What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Killer A5 Haze goes micro

OZZ_

Veteran
Regarding LEDs, what counts is the idividual chip or COB power, not the lamp one. I use SILs, and there are 15W SILs with 30 LED chips, while others have only 10 chips with same power... those couldn't be brought as close to the canopy as the 30 chips one which will allow closer distances. Not familiar with your lamp though.

I’m using a “solsheet”. It is three Solstrip X2’s running off a HLG-120-24A driver. It’s like a home made job that some guy is selling. I didn’t know it at the time but when I received it, I saw that it is mounted to a standard baking sheet. It’s clearly wired and spliced, so far from a professional product. It’s easily something I could have made myself I just didn’t now it at the time. This could have something to do with the issue, I’m wondering if there’s a mismatch of some sort between the amount of diodes and the growing area it is supposed to support.

In fact, if I go back and look at the beginning of this grow log I had the exact same issue happen to her when she was a seedling and I started turning the LED light up. The difference is now she’s well into veg and established and IMO she should be able to handle max light at 78 degree temps from 30” away. If the light still causes stress at max capacity From 30” away, I think there’s something up with it. It’s far from a professional QB board.

I can dim it down, so once I get this sorted out I can slowly increase the intensity. The thing is, if it needs a 30” headspace its simply not well suited to my 2x2 grow space. Ill give it some time though before making that determination. I did order a spider farmer SF1000 to have another light on standby. Ive wanted one anyway so this is simply an excuse to buy it. If I can get things dialed in with this light Ill keep using it and Ill need the other lights after the move.

Nothing to do now but sit back and wait.

Thanks again Repuk. Your awesome.

Koondense

Veteran
My guess is vpd or generally low rh.

My killer a5s were also droopy after transplant but i figured it was my sloppiness to blame... they recovered in a good week.
The light should be ok if dimmed @50% for now, these strips are not so intense to cause this kind of trouble.
If it helps, i never have more than once per minute air exchange, no need for it really. Sometimes i even lower it to smell the soil in the air.
Keep the temps over 25C if you can and rh over 55%.

Cheers

OZZ_

Veteran
My guess is vpd or generally low rh.

My killer a5s were also droopy after transplant but i figured it was my sloppiness to blame... they recovered in a good week.
The light should be ok if dimmed @50% for now, these strips are not so intense to cause this kind of trouble.
If it helps, i never have more than once per minute air exchange, no need for it really. Sometimes i even lower it to smell the soil in the air.
Keep the temps over 25C if you can and rh over 55%.

Cheers

Thank you Koondense!

What is VPD??

Temps have been between 75-80 F (24-27C), currently 78f/25c and RH is currently at 57%.

I went ahead and lowered the speed controller on the exhaust fan even further to a “3”. I have no way to know or calculate the actual cfm it is pulling at any given speed but if we go by it’s max rated output cut in half to account for scrubber and intake loss, then multiplied by 30% that gives me an estimate of around 30 cfm... so just a little over 1 air exchange per minute. I guess I’m used to hps where I need to crank those exhausts up to remove the heat :laughing:

An added benefit is that it’s much quieter! HA!

Lastly, check out these twisted new growth leaves.... you guys don’t think that looks like light stress??

I hope I’m not coming off as stubborn here, I really appreciate the help and am glad to follow your lead realizing your much more experienced than I.

picture.php

picture.php

That being said, here is my previous panama under the same light at max output in my previous micro armoire (a much smaller space) maybe only about 8” from the same light. This cabinet had the same fan/scrubber combo but it was set at “5” throughout the grow.

picture.php

OZZ_

Veteran
I looked up the specs on the light, with a 100w driver this puts out about 27,000 lumens. I’m running it in a 120w driver and I was told this particular model puts out about 15% more than it’s rated output.

If that’s true I’m looking at about 35,000-37,000 lumens in this 2x2 space. Or around 9,000 lumens/sqft. Maybe I should buy a par meter.

OZZ_

Veteran
Alright, I think I’m back in business. She’ll need a little more time to recover but she’s perking up and greening back up. Fortunately. I need to flip her soon so she doesn’t outgrow my space but I also want her to be recovered. I’m thinking another 3 days or so then I’ll flip her, for better or for worse.

Also, I finally got my water supply all sorted out. Thanks Repuk!

I put a garden house Y splitter into the cold water output of my washing machine, connected with tubing and fittings stolen from my aquarium siphon rig, feeding two DuPont house filters each with a 5 micron carbon filter, then heading to the RO buddie.

Happy to say I now have nice clean water for her!!

picture.php

She’s still not happy but she is obviously recovering. I dimmed the light intensity and dropped the airflow. Also I’m brewing up a nice juicy ACT for her as we speak. Should be ready tomorrow evening for her next watering. I’ll water towards the outside of the smarty and let her reach for it, plus it will inoculate the super soil in the pot, which is needed anyway as it’s a fresh mix.

picture.php

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Right now is difficult to say if that's light burn, I'd say is the a combination of factors... she's working on it and I believe you are managing everything in check, she'll rebound soon.

So you used the exact same light, driver etc with Panama? hmmm...

I notice, for example with my DIY COB, that puts out around 29000 lumens and have more penetration than SILs (they're run @ 47W each) that plants need more canopy distance/time to adapt when young, and they always look slightly shocked when moved under the COB, then rebound, and absolutely love it once the girl is well developed... this may be the case.

I'm thinking SILs would be the optimal lightning in your scenario, you`'re really good at training and this will allow you to maximize and optimize vertical growing area.

But I'm sure you can dial-in that light for sure.

Killer RO setup!! :tiphat: :biggrin: how's the EC coming out of it? PH should be 7... how's the yield?

Glad to see she's rebounding!! :woohoo: :lurk:

OZZ_

Veteran
Right now is difficult to say if that's light burn, I'd say is the a combination of factors... she's working on it and I believe you are managing everything in check, she'll rebound soon.

So you used the exact same light, driver etc with Panama? hmmm...

Yup, same light, same driver only in a MUCH smaller cab. Had the panama in my micro armoir which had only 36” height top to bottom and that panama was stuffed in there with the light in about 2 sqft vs this tent that has 4 sq ft.

The only thing that changed when this KA5H took a turn for the worst was me cranking up the light. So I guess maybe I’ll just need to increase it very slowly before hitting her with max output.... like VERY slowly. I’m going to keep it where it is for now... maybe a abother 3-5 days as she’s trying to recover

I notice, for example with my DIY COB, that puts out around 29000 lumens and have more penetration than SILs (they're run @ 47W each) that plants need more canopy distance/time to adapt when young, and they always look slightly shocked when moved under the COB, then rebound, and absolutely love it once the girl is well developed... this may be the case.

I'm thinking SILs would be the optimal lightning in your scenario, you`'re really good at training and this will allow you to maximize and optimize vertical growing area.

But I'm sure you can dial-in that light for sure.

I think so to, I really believe she might just be more sensitive. I grew a modern hybrid in that tiny micro armoir with this same light too and it was fine also, at max output. Here’s a pic at harvest time:

picture.php

And here is the same plant in the cab, you can see she is only maybe 12” away from this light, no problem :

picture.php

And here is the KA5H with ridiculous headroom and I promise you, if I turn that light up to max output even at 30” away, she will start going downhill within hours. Super weird!! In this picture, I had the light dimmed all the way down and the KA5H was happy, two days after turning the light up to max, she got super upset. Now that I’ve dimmed it down again she’s recovering.

picture.php

Killer RO setup!! how's the EC coming out of it? PH should be 7... how's the yield?

HA! Thanks for your suggestions it’s working out great, except that clear tubing coming directly off the faucet exploded on me yesterday ... lol Durrrr... apparently it isn’t pressure rated. Heading to Home Depot today to buy another washing machine hose, I’ll use that.

I don’t have a PH or an EC meter. I’ve always had issues keeping them from drying out, etc etc so i ditched them but I really want to up my game to the next level and get away from these stupid mistakes so I suppose it’s going to be necessary to get one if I really want to know what’s going on. Supposedly though, organic growers in organic soil say it’s not necessary. So I was hoping to be able to get away without one.

Glad to see she's rebounding!! :woohoo: :lurk:

Thanks!! Yes I think she will do fine as long as I SLOWLY ease her into increased light intensity. I flipped her last night to 12/12 so today is day 1 of flower officially. I can’t risk her outgrowing my space and with that big pot the potential is definitely there, so I couldn’t wait any longer for her to recover, unfortunately. She’ll have to do her recovery during the first few weeks of flower I suppose.

OZZ_

Veteran
Day 4 12/12

We are officially off to the races! Also I finally got my air circulation, clip on fans in so I added them to the tent. The KA5H girl perked up almost instantly. We are on day 4 12/12 and she’s starting to stretch also but the new growth is green and perky so she’s looking much, much better. However, I still have the light dimmed. I’m going to let her go as is for a few more days and then Ill slowly start increasing the light intensity day by day until I get to max capacity. Maybe Ill try to do it over the next 10 days or so. That way we are at max capacity by week 2 of flower.

picture.php

picture.php

....... and all the electronics. Ive got it finally all zip tied and wired up as clean as I could get it.

picture.php

OZZ_

Veteran
Here’s the KA5H. You can clearly see the damage on the lower leaves but the new growth is looking better.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

OZZ_

Veteran
Also, I’m trying out a new experiment too. I have a fish tank with a Flowerhorn Cichlid in a 29 gallon aquarium sitting on top of my mini veg cabinet I built. I put some Philidenron cuttings in the hang on back filter boxes to root. They help eat up the nitrates in the water and thereby help keep the water cleaner for “Henry”.

I noticed when I put the cuttings in the filter boxes, they rooted SUPER quick. As in 2 days. Now, Philidendrons are easy to root, but when I put them in a simple jar of tap water it takes around a week or two. These rooted almost immediately so I’m speculating that the constant temp of 84 degrees from the fish tank heater, the water flow through those filter boxes, and also the nitrate rich water has something to do with it.

So I figured Ive give it a shot and I put a few cuttings off of a Moscas Cinderella 99 BX1 I have going in there, as well as a cut off this KA5H. We will see if they root. I didn’t do anything other than simply take the cuttings, strip off the extra leaves and put them straight into the hang on filter boxes. No cloning hormone or anything. I mounted a clip on desk light up there to leave running 24/7 to see how it goes. Poor Henry wont get much sleep over the next few weeks I’m afraid but.... sacrifices have to be made for greatness Henry, and I appreciate your sacrifice LOL.

All joking aside its not a super bright light and the corners of the aquarium are quite dark. I came out last night and saw him sleeping in the corner so hopefully it wont bother him too much. If this works well, I will set up a fish tank cloner after we move in a SUMP box that is kept inside the aquarium stand, that way the long light hours will not affect the fish themselves.

picture.php

picture.php

And here’s the C99 BX1 girl. She was popped from reg seeds so if it was a male I was going to collect pollen and dust a branch of the KA5H for sh$ts and giggles. I do have some mixed pheno Panama pollen in the freezer though, I think Ill use that to dust a lower branch on this KA5H. Maybe a branch of this C99 girl too. Why not?

picture.php

OZZ_

Veteran
Here’s the clones sitting in the filter boxes. Looking good so far.

The C99 BX1

picture.php

The KA5H tucked behind the Pothos plant.

picture.php

Vaping on some of the Panama Red pheno, from my last grow. I swear this stuff is getting stronger by the day. We are at 3 -4 months cure right now and it is getting quite strong. Three big pulls off the vape and I’m completely spaced out. Blasted off into an internal universe of introspection and random thought patterns. Just fell asleep in the park with my girl and our new puppy in one of the few sunny days we have had here in Chicago. The warm glow from the sun felt quite amazing.

It’s a good day, life is good even in these crazy COVID times. Now I’m on my fourth beer and will need to grill up these steaks soon. Maybe Ill have a glass of Burbon here soon. Maybe not. I’m layed off until June 1st so I have plenty of time to do whatever. Or do nothing. Quite amazing really.

Oh! BTW, we put an offer in on a house and it got accepted. In the new place Ill have an entire 12x14’ room for my grow room. I already have a 3x3 and now this 2x2 tent. So I think Ill set up a 4x8 flower tent to pheno hunt through, and maybe also these 3x3 and 2x2. I like the idea of having multiple separate flower tents. Probably set up two 4x2’s, one for veg, one for moms with some T5’s. I still love T5’s for veg.

Cheers to you all! Good times ahead, hopefully this COVID thing blows over but until then I’m feeling very at peace and happy. Maybe this Panama has a euphoric component to it after all *wink wink*

picture.php

OZZ_

Veteran
Lights just came on and the KA5H has stretched overnight, she’s looking happier and happier every day. I put the C99 in there a moment ago, will be interesting to see how she acts once I start turning up the light intensity. I’ll start that process tomorrow but very little day by day.

Good morning!! Rise and shine ladies!

picture.php

picture.php

BoldAsLove

Veteran
Oh! BTW, we put an offer in on a house and it got accepted. In the new place Ill have an entire 12x14’ room for my grow room. I already have a 3x3 and now this 2x2 tent. So I think Ill set up a 4x8 flower tent to pheno hunt through, and maybe also these 3x3 and 2x2. I like the idea of having multiple separate flower tents. Probably set up two 4x2’s, one for veg, one for moms with some T5’s. I still love T5’s for veg.

Congrats man! I'm on a similar quest for more room. That has to feel good to have made it. :yes:

OZZ_

Veteran
Congrats man! I'm on a similar quest for more room. That has to feel good to have made it. :yes:

Thanks Bold! Yeaaahhhh man, Im súper pumped. Dreams of all the pheno hunts are swimming around in my thick skull as we speak.

But seriously it will be awesome to ge able to pop whole packs at a time to pick out the favorites. Popping only a few at a time really doesn’t afford you a chance to see what the best is, in any given pack.

We don’t actually move until October, and we got them to agree on a 90 day closing to push it out as far as possible, but it’s locked down and the inspection is happening this weekend... so far so good! :huggg::thank you:

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Hey OZZ_! :tiphat:

Curious about your clone rooting method, I happen to have an aquarium filter exactly like the one seen in the first picture!

I think to remember pothos released auxins in the water, easing rooting?

OZZ_

Veteran
Hey OZZ_! :tiphat:

Curious about your clone rooting method, I happen to have an aquarium filter exactly like the one seen in the first picture!

I think to remember pothos released auxins in the water, easing rooting?

I’m not sure, in fact I’m not sure this will work at all, but if it does it will be an extremely easy method for me.

We flew to Phoenix on Friday to sign on the new house, when we arrived and went through the home inspection it wasn’t what we thought at all, so we withdrew our offer.

Now that we are here we decided to stay until Wednesday to do some more house shopping. Problem is, I only had planned on being away for a few days, and I watered the plants accordingly.

I’m not sure how the plants will fair while I’m away as I did not set them up on blumats or anything. The KA5H is in a big pot so it might be ok, I watered her right before I left. She would have been fine over the weekend but I’m not sure about a 5 day span.

However, we have to find a house as our timeline is now tight. Hopefully she will be ok, but at this point we have to make the move a priority as we took the risk of flying here to close on this house, and now that we are here we need to make the trip count.

We are heading out first thing this AM to go look at a bunch more. Hopefully we can find something, and hopefully the plants have enough water as I don’t have anyone that can water them for me while we are away.

deepwaterdude

I’m not sure, in fact I’m not sure this will work at all, but if it does it will be an extremely easy method for me.

We flew to Phoenix on Friday to sign on the new house, when we arrived and went through the home inspection it wasn’t what we thought at all, so we withdrew our offer.

Now that we are here we decided to stay until Wednesday to do some more house shopping. Problem is, I only had planned on being away for a few days, and I watered the plants accordingly.

I’m not sure how the plants will fair while I’m away as I did not set them up on blumats or anything. The KA5H is in a big pot so it might be ok, I watered her right before I left. She would have been fine over the weekend but I’m not sure about a 5 day span.

However, we have to find a house as our timeline is now tight. Hopefully she will be ok, but at this point we have to make the move a priority as we took the risk of flying here to close on this house, and now that we are here we need to make the trip count.

We are heading out first thing this AM to go look at a bunch more. Hopefully we can find something, and hopefully the plants have enough water as I don’t have anyone that can water them for me while we are away.

Owch... Well, I guess literally, when you close one door, another few open;) I really hope you find something - what a huge disappointment to go there and not dig the digs. Good on you for not settling.
Few days of drought'll probably clear up any root problems you might've had, just feed lightly when you get home;) I've had my mom water my plants for a couple of weeks. When I came home, they were lying on the floor, gasping for water, like they had just crossed a desert.
Good luck!

OZZ_

Veteran
Owch... Well, I guess literally, when you close one door, another few open. I really hope you find something - what a huge disappointment to go there and not dig the digs. Good on you for not settling.
Few days of drought'll probably clear up any root problems you might've had, just feed lightly when you get home. I've had my mom water my plants for a couple of weeks. When I came home, they were lying on the floor, gasping for water, like they had just crossed a desert.
Good luck!

Thanks DWD.... we just got back last night. Man what a stressful few days. Ended up looking at a million houses over the last 5 days and I think we are close to making a decision.

As for the plants, the killer A5 is looking great! She definitely liked being dried out a bit more so I’ll continue that into the future. I *thought* I was letting her dry out but apparently, not enough. That will change moving forward.

Also, I swapped out the light to the spider farmer SF1000, she seems to like it better.

Lastly, the fish tank filter clone experiment was a huge success! Two of the KA5H clones rooted heavily, with three showing white nubs. The two C99 clones haven’t rooted yet. They will stay in the filter for another 5 days before I pull them and toss them, I don’t really need them anyway it was only an experiment.

I took the two best KA5H clones and put them in dirt.... then stuck them in my little veg cab. All in all things are going ok.

Day 14 12/12- no significant pistils yet

picture.php

picture.php

FTFCs (fish tank filter clones)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php