what I am I like!!

I'll post up the wiring and build once stat is wired up and I know it works :D

index.php

McSnappler

Lurk.
Veteran
Nice work dude, chunky box hehe.. For future info, I believe they sell a dual variac at JustFans for £110+VAT

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
OK so 'frankie' my monster speed controller, lol :D is up and running.... Hit a few speed bumps on the way but sussed it out in the end thankfully. Hum-less fan operation :jump: My RVK is now very quiet, so quiet I had to think about sending my TD silent back lol :D

For the meantime here's a list of the parts required to build one-

2 x 1 amp (or whatever your fan is) open variacs from wattbitts - £70 delivered

Weatherproof box from BnQ or similar measures 35cm(L) x 20cm(w) x15cm(H) - £20-£25 (My one measures 38cm x 35cm x 18cm!)

1 x 10m 2 plug extension lead - £15 wickes _ has your plug, wire needed and 2 plug socket you will need also. 10m of 1.5mm 3 core cost £16.50 ;)

1 x Sunvic TLX4101 thermostat - £15 toolstation or similar

1 x 20mm flat wood drill bit for cable gland holes - £7 BnQ

3 x IP66 cable glands - £5 BnQ or similar

1 x 5mm bit for variac dial plate holes - Had already

1 x 7mm bit for variac dial hole - Had already

1 x pk20 self adhesive cable tie mounts - BnQ £2

1 x amp inline fuse holder - maplins part no RC71N) £1.99

1 x pack 1amp quick blow fuses £1.99

1 x 15amp connector block strip - £1.50 BnQ or similar

1 x 50pk small cable ties - BnQ £1.50

1 x pk10 'Lucar' 6.3 female spade connectors £1.00 - maplins

1 x pk10 'Lucar' spade covers £1.00 - maplins

1 x small flat head screwdriver for connector block screws

Total - cost £143 equivalent controller i.e SMS mechanical + thermostat nearly double the cost. 2 x sms single variacs + thermostat = £220. Was a bit of fun too apart from the bloody wiring which is a doodle but took a while to work out.

DIY with pics to follow :)

Last edited:

roll it large

Coco-grower
Veteran
OK so 'frankie' my monster speed controller, lol :D is up and running.... Hit a few speed bumps on the way but sussed it out in the end thankfully. Hum-less fan operation :jump: My RVK is now very quiet, so quiet I had to think about sending my TD silent back lol :D

For the meantime here's a list of the parts required to build one-

2 x 1 amp (or whatever your fan is) open variacs from wattbitts - £70 delivered

Weatherproof box from BnQ or similar measures 35cm(L) x 20cm(w) x15cm(H) - £20-£25 (My one measures 38cm x 35cm x 18cm!)

1 x 10m 2 plug extension lead - £15 wickes _ has your plug, wire needed and 2 plug socket you will need also. 10m of 1.5mm 3 core cost £16.50 ;)

1 x Sunvic TLX4101 thermostat - £15 toolstation or similar

1 x 20mm flat wood drill bit for cable gland holes - £7 BnQ

3 x IP66 cable glands - £5 BnQ or similar

1 x 5mm bit for variac dial plate holes - Had already

1 x 7mm bit for variac dial hole - Had already

1 x pk20 self adhesive cable tie mounts - BnQ £2

1 x amp inline fuse holder - maplins part no RC71N) £1.99

1 x pack 1amp quick blow fuses £1.99

1 x 15amp connector block strip - £1.50 BnQ or similar

1 x 50pk small cable ties - BnQ £1.50

1 x pk10 'Lucar' 6.3 female spade connectors £1.00 - maplins

1 x pk10 'Lucar' spade covers £1.00 - maplins

1 x small flat head screwdriver for connector block screws

Total - cost £143 equivalent controller i.e SMS mechanical + thermostat nearly double the cost. 2 x sms single variacs + thermostat = £220. Was a bit of fun too apart from the bloody wiring which is a doodle but took a while to work out.

DIY with pics to follow :)

nice one mate so theres no need for a relay then?

looking forward to the pics:)

peace

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Not if your using it to control 1 fan.

2 fans will be fine, as long as they are within the amp range, but both will be running on the same settings. If you wannna have the 2 variacs control 2 separate fans on low and then kick into full power when temp are out of range (to high) then you will need a relay and different wiring which I'll post a link to as well if you like

Latest posts

Latest posts