What's new

Legalizing pot IS taxing pot SAY NO TO SALES TAX

dc2bar

really

you pay sales tax on food at the supermarket?

how bout on health care?

you pay tax on your prescriptions?

paying for regulation is not sales tax

paying for certification to grow certified medical pot, to protect peoples safety is fine ..

but charging money on every bag just so they can have income

WTF really WTF thats all i can say

the world, the usa in fact works like it already its ok if pot goes the same route as medicine instead of tobacco

or do you think its more dangerous than it is helpful?

The end reality is the tax code is already in place. Food/Medicine is not taxed. However, alcohol and tobacco are. Even if your theory is correct, and that "the world, the usa in fact" classifies marijuana as a medicine, and not a recreational product that is available over the counter. Surprise! OTC medicine is also taxed in almost every state. Prescription drugs are not, but then you don't have the free legalization we're aiming for.

It's not about if it's right to tax marijuana, it's about if its right to tax anything at all then. WHEN marijuana becomes legal, it WILL be taxed, regardless if its classified as an OTC medicine (which i'd bet both eyeballs and a kidney that it's not going to be) or a recreational, age resticted, controlled substance like alcohol and tobacco. Those are literally the only 2 routes it can go down, and BOTH categories are subject to taxation.

nomaad

Veteran
The end reality is the tax code is already in place. Food/Medicine is not taxed. However, alcohol and tobacco are. Even if your theory is correct, and that "the world, the usa in fact" classifies marijuana as a medicine, and not a recreational product that is available over the counter. Surprise! OTC medicine is also taxed in almost every state. Prescription drugs are not, but then you don't have the free legalization we're aiming for.

It's not about if it's right to tax marijuana, it's about if its right to tax anything at all then. WHEN marijuana becomes legal, it WILL be taxed, regardless if its classified as an OTC medicine (which i'd bet both eyeballs and a kidney that it's not going to be) or a recreational, age resticted, controlled substance like alcohol and tobacco. Those are literally the only 2 routes it can go down, and BOTH categories are subject to taxation.

I'm starting to think along the same lines. Its not about would or shoulds at this point... its about how's... and those are the two possible, plausible paradigms and the latter is way more likely than the former.

U

ureapwhatusow

you are neglecting that it cab also be defined as a agricultural product which do not get assessed sales tax in most markets

the industry most suited to adopt marijuana in their business models are farms

I dont see those as being the only classifications it can be put under

if its in prescription form .. no tax

over the counter form ... use tax

food form, agricultural product like hemp seed .. no tax

recreational medium like alcohol .. use tax

as a fuel oil .. taxed as bio fuel?

dc2bar

you are neglecting that it cab also be defined as a agricultural product which do not get assessed sales tax in most markets

the industry most suited to adopt marijuana in their business models are farms

I dont see those as being the only classifications it can be put under

if its in prescription form .. no tax

over the counter form ... use tax

food form, agricultural product like hemp seed .. no tax

recreational medium like alcohol .. use tax

as a fuel oil .. taxed as bio fuel?

I definitely didn't neglect the fact that it could be classified as fuel or as an agricultural product. I do, however, live in the land of reality and know that it will either be classified as a medicine or a recreational drug, as i stated earlier. Most likely there will be provisions for textile byproducts such as hemp, etc, but Bud will continue to be classified as it currently is: a drug.

If you REALLY think it will be classified as ANYTHING else and the entire FDA and government will turn a blind eye and say "oh marijuana buds? nooooo, that's not a recreational drug! that's a fuel!" then i need a pound of what you're smoking brotha.

Will the seeds and hell maybe even clones be able to be classified as agricultural product? I believe they most likely will, as their most accepted purpose is as such. How, exactly, would you pass off the bud as anything else? Any one plant with multiple uses will have each component taxed according to it's use, and distribution.

Possum

any retail grocery store pays taxes on sales in any state i have lived in.

haven't really checked on the farmers market, but i'm sure they will follow all the laws already in place for this same type of activity.