What's new

Jamaldelika and Banghi Haze in the open

orfeas

Veteran
Since this has turned into orfeas' poetry parlor I should make a contribution. It is from the book Hashish by Robert Connell Clarke. It is lyrics from a Greek folk song in a style of music called Rebetika that was popular among stoners in the 1920's and 30's. Maybe Orfeas can sing it for us..
A narghile is a bong. A dervish is a stoner. Mangas are cool working class guys, they wear wool hats, tight pants, beads, pointy shoes, knives in their belts, grow long mustaches, and swagger as they walk. Maybe Orfeas knows what the word means in modern terms..
I need to find some of this music, get high, and listen to it. I will do that now..

First of all, R.C. Clarke should have use Past tense since what he depicts is obsolete now. Yet, perfectly true for the '20s & 30's...
The term "mangas" was used for those belonging to irregular troops called Manga(deriving from Albanian/Turkish) after the 1821 Greek Revolution and initially only positive attributes were attached to it.
The contemporary use of the term carries both negative and positive meaning, the latter meaning a straightforward, cool bloke who doesn't need to show off but let his actions speak for him, whereas to the former certain prefixes have been added, such as shitty-mangas, false-mangas or heavy-mangas.

To Rebetika now, the comparison to 20's-30's blues is sound/plausible since there are similarities in rhythm and lyrics as well as in social origin.
We had to rediscover the genre after '74 for there had been a ban on music and poetry of the kind. Before that and during the 7-year coup one could be taken to gaol if caught listening to Rebetika or Theodorakis and the rest...
What I find extremely interesting is the Zeibekikos dance performed strictly by men to Rebetika rhythm, Zeibekikos being a term mentioned by Herodotus describing certain Greeks from Macedonia, Thrace and Ionia(Minor Asia coastal area)...

Below are two versions of a particular Rebetiko, the first one being the original and the second one being a contemporary version by a very close friend of mine. Were I to sing to you, I would like the second one.

Enjoy!

:tiphat:Orpheus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-sxRU7nnO0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQwYzc53JYc

orfeas

Veteran
On a footnote I have to add that the original Rebetiko was played at 9/8 while later some Rebetis(Rebetika players) also played at 4/4 or 2/4...

Last edited:

therevverend

Veteran
Yeah I got the feeling mangas were real old school working class badasses back in the day. Now that everyone's gotten soft you'd look like a poser trying to strut around like that.
The old version of Rebetika, I found a song by the same musician. At least the guy in the photo on Youtube, sounded a lot like Walk the Line by Johnny Cash, it was awesome...ok found the name of the singer. His name was Kostis Bezos. No idea if your You Tube song is also by him but his picture shows up in there...ok edit again, it is Bezos. Man that guy is great. Great voice, stripped down simple guitar sounds like gunslinger music.
One more edit, the song that reminded me of Walk the Line is called Hubble Bubble. I need to translate the lyrics..
I like Hank Williams, Cash, old Dylan, a lot of that old folk and blues from 30's-60's. Rebetika has a similar rhythm to a lot of that stuff, also like how the singer is almost chanting and talking instead of trying to sing. Of course it is far more Eastern sounding..

Last edited:

therevverend

Veteran
You know far more about this than me, I read the way the regime got rid of rebetika, they took it main stream. Cleaned up the lyrics, smoothed it out and turned it into pop music. That's why there's so few recordings of old man Batis, he refused to perform censored versions of his songs.

orfeas

Veteran
Good morning PNW!!!

"When you come and dig me out of the ashes
and shake all the rust off me
and place my wheels back on track again
I will start to roll and roll and roll again
then sadness will be looking for me
and jobless it will lament
relentless the rains will fall
and they will ask
what's happened to that train
that watched the other trains go by... "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuRbI4uhapo

A contemporary tune americano influenced...

Last edited:

orfeas

Veteran
...I read the way the regime got rid of rebetika, they took it main stream. Cleaned up the lyrics, smoothed it out and turned it into pop music. That's why there's so few recordings of old man Batis, he refused to perform censored versions of his songs.

You got it absolutely right and that's why many songs were recorded in Athens for American record companies and released in the States...
But when the coup was down in '74 and sensorship was no more, musicians were free to play and sing...

" ...God smoked hasish and created the world
and passed it on to man to get high as well..."

The "amanes" introduction shouldn't be confused with Turkish chanting for it is based on Greek-Byzantine religious chanting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=583nKNDsJec

makedon

Veteran
thats some great song there :dance013: heares one of the latest rempetes i think,defently mine favorite as he wrote the song for my football club also :biggrin:
[YOUTUBEIF]OS_nFpcwBSY[/YOUTUBEIF]

:tiphat:

orfeas

Veteran
Hi, folks!
This is just a quicky to let you know of what two friends of mine commented after having toked Jamaldelica bubble hash.

One said it was a real trip.

The other one said it felt as if he were on a leaf on a windy day:biggrin:

However, the grass itself was not that strong...

tjo

life gardener
Veteran
i agree 100% the bubble hash from jamdel is like

lsd....one of the best hash i ve ever smoke!

to trip or not to trip??? :biggrin:

tjo

ThaiBliss

Veteran
The other one said it felt as if he were on a leaf on a windy day

I can tell from reports like above, that it is in there. You have to coax it out in just right way, or find the right pheno.

I also know because I have grown one, and a cross from one. Both showed as much potential as anything I have grown in recent years.

ThaiBliss

orfeas

Veteran
I can tell from reports like above, that it is in there. You have to coax it out in just right way, or find the right pheno.

I also know because I have grown one, and a cross from one. Both showed as much potential as anything I have grown in recent years.

ThaiBliss

You hit the nail on the head, right on mate!
IT is in there, but as you say it needs coaxing out... the right pheno I suppose too, plus right harvest time.

Moreover, I can't fail to recall that comment of yours on the Bangi bubble:biggrin:

Last edited: