What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Killer A5 Haze goes micro

OZZ_

Veteran
Day 11 veg. Starting to spread her wings

picture.php

picture.php

:tiphat:

OZZ_

Veteran
Looking better! she's definitely rebounding!

The bottled water is doing her well. I also dimmed down the light to help her out from the water stress. She should pick up steam soon here I’m thinking. The hybrid vigor should be strong on this one. :)

Ill give her another node or two before increasing the light intensity back up. The RO filter is supposed to arrive on Thursday so Ill be good from there on out. You wouldn’t think so, but to me these micro grows are harder than when I have my full size tents and lights up. Less soil mass so less buffering capacity, less room for error in environmental parameters, heat/airflow, etc.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Been there, done that... micro is much harder, as you said, "micro" room for error too.

The seedling stage is always a delicate one, until I see them bulking up I can't stop worrying. But that little girl looks like she's almost there!

OZZ_

Veteran
Been there, done that... micro is much harder, as you said, "micro" room for error too.

The seedling stage is always a delicate one, until I see them bulking up I can't stop worrying. But that little girl looks like she's almost there!

She’s doing good, starting to pick up steam too. I’m bored out of my mind on quarantine so I’m doing photo shoots with my vegging plants like there’s no tomorrow :laughing:

What’s surprising to me is how tight the internode spacing is. I thought this one would be more lanky for certain, but here we are at the third node and she’s as tight and stacked as can be. Could be the LEDs too (running a solsheet at 3500k for both veg and flower). Will be interesting to see what, if any, changes in structure appear as she develops more. I’m assuming she’ll narrow and elongate as she goes.

I’m thinking I might up the light intensity on her just a tad, now that she’s got her feet under her just a bit. Maybe I’ll give her another week and then start turning it up a notch.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

OZZ_

Veteran
She's looking gorgeous :D

Thanks buddy, I upped the light intensity a bit a few days ago and it seemed to do her good. She got topped today, a few of her leaves are a tad droopy so maybe I overwatered her a bit I’m not sure. In any case it’s not bad, I just like seeing plants pray for the light and I haven’t seen that in her just yet.

Regardless things are moving along.

Day 18 veg

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

OZZ_

Veteran
Also, I made some butter out of the trim from my last two grows. I put 60-65 grams of trim, about an ounce each from my panama and OGxGDP grows into about 8 Oz of butter.

The sh%t is absolutely nuclear. Just a small amount a little less than a teaspoon (each) sent both my fiancé and I into outer space for a good 7 hours.

I didn’t think it would be that strong since it was only trim but my god, I’ll have to be careful with it from here on out. Thank god I didn’t make an actual recipe with it :laughing:

picture.php

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
:yummy: lol! Wouldn't mind that in my morning toast! :biggrin:

I've yet to grow Killer A5 Haze, but from my observation with C5 Haze and OTH, in addition to wet/dry cycles I noticed they like to have their feet rather dry, they don't like at all the typical seedling pot bottom constantly humid.

Keeping the medium less humid and watering on the pot borders to encourage her to colonize the pot, while not keeping her bottom feet wet seems to work great with them.

Soon she'll own the pot, as you say you'll notice instantly: perked leaves praying etc.

OZZ_

Veteran
:yummy: lol! Wouldn't mind that in my morning toast! :biggrin:

I've yet to grow Killer A5 Haze, but from my observation with C5 Haze and OTH, in addition to wet/dry cycles I noticed they like to have their feet rather dry, they don't like at all the typical seedling pot bottom constantly humid.

Keeping the medium less humid and watering on the pot borders to encourage her to colonize the pot, while not keeping her bottom feet wet seems to work great with them.

Soon she'll own the pot, as you say you'll notice instantly: perked leaves praying etc.

Great info and seems to line up with what I’m seeing in her behavior. I haven’t seen her praying just yet so that tells me I don’t have things dialed in 100%. I was planning on letting her dry out a bit more because the dropping started almost immediately after the last watering. It wasn’t a big watering mind you, but more than previously, and I have not seen her droopy up until this point so it has to be she wants to be drier.

Your suggestions aligns exactly with these observations so I’ll make sure to let her dry out more before the next watering. Thanks for that! Also I got the RO filter up and running. I didn’t have one of the fittings I needed to get the DuPont prefilters Installed, so I just hooked up the RO buddie directly to the tap for now. I’m going to order the additional fittings and get it put together when they come in. The RO buddy does have a small sediment filter and a small carbon filter before the RO membrane but I’m sure it’s not enough for my high PPM water. Like I said the last RO filter lasted only like 3-4 months but we were (and will be) using it for our drinking water also.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Yes these small filters won't take too much to clog or saturate... The bigger filters in dupont cases are cheaper and can take more sediments, so the thing is to purchase them in packs and replace them periodically, say each 3-4-6 months.

I don't think your water carries much particles and is probably mainly dissolved salts, that's why I suggested to better use the dual carbon filter combo instead of the typical polipropilene 5 micron sediment filter as first stage; in any case you could try and watch the filter afterwards, particles (rust, etc) are easily visible as they saturate the poliprop filter; in fact the filter housings used for these are transparent to be able to see without dissasembling. The less crap that goes to the rest of stages, the longer the remaining stages filters will last.

I have a well (loads of dissolved particles), so now I get these in 3 packs and use it as first stage... will probably have to replace them each 2 months judging by the rate the filter is getting stained, but they're cheap, like 3€ each (9€ pack).

OZZ_

Veteran
Yes these small filters won't take too much to clog or saturate... The bigger filters in dupont cases are cheaper and can take more sediments, so the thing is to purchase them in packs and replace them periodically, say each 3-4-6 months.

I don't think your water carries much particles and is probably mainly dissolved salts, that's why I suggested to better use the dual carbon filter combo instead of the typical polipropilene 5 micron sediment filter as first stage; in any case you could try and watch the filter afterwards, particles (rust, etc) are easily visible as they saturate the poliprop filter; in fact the filter housings used for these are transparent to be able to see without dissasembling. The less crap that goes to the rest of stages, the longer the remaining stages filters will last.

I have a well (loads of dissolved particles), so now I get these in 3 packs and use it as first stage... will probably have to replace them each 2 months judging by the rate the filter is getting stained, but they're cheap, like 3€ each (9€ pack).

Repuk- a million thanks for helping me get this water under control. I misunderstood your suggestion to use two 5 micron carbon filters as a ore filter to the RO unit. I bought that two pack you recommended so o have an extra and I’ll swap out the sediment filter to the other carbon filter once my parts get in. It’s taking much longer due to the covid issues.

Hopefully implementing your advice will iron out some problems I’ve had in previous grows due to my water. At the very least it will allow me to rule out water as being an issue at that point, assuming the is diluted don’t resolve. One way or another I’ll get there. :biggrin:

OZZ_

Veteran
Well, yesterday I ended up selling my little micro cab to a friend. What a turn of events aye? HA!

Since we are still in this condo, and I still need to have a micro grow I went ahead and ordered a whole new micro setup. I have on the way a DR60, an SF1000 light, a new AC infinity T4 fan/filter combo (same as before).

It’s ironic because a day ago I bumped up my solsheet to full power, and if you look at the new growth you can see some twisting of the leaves. It looks like heat stress, but temps were only 78 degrees in the cab. I think it was light stress due to the light being too close.

So it’s a win-win all the way around! With the DR 60 I will have much more height to work with, it’s 24”x24”x67” High .... so I can keep the light higher above the plant, and ultimately grow the plant much larger/taller. Also, I have two lights to experiment with. This solsheet has a 120w driver, is 3500k @ around 30-35,000 lumens about equivalent to a 400w hps.

The SF1000 is only 100w so about 20% less, but has a significantly better light spectrum. It has a large spike in the blue spectrum, great red spectrum strength as well as far red and IR diodes too... but is less in overall power compared to the solsheet by about 20%.

Im not sure which light I’ll use just yet, but I can return the other if need be.

So for now I have this girl vegging in the corner all ghetto like. Hopefully she will outgrow the light stress on her crinkled leaves and continue on as normal.

As soon as the new equipment comes in I’ll update everything, in the meantime I’ll keep training her appropriately. Looking forward to having more space to work with! I might even up pot her to a 5 gallon grow bag. :woohoo:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

OZZ_

Veteran
Day 26 veg

Waiting for her new tent to come in, which hasn’t even shipped yet due to covid :moon:

picture.php

picture.php

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Wow! what a turn of events! :biggrin: She's almost a big girl!

Something I have observed is Hazes are specially sensitive to air exchange/movement.

When they're developing, specially if focused in rooting is when I have seen that light stress; usually playing with SILs/LEDs height to canopy, extraction and air circulation fixes it, allowing her to increase metabolism and "eat" all the light energy.

Leaves are sort of energy heatsinks, and air helps them to cool and transpirate.

OZZ_

Veteran
Wow! what a turn of events! :biggrin: She's almost a big girl!

Something I have observed is Hazes are specially sensitive to air exchange/movement.

When they're developing, specially if focused in rooting is when I have seen that light stress; usually playing with SILs/LEDs height to canopy, extraction and air circulation fixes it, allowing her to increase metabolism and "eat" all the light energy.

Leaves are sort of heatsinks, and air helps them to cool and transpirate.

Repuk- as usual you are spot on. I have noticed an instant turn around since she has been out of the cabinet, in open air. Right now I can not move the light any higher until the new tent comes in. It is mounted only about 12” above her so I dimmed the power supply all the way down. She perked right up, the new growth is coming in straight, and the slight yellowing is fading away and starting to green back up.

Lesson learned, LEDs seem to be quite harmful up close. Very different than the HPS that I’m used to using where it was all about keeping the bulb cool. I had some issues with that as well on my panama grow but then into flowering the Panama handled it well being much closer to the panel. Maybe it’s just because Panama is hardier, or maybe because she was in flowering. At any rate I’ll definitely keep the light much higher from here on out and only push things a bit when they hit mid flowering.

Also, I’ll be sure to increase airflow when the tent comes in.

I appreciate you helping me dial things in a bit better here Repuk, you’ve been very helpful and I sincerely appreciate it :huggg:

deepwaterdude

Yep, I wish I had read repuk's advice a few weeks back when I switched out lights for a week. Went from really happy under flo, to wrinkly and headed downhill under the 640w LED. Learned my lesson fast enough to turn them around and get the roots going. Also longer dark period helped.
Good luck OZZ, fun to have a new setup. You can kill it in a 2x2, grow a 4 oz plant no worries;)

OZZ_

Veteran
Yep, I wish I had read repuk's advice a few weeks back when I switched out lights for a week. Went from really happy under flo, to wrinkly and headed downhill under the 640w LED. Learned my lesson fast enough to turn them around and get the roots going. Also longer dark period helped.
Good luck OZZ, fun to have a new setup. You can kill it in a 2x2, grow a 4 oz plant no worries;)

Thanks DWD, it’s definitely an upgrade from my little micro cab and I’m looking forward to the additional height for sure.

What did you do that turned them around? I’m assuming just raising the lights and/or dimming the LEDs down??

Latest posts

Latest posts