What's new

Lets discus.... total smell & sound control

roll it large

Coco-grower
Veteran
Some chimneys have a double wall mate look outside and see if you have an airbrick somewhere on your chimney if not then its not got a double wall mine did and it was a pain in the bud to do it

peace

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
ozone gens are really not that dangerous at all from what ive seen,,, been using mine for years and years and it doesnt cause any long term damage,,, in the short term it out competes o2 in the blood like carbon monoxide but its affinity is far far lower with haemoglobin than co so you would have to spend a long time breathing it before any damage was done,,, i have a timer on it so its on when im not in there through the day,, maybe notice a tiny headache but goes straight away once the gen is off or you breath normal air,,,

if you want smell free then ozone is the only way,,,, carbon filters are a waste of cash and that ona breeze stuff is a gimmick imo,,

S

speedemon

Hi, missed your post while replying speedemon...

I have PHAT filter (10") and 1000m3 fan that have seen 1 x 2.5 month grow I'll use. I got a pot of ONA gel today and stuck it into the room with a few moms. seedlings and cuttings in and can't smell a thing (no extraction on) outside the tent or in for that matter lol, tell a lie... there is a faint 'air freshener' and weed smell in the tent. I was just curious whether ONA could handle any leaks in full bloom.

Do you use any fan to circulate ONA like the breeze does speed? OR just leave the jars of it open?

Just the jar open in the room that has my grow room in it, and one near the front door stinking out the hall way :) That fan seems well over priced. I also tried placing it in front of my extract fan into the room, and it worked fooking well but the gel dries up well quick and would cost a fortune to keep up.

ozone gens are really not that dangerous at all from what ive seen,,, been using mine for years and years and it doesnt cause any long term damage,,, in the short term it out competes o2 in the blood like carbon monoxide but its affinity is far far lower with haemoglobin than co so you would have to spend a long time breathing it before any damage was done,,, i have a timer on it so its on when im not in there through the day,, maybe notice a tiny headache but goes straight away once the gen is off or you breath normal air,,,

if you want smell free then ozone is the only way,,,, carbon filters are a waste of cash and that ona breeze stuff is a gimmick imo,,

I heavily disagree with your bottom statement mate "carbon filters are a waste of cash and that ona breeze stuff is a gimmick" They are life savers for a lot of growers and work very well specially carbon filters, with no headaches caused, unless it lands on your head while hanging them lol :)
Also I see you say you get tiny headaches but then the gen go's off and you breath normal air?? Surely that cannot be good for you? Nothing will ever convince me into buying a ozone generator now, no way.

C

cheesey

Sup Cheesey, cheers for the pointers on the ONA, it's pretty good stuff from what I've seen so far. For the ONA you stuck in ducting , did you makes holes in the takeaway box with lid on or just fill and leave lid off and fill with ONA?

holes at each end and lid on ... it its just in the tub with a lid it only lasts 3 or 4 days ...

rocket high

Veteran
Hey Shhh
Have you thought about recycling your scrubbed exhausted air back into your house ...this is what i do and it saves a fortune on electricity as you don't need your heating on as much as you normally would in winter. I use a 8 inch Rhino and it leaves no trace of a smell when it comes into the house....there's also a added bonus - no heat signature at all :)

Agent-Smith

http://www.biozonescientific.com/Tiedostot/BZWEB2007.pdf
biozone-air-purifier.jpg

This thing works well but doesn't work on Ozone. A few people on this site have used them. It'll take care of the smell and it's not as harmful as ozone.

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Hi Agent smith I will look into that product... Gonna give the PDF a look read now :thankyou:

sipmok, cheers for the detailed post mate, the more I hear about ozone the less harmful (used correctly) it sounds. Are you saying ozone generated with unit on full blast will dissipate/ break down within half an hour of the genny being switched off? If so sounds like it may well be a lot less of a ball-ache than I originally thought.

Sup rocket :) I gave it a thought but teh flat is small bro, and I think the exhaust inside may make more noise than my paranoia could cope with :p lol...

Tbh though as I haven't even stuck a fan on in there yet I'm not quite sure just how bad noise will be.... Definitely something to think about come snow time, which is looking quite likely now...

Suppose it will definitely snowing in Scotland aye :D

Red Fang

Veteran
Is it really that dangerous?

Is it really that dangerous?

I mean maybe it is, but I find it hard to believe that one wiff will give you cancer crap that seems to be the basic idea here! If it were that bad, it would be illegal for them to even make them!

I have been in a room with it on, and yes I get a slight headache or light-headedness, a slight weird feeling in the chest and ears, but not a biggie. I don't advise someone having it in their bedroom with them if that's the only place you can grow or else you are just a bonehead, but if in a 2 level house and you have it in the basement, I don't think it would be a problem whatsoever! It is supposed to treat how ever many cubic feet it is rated for and then dissipate once it surpasses that much space, in other words harmless unless you live in your grow room with it on!

Red Fang

Veteran
Is it as just as good, around the same price, and if so what does it emit instead of ozone?

edit: after a quick look, it seems it DOES use ozone, AND negative ions, and a bunch of other gibberish I don't understand. If it were close in price, it may be worth it but my guess is it's way more..

rocket high

Veteran
Hi Shhh

I hear what your saying about the noise ,i use a silencer with insulated ducting and wrap my extractor in rubber carpet underlay it works a treat but you can never eliminate air movement noise it's usually at the exit of the exhaust and the intake.

I use a 4 inch air valve in my ceiling's ,there's one in the bathroom and one in my kitchen it supplies ample amount of heat when the HPS lights are on that's usually at night ..when im home :)

my flat is in a constant vacuum thus no smells... well apart from smoking my ware's that is ...cant help that tho. :biggrin:

Im not into ionizers or ozone gen's ....it's just too freaky for me.
The Rhino is enough to kill all odors so im happy to keep it simple.

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
I've been having a look at ozone generators probably going to go for a uvonair 1000 or 3000 (I read the 1000 is better).

My exhaust goes straight up out of the tent into the loft through the 10" Ikon filter, then the air is blown into the attic to be carried out through the eaves. Is it best to place the uvonair inline or I can leave it on a timer to clear anything the filter misses by placing it in the loft, I could place it in the room outside tent on a timer to deal with anything the tent misses....

I could also have a small 4" fan and filter hung next to but outside tent to catch any escaping whiffs, then have the ozone if loft on timer to kill anything carbon filters are missing....

Any thoughts on the ozone genny placement would be appreciated, pretty much decided I'm going with one as they are 100% effective from what I read and the Nelly and Cheese I will be growing don't half pong in veg, best to be prepared in case they overpower the filter ;)

Forgot to add, I was unfamiliar with just how quiet the TD silent range of fans were, a lot of you guys will probably know this already but for anybody reading that doesn't check the stats below.... I will be upgrading to these when possible!
Here's the db reading @ 3m for the most popular TD Silent series fans and corresponding RVK fans:

TD350/125 SILENT 380m3/hr 20dB vs RVK125L1 340m3/hr 43.4db!
TD500/150 SILENT 580m3/hr 22dB vs RVK150L1 665m3/hr 50.3db!
TD800/200 SILENT 880m3/hr 19dB vs RVk200L1 778m3/hr 44.9db!
TD1000/200 SILENT 1100m3/hr 21dB vs RVK250L1 1087m3/hr 43.9db!

db is halved but cost in nearly double or just over for the TD's :tiphat:

Last edited:

roll it large

Coco-grower
Veteran
Ive just ordered 2 td silents mate the 150/160 model and the 200 one al let you know what there like beats having to make boxes an i dont really know how much noise would be reduced so i went with the td silents to be safe

cant help much on the gennys mate but let us know how you get on with it

peace

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
If I wasn't buying some other stuff I would have ordered the same 2 you have. I think they are even quieter than a boxed RVK or equivalent acoustic style fan. The db's are really low on them.

I'll definitely let you know how genny works out pal, from what I read they are well worth having around if you need a smell free grow- as I really do.... Not that it helps growing cheese n nelly though aye :D

STUPPA

Alright shhh, you got that ozone yet ? i would'nt buy the uvonair i had a 3000 and although they do work they are not too reliable and when they do go it is usually the transformer which cant be replaced. mine went after about 6 months.

The hydrozone or similar ceramic/arc gens are much more reliable and when they do go it is usually just the ceramic plate that needs changing which is cheap. also these type are more adjustable so it is easier to find the sweetspot .

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Hi STUPPA, just been read a post of yours in an older thread saying the same thing! Spooky lol :D

Thought I'd grab one of those then I read that they are heavily effect by the humidity level this is something I read about em:

humidity greatly effects the operation of corona generators FYI corona type generators are rated at 10% humidity, any increase in humidity lowers the ozone output, at 30% humidity corona units loose half their rated output, at 50 or 60% humidity the ozone output becomes so greatly reduced all but the largest high output models become ineffective.

The ultra violet type generators offer better value,while they are much lower in ozone output the uv bulb is not affected by humidity at any level, this gives them a higher real world output over corona types.

What was the humidity like when you used your one?

Where did you place it?

Cheers bro!

STUPPA

:chin: hmmm dont know about that mate sounds abit like marketing to me . I would of thought O3 was the same what ever it was created by .
In uvo's the oz is created by running air along the uv tubes so if anything i would of thought bad air quality would effect that more than something which creates oz directly from an arc.

More negs that i can think of off hand are the uv bulb wears out as any bulbs do and uv bulbs are known to have short effective lives, do you know how much the bulbs are ? they are not cheap.

I used to put mine either just inside the room (near to passive intake) or just outside above the door , and trust me there is no way i would be running that hyrozone on full permanently whether it is humid or not cos it really does put out some oz , most of the time i had it on lowest setting and never neede to turn it up.

Does anyone know if the TD Silent range can be used with a fan speed controller? I realize that they are dual speed fans, depending on how you wire them, though have wondered how an oversized one would handle on a controller.

I used to use rucks and rvk's and those were always fairly noisy beasts, even the airforce box fans I tried were rather loud.

rocket high

Veteran
Ive just had a good gander at the TD Silent range PDF, they're a little pricey but sound good for my set up. If the stats are honest ...i'll deffo buy one when cash allows.

But i have the same question as twatticusfinch -can you control the fan with a controller ?