What's new

Katsu's MASSIVE P98 Bubba Kush Reversal Bean Run

Katsu

Veteran
Really curious to see those. Love everything Chem Sister touches. :respect:

dank.Frank

Thanks, brother. A couple of the crosses I've run before (Dracarys, Sour Bubba) - the rest are going to be as much fun for me as for everyone else. There's not a loser in the bunch, with some of the genetics dug up from WAY back that weren't spread around as much as some of the others. The Schrom is straight up fucking fire - it's a cross of '74 Santa Marta Columbian with Romulan that Schroomy420 made around in '03. I recently was fortunate enough to source the Jacqueline Orange from Nebu (aka Jackie O) - a gorgeous super orangy hybrid that is actually strong enough to make it through the Katsu culling (most orange strains are a bit weak, terps alone don't cut it for me). The ChemSis did some really interesting things to the Chocolate Diesel to make the Gorilla Glue 4, I'm really looking forward to seeing what she does with the Bubba. The OGKB 2.0 clone from ChunkyPigs is a stinky little bitch that won a cup in '15 - unlike the original OGKB, this one is really vigorous and I think the terp combination of this with Bubba is going to be unreal. I've only run the Key Lime Pie clone once, but I'll be keeping her for a while - there's not really too much "limy" about her but she's a gorgeous plant that has a nice "kushy" terp profile that I can't quite put my finger on (it's my avatar pic) - the Kaffir Kush I made crossing her looks like a Christmas tree and might be the first one done :) So many strains, so little time...

I'm also super excited to run some of the Katsu Bubba x Pre 98 Bubba beans as well as the Black Lime x Pre98 beans. I don't know where I'm going to fit all of the stuff I need to grow. I need to find a serious grower that has the ability to run 100+ at a time to help me do some pheno hunting. If any of you know of some peeps that might be interested please let me know.

BearCreekFarms

The jackie o is common, ive spread it all over the front range. got it from skitty back in the day. It is not dominant in crosses, and is prone to hermies if you let it go long. Most guys have culled it already.

HalfArsedFarmer

Would that be the same Nebu who Sub says has the original AK-47?

I'd like to see that again..... That WAS one hit wonder.
What came out after was an insult to the name.

Katsu

Veteran
Here's the Key Lime Pie at 20 days - she'll get hit up by the Pre 98 Bubba in another week or so...
picture.php

Happy Times

Katsu- are you the Katsu of “Katsu Bubba Kush” cut fame?

If so I was wondering the difference between the P98 cut and the Katsu cut

Katsu

Veteran
Here's a shot of the ChemSis at about 24 days into flower - she's JUST about to get hit up with the Pre98 Bubba Kush pollen from the next reversal.
Bubba's Sis is a cross of this with the reversed Pre-98 Bubba Kush. I'm running 3 of the Bubba's Sis at the moment. For extraction purposes, the Bubba Kush just doesn't produce enough indoors to make it a viable candidate for every day squishing. A "chem-y" Bubba with 3-4 times the yield is the goal - I'll keep you posted. I'm going to figure out which of the crosses I want to dig into after this "sample tent" is finished. If all goes according to plan, I'll run 40 of whichever cross is (in order of priority).
a) uber potent b) mostly bubba flavored c) medium+ yielder d) makes killer rosin e) extraction percentages are high

anything that has a special/unique high will be given extra special consideration.

picture.php

JetLife175

Veteran
To the best of my knowledge, the Katsu is most likely an S1 of the P98

To further elaborate on this....

Mid 2000s there was no such thing as pre98 bubba. The only packs going around the scene were named bubba kush. S1 had made it out via orgnkid and some were being grown but no one was doing numbers of those s1.

Around 2005 a crew from seal beach, CA starts letting packs go to dispensaries labeled pre98 bubba. I managed one of the dispensaries that got it. I was getting bubba packs from the original crew, and this pre98 from the seal beach guys. The pre98 and bubba were exact copies of each other. Some time after that, a vendor started bringing in Katsu bubba, which we were told was a orgnkid s1 of bubba. By that time in Los Angeles there were a few popular bubba cuts. There was the original bubba kush and the pre98 which I believe are the same. Then there were the orgnkid s1 plants such as the katsu, the purple bubba, and the green bubba. The last two I mentioned quickly fell out of favor and the better cuts survived. The pre98 tag is something I never understood and it causes a lot of confusion.

Happy Times

To further elaborate on this....

Around 2005 a crew from seal beach, CA starts letting packs go to dispensaries labeled pre98 bubba. I managed one of the dispensaries that got it. I was getting bubba packs from the original crew, and this pre98 from the seal beach guys. The pre98 and bubba were exact copies of each other.

Thanks JL175- great info in post 136

When you say “packs” do you mean seed or flower? Was guessing flower but wasn’t sure

Katsu

Veteran
The original Bubba (probably renamed Pre98) yields better and has better structure which is, in my opinion, why it was preferred. If you were growing for personal head stash you would probably take either the Katsu or the Pre98 to 70 days or so and it is at this point I believe the Katsu shines - better nose, better high, better flavor... Not by a lot, but enough so that if it's just for you... I suspect little if any of the buds sold to dispensaries went 60 days, let alone 70.