What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED LIGHTS

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I see that you can get LED's in a tube for retrofitting into existing fluorescent fixtures, anyone have any experience with them? Any recommendations?

I found led tubes to replace t5 lights that are plug and play, but I don't know about the t8.

The t5 led replacements out grew the t5 hands down. With a substantial cost savings I might add.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I thought the post was a joke. Wow, I hope it was...
I hope you didn't buy one.

$99 for 170w
170w in a very bright footprint, well above 30wpsqft recommended for inefficient LEDs.
5000k spectrum is definitely far from ideal, especially for flowering.

In comparison, a Mars Hydro TS-1000 is slightly more expensive per watt @ around $130 for 150w.
The TS series has the correct spectrum for low leaf, HPS style flowers and yeild.
It efficiently covers a 1x2 area for flowering.

No, I wasn't kidding. The commercial Electric is a nice shop light, with a great spectrum for working with tools.
:tiphat:

gladysvjubb

Veteran
You are correct

You are correct

I hope you didn't buy one.

$99 for 170w
170w in a very bright footprint, well above 30wpsqft recommended for inefficient LEDs.
5000k spectrum is definitely far from ideal, especially for flowering.

In comparison, a Mars Hydro TS-1000 is slightly more expensive per watt @ around $130 for 150w.
The TS series has the correct spectrum for low leaf, HPS style flowers and yeild.
It efficiently covers a 1x2 area for flowering.

No, I wasn't kidding. The commercial Electric is a nice shop light, with a great spectrum for working with tools.

I will stand by my growing results with the Commercial Electric $99 job from Home Depot. My friends are shocked when they see the results. Right now I have Zamaldelica females 6 feet tall, they are only 6 feet because I crimped them. Otherwise they would be 7 feet plus. Try it! You might like it!

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
If you're not going to compete in a cup, who gives a rat's ass. Normal garbage day abandoned shop lights will do. You'd be surprised what I've grown with household florescent lights. And I start my yearly outdoor seedings with 4 4x4 vanilla lights. 1000+ last year.

picture.php

Sure, I could use better flowering lights indoor, but who will be impressed? My cat?

That said, I'll be springing for "proper" grow lights this year because electric costs are skyrocketing.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
I will stand by my growing results with the Commercial Electric $99 job from Home Depot. My friends are shocked when they see the results. Right now I have Zamaldelica females 6 feet tall, they are only 6 feet because I crimped them. Otherwise they would be 7 feet plus. Try it! You might like it!
It's not the length of the dick that does the trick, it is the throb of the knob that does the job, and, I wouldn't qualify that as an endorsement!

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I'm not sure about the shop light. The link won't work from here, but I'm reading 18,000 lumens from 170w and $99, plus it's 5k. That is the same price per watt as Samsung/meanwell lights delivered. Which put out over 50% more light around 3k.

It's no competition for me either. I don't want dumpster lights for the price of the very best.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I'm not sure about the shop light. The link won't work from here, but I'm reading 18,000 lumens from 170w and $99, plus it's 5k. That is the same price per watt as Samsung/meanwell lights delivered. Which put out over 50% more light around 3k.

It's no competition for me either. I don't want dumpster lights for the price of the very best.
Indeed, the stats are rather poor.

Always take 'relativity' into consideration when reading people's opinions. Relatively speaking, most growers have NEVER seen great plants and have an uneducated opinion on the subject.

Facts suck, they really don't care what you or I think.

CrossBones

As for T8-T12 4ft Shop Light Replacement LED Tubes, I bought one each of these direct from the Toggled website when on sale. Hard wired in an old shop fixture and seem to do pretty well for me anyways.. Figured I'd share if anybody still has some old school light racks they might want to update.. Home Repo even sells em now. I use em for seedlings, clones, veg..

To the OP, I use two Viperspecra V300's and one R300 for the last 15 minutes of cycle in one of my tents. Got a 2 for 1 Black Friday deal in 2018 on the V300's and they are still working non stop since..

https://www.homedepot.com/p/toggled...um-Linear-LED-Grow-Light-E416-G2310/304970642

https://www.homedepot.com/p/toggled...ERCH=REC-_-pipsem-_-304970642-_-301370415-_-N

T

TheForgotten

Good info....

I bought my Viparspectras through Amazon, delivered in days....

As for T8-T12 4ft Shop Light Replacement LED Tubes, I bought one each of these direct from the Toggled website when on sale. Hard wired in an old shop fixture and seem to do pretty well for me anyways.. Figured I'd share if anybody still has some old school light racks they might want to update.. Home Repo even sells em now. I use em for seedlings, clones, veg..

To the OP, I use two Viperspecra V300's and one R300 for the last 15 minutes of cycle in one of my tents. Got a 2 for 1 Black Friday deal in 2018 on the V300's and they are still working non stop since..

https://www.homedepot.com/p/toggled...um-Linear-LED-Grow-Light-E416-G2310/304970642

https://www.homedepot.com/p/toggled...ERCH=REC-_-pipsem-_-304970642-_-301370415-_-N

T

TheForgotten

Thought i'd throw up a couple pics of my ghetto grow.... LED's are new to me....

3 x V900 per 4x8 table

Veg, then Bloom, then Both....

T

TheForgotten

For the record i sprouted, am vegging, and will flower in Both mode....

T

TheForgotten

Just gonna throw these up here....

Took the plants, threw a littlt LST their way (Low Stress Training)

First what i did.... twist ties

picture.php

Put 2 together....

picture.php

Bend plant at where, when it turns back up it'll allows bottom shoots room yet the apical meristem will still be the tallest point of plant,
and tie it dowm....

picture.php

And boom, less than 48 hrs later....

picture.php

The Sugar Haze responded better than the Afghan i pictured....

picture.php

Last edited:
T

TheForgotten

Time to go beddy bye....
picture.php

picture.php

Here's a plant i'm keeping an eye on, Northern Lights by Jordan of the Islands....
It's like a carrot, if you bend the stalk or even the branches too much they snap, very difficult to LST, this is what the pot i first grew in 87 was like, and what i like most of all, Indica, because it's what i grew up on, although i am starting to find some Satty's that are strong....
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
T

TheForgotten

Another pheno Northern Lights....
picture.php

Leaves so fat they overlap....
picture.php

Last edited:

Latest posts