What's new

Jamaldelika and Banghi Haze in the open

therevverend

Veteran
Cool bundles. My Cali friend picks Sage and other herbs in the high desert near Mt. Shasta bundles them the same way. Sells them to head shops when he needs money. Smells great when you burn them.
Talked to the LUI/Great Ape breeder this morning and got the final definitive version of what is what. The Purple Lui is not legend ultimate indica nor is it grape ape. It is a purple strain from a guy named Looie or Louis or whatever. It is similar and related to Grape Ape, Granddaddy Purps, Mendo Purps and all that.
Considering all those strains come from Mendocino I'd say the Purple Lui is near the source of all of them. Never been impressed by Granddaddy Purps to me it lacks vigor and punch. The Lui had plenty of both excellent expression of all the traits that make those strains so popular plus a great yield.
The Grape Ape is really Grape Ape. Some my friend grew came out quite grapey. Mine came out more green and skunky or hashy showing the traits from the strains it was crossed with. The Purple Luis bred mostly true and stable to the fine purple traits. Both strains are kickass everyone loves them.
Sounds like things are coming together well for the Cali people. My breeder friends will have an impressive seed stock. Might have to start my own thread after I get a list of what they have.

therevverend

Veteran
Here's a taste of things to come. Black VietnameseXThai cola showing Thai dominance I believe. Smells awesome.
picture.php

@ undomesticated
It does suck, doesn't it? But then nature ain't cruel at all, it's just a matter of action-reaction...

Quite so. I suppose that's what I meant. Nature doesn't much care about what we want, either way.

Yeap! I'll give it one more squeeze, then vacuum seal and into the ground for a month or two. Then I'll call Lazarus out:biggrin:

:tiphat:Orpheus

I've wanted to make a cob to see what it's like compared to jar curing. Are there any important details one should know before attempting it? Type of wrapping paper/material? Do you dry it to curing spec (approx. 50-60% RH) before wrapping? Do you let it dry more in the wrapping? Is it necessary to have a true vacuum sealer or can one use a tight wrap of some plastic (or plastic bag) to bury it in? Do you need to bury it a specific depth or during particular seasons? I'm sorry for the barrage of questions... I'm only asking because I have not seen much concrete info on the process.

Much obliged! And good luck with yours.

ying.gif

therevverend

Veteran
If Orfeas says he vacuum seals it it is probably necessary. I would think the changing temperatures would draw moisture in unless you either seal or use desiccant. What a great/crazy idea I never would think to try that. Especially safe way to store. You old world people have the know how to age everything, cheese, booze, pork, and also ganja. We're only now rediscovering a lot of these techniques out here on the west coast.
My Malawi and Viet Black/Thai are frosting up fast. Here's a close up of the Thai Pheno 1 of the VB/T.
picture.php

orfeas

Veteran
Quite so. I suppose that's what I meant. Nature doesn't much care about what we want, either way.

I've wanted to make a cob to see what it's like compared to jar curing. Are there any important details one should know before attempting it? Type of wrapping paper/material? Do you dry it to curing spec (approx. 50-60% RH) before wrapping? Do you let it dry more in the wrapping? Is it necessary to have a true vacuum sealer or can one use a tight wrap of some plastic (or plastic bag) to bury it in? Do you need to bury it a specific depth or during particular seasons? I'm sorry for the barrage of questions... I'm only asking because I have not seen much concrete info on the process.

Much obliged! And good luck with yours.

View Image

Sorry for the belated response, too much to handle...

First of all I use no gauges whatsoever to measure properties such as RH. The bundle was cured for about a month in my cool well-ventilated and relatively dry cellar the gauge being me nose and fingers. No particular paper, newspaper might as well do the trick. I haven't applied this particular technique before but I was intrigued by someone's description on making a cobb and since my twigs had looked somewhat similar I decide to give it a try...

However, I have done something more or less the same as that a few times before not using bundles but nugs in jars with the former being as squeezed as can be to get as much air out as possible and then seal the jar with adhesive tape. Then wrapped the jar(s) in plastic and burry it about a foot deep, the concept behing it being the almost steady temperature or at least with minor flactuation regardless of the season. When dug out round Easter, the end product always turned out mellow sweet aromatic and distinctively stronger.
Hope I helped.

@therevverend

thanks for the compliments, lad! You're absolutely right about the moisture bit.
Yet, I have always thought you west coast(not only) people could anytime resort to the knowledge of the natives, although I find despicable what has been done to them...

Sorry for the belated response, too much to handle...

First of all I use no gauges whatsoever to measure properties such as RH. The bundle was cured for about a month in my cool well-ventilated and relatively dry cellar the gauge being me nose and fingers. No particular paper, newspaper might as well do the trick. I haven't applied this particular technique before but I was intrigued by someone's description on making a cobb and since my twigs had looked somewhat similar I decide to give it a try...

However, I have done something more or less the same as that a few times before not using bundles but nugs in jars with the former being as squeezed as can be to get as much air out as possible and then seal the jar with adhesive tape. Then wrapped the jar(s) in plastic and burry it about a foot deep, the concept behing it being the almost steady temperature or at least with minor flactuation regardless of the season. When dug out round Easter, the end product always turned out mellow sweet aromatic and distinctively stronger.
Hope I helped.

No problem regarding the late reply. Thanks so much for the tips; I know it was asking a lot! :huggg:

:ying:

orfeas

Veteran
Good morning Vietnam!

While many a townsfolk of mine are as busy as a bee brewing their tsipouro(65-70% minimum alcohol) I set my ice bucket in gear and stir about a pound of Jamal Hash and voila!

@undomesticated
Anytime ma'am!

Attachments

• P1080001.jpg
    P1080001.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 11
  • P1080002.jpg
    P1080002.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

makedon

Veteran
hola bro

nice looking hash
as for the tsipoyro,def not a year for me bro,first time after many years botrytis fucks my entire crop,we talk about 60-80 litres aaa quality....shit happens
sorry for my English

tsipoyro with some nice smoke its like some real good exercise for your brain :dance013:

:tiphat:

therevverend

Veteran
All the years I've spent brewing mead and beer I've always wanted to make a still. Now that cannabis is legal I need to build one to maintain my outlaw credentials.
Love that Ice Bucket hash trick I'll be making my sift from my trim in a few days. I'll try and post a couple pics.
I think the best parallel to our Indian Reservations are the Gypsies in Europe. Town I moved to when I was 12 had a reservation. I had a real dark tan that summer plus I have a Mediterranean complexion. So for the first couple months there I had to hang out with the indians, eat at their lunch table, play in their football game at recess. The teacher gave me bad grades acted like I couldn't read or write. After my tan faded I was allowed to hang out with the "normal" kids but I never liked that town.
On the rez you see broken down cars in all the yards, garbage and clothes everywhere. Everyone is on the dole so they're drunk on ice malt liquor by noon.
The thing that saved my friends who lived out there, they could fish and make money. Didn't give a damn about school they knew they could sail to Alaska every summer and make more than the teachers did. And that's the one food craft type thing passed down that they still have and will always have. Plank cooked salmon and smoked salmon. Crabs and shellfish and everything else from the sea.
It's amazing the amount of lost food sources we have out here, stuff that was the staple for thousands of years until the Europeans came and gave them food stamps. If you look at the history that's what the US government did, eradicate the local food supply. Then they had to go to the reservations and eat government leftovers or starve.

orfeas

Veteran
All the years I've spent brewing mead and beer I've always wanted to make a still. Now that cannabis is legal I need to build one to maintain my outlaw credentials.
Love that Ice Bucket hash trick I'll be making my sift from my trim in a few days. I'll try and post a couple pics.
I think the best parallel to our Indian Reservations are the Gypsies in Europe. Town I moved to when I was 12 had a reservation. I had a real dark tan that summer plus I have a Mediterranean complexion. So for the first couple months there I had to hang out with the indians, eat at their lunch table, play in their football game at recess. The teacher gave me bad grades acted like I couldn't read or write. After my tan faded I was allowed to hang out with the "normal" kids but I never liked that town.
On the rez you see broken down cars in all the yards, garbage and clothes everywhere. Everyone is on the dole so they're drunk on ice malt liquor by noon.
The thing that saved my friends who lived out there, they could fish and make money. Didn't give a damn about school they knew they could sail to Alaska every summer and make more than the teachers did. And that's the one food craft type thing passed down that they still have and will always have. Plank cooked salmon and smoked salmon. Crabs and shellfish and everything else from the sea.
It's amazing the amount of lost food sources we have out here, stuff that was the staple for thousands of years until the Europeans came and gave them food stamps. If you look at the history that's what the US government did, eradicate the local food supply. Then they had to go to the reservations and eat government leftovers or starve.

Your early teenage memoir sounds very interesting.
However, bear in mind that Gypsies and Indians( I prefer the term Native Americans) are not comparable parts at all and being nomadic once was the only thing they had in common...

orfeas

Veteran
An unorthodox smoke report

An unorthodox smoke report

Still are the stills
the hard liquor in the bottles
fragrant buds packed in jars
pure resin in cellophane
that’s so profane…
makes me feel like a primitive mammal
winter’s provisions stashed away

Bangi Haze is excellent
Jamaldelica is even more
The latter being racy a tad
Only for a quarter or so
When a vise squeezes my temples
Yielding a euphoric sense of being
Clearing my vision
Like windscreen wipers
Then comes this floating feeling
Hence the slight balance imbalance
Memory is not enhanced
but it might as well be me
comes with ageing they say...

I wonder what it would be like
Did I smoke a three blade spliff…
For both seem to have no ceiling…

Last edited:

therevverend

Veteran
Your right of course I only meant in terms of how "we" discriminate against them. Until people realize "they" are "we" and "we" are "them".

Hah, indeed. Have you ever seen those kits from Clawhammer Supply (Google it, if not)? They look nice. I had figured since distilling alcohol here is so regulated, it would be more difficult to actually get a still.

Still are the stills
the hard liquor in the bottles
fragrant buds packed in jars
pure resin in cellophane
that’s so profane…
makes me feel like a primitive mammal
winter’s provisions stashed away

Bangi Haze is excellent
Jamaldelica is even more
The latter being racy a tad
Only for a quarter or so
When a vise sqeezes my temples
Yielding a euphoric sense of being
Clearing my vision
Like windscreen wipers
Then comes this floating feeling
Hence the slight balance imbalance
Memory is not enhanced
but it might as well be me
comes with ageing they say...

I wonder what it would be like
Did I smoke a three blade spliff…
For both seem to have no ceiling…

Very pretty and accurate!

:ying:

orfeas

Veteran
Oye TB!
I don't think you've misinterpreted my report, it must have been its lack of explicitness or critical factors...A comprehensive smoke report should entail much more detail as to dosage, environment, emotional state at the time being and any incentive that might enhance or worsen the effect...But like I said it was an unorthodox one.

Nevertheless it's sweet-emotion's post that says it all about what we're after in this line. Curing might be the key here...
And when I say I am not that satisfied with it I mean not completely satisfied like some fellow growers claim to be. But then the higher the expectations we have the more prone to false conclusions we might be...

@Undomesticated
Laconic speech I always favour. Thanks heaps!

konopenko

Veteran
Clearing my vision
Like windscreen wipers

That kinta poetry is something new :) I saw Orfeas in a car, eyes were red and rain was pouring on dry Greek soil. But all is fine, horizons are clear and ganjas are moving slowly in evening breeze :bongsmi:

orfeas

Veteran
.. I saw Orfeas in a car, eyes were red and rain was pouring on dry Greek soil. But all is fine, horizons are clear and ganjas are moving slowly in evening breeze :bongsmi:

Right on, mate! Seems as if poetry is contagious at least to those carrying the "microbe"...
You pictured it just about right!

I always get the thrill when speeding out of a bend, but with Jamaldelica in the head you just sit back and watch the track:biggrin:

therevverend

Veteran
Since this has turned into orfeas' poetry parlor I should make a contribution. It is from the book Hashish by Robert Connell Clarke. It is lyrics from a Greek folk song in a style of music called Rebetika that was popular among stoners in the 1920's and 30's. Maybe Orfeas can sing it for us..

Secretly in a boat I went
And came to Thrakou's cave
I saw there three men stoned on hashish
Stretched out in the sand

It was Batis and Artemis
And Stratos the lazy one
Hey you Strato! Yes you Strato!
Fix us a fine narghile,

So old Batis can smoke
Who's been a dervish for years
And Artemis too
Who brings us stuff wherever he goes

He sends us hashish from Constantinople
And all of us get high
And fine Persian tobacco
The mangas smoke it in peace.

from the song "Secretly In a Boat I Went" by Batis 1936

A narghile is a bong. A dervish is a stoner. Mangas are cool working class guys, they wear wool hats, tight pants, beads, pointy shoes, knives in their belts, grow long mustaches, and swagger as they walk. Maybe Orfeas knows what the word means in modern terms..
I need to find some of this music, get high, and listen to it. I will do that now..

therevverend

Veteran
While listening to George Batis play I had an epiphany. The book Hashish compared rebetika to jazz which is wrong. It's 1930's blues. He reminds me a lot of Son House. Super scratchy voice smoked a million bong hits and cigarettes while drinking whiskey. Love those kind of singers.

therevverend

Veteran
All these songs about smoking hashish, time to share my hashish tech. I use the Afghan style. I get up early on a frosty cold morning. The night before I put my plant material in the freezer and my sieves in a cold dry place.
First I put the plant matter in my bulk sieve. Than I thrash it with sticks. Whatever goes through the screen I put in my precision sieve stack. Right now it is 250 microns, 180 microns, and 53 microns. I use a paint brush to gently move it around so it drops through each layer of screen, leaving behind the plant matter and hairs. In the 53 micron screen I move it around so all the dust and dirt falls out.
At this point it looks like this.
picture.php

picture.php

It is on top of my bulk sieve in a piece of cellophane.
Than I hand press it. I sit by the wood stove and warm it between my hands. Then I press it and form it into a piece. When I am finished it looks like this.
picture.php

It is the size of a chocolate chip cookie. The taste and smell is superior. By dry sieving I keep all the terpenes that are washed away by water extraction. A real treat.
I'll finish with another poem from Clarke's book Hashish. It is about Baba Ku. He is the religious teacher who taught hashish culture to Central Asia, especially Afghanistan. Baba Ku walked through the countryside curing plague victims by placing small sticky balls in their mouths like pills.
He is portrayed with a huge 40 liter bong placed in a cold mountain stream. The fresh water could circulate through an opening to cool the smoke. Before his death he gave ganja seeds and gold to ten Afghan families who were charged with carrying on the cultivation of healing herbs.
His tomb is said to be near Balkh in Afghanistan.

Oh' Baba Ku the most high
Flowers adorn your grave
In Spring and Winter too

Oh Baba Ku the most high
This pipe is done so bring on another one!