What's new

jamaican "lambsbread"

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
On the EAG pics of nugs, many of the nug shots look like standard hybrids, dense and all. That could be due to compression and cure though. I think so? The pics of the Shashamane plant growing do not show dense nugs.

Wwbsox

False bullshit, our Vibes Collective line birth is FRENCH and grown in FRANCE, we're all FRENCH, GrowDan P1, Rahan F2/F3, Volcanik/Upok F4, JGL F4bis.... Then yes Spain in the game with hermies and business with U.S. liars with our FREE LINE!

About origin first Lambsbread in Jamaica come from South Indian and parallel with banana workers, then another wave come from Ethiopia with rastafarism. And both South Indian and Ethiopian are pure sat connected since millennials.
Maybe you missed the part where I said “Don’t quote me on any of this.”

@Roms I know that your knowledge on the subject far exceeds anything I could ever hope to gain.

I have read many different threads, in many different forums, on many different sites, and I know I read somewhere that Bushman seeds went to Spain. Maybe I am mistaken or just quoting someone else’s BS. Wouldn’t be the first time.

Peace (seriously)

Reactions: Rgd

Marcus67

There is a lot wrong with this article. Firstly lambs bread is not a specific strain, its just an outdated 70s era rasta slang term for really good weed. If any Jamaicans are still using this term its mostly just to appease American and Canadian seed hunters. my second gripe with this article is its reference to a non existent Bob Marley song titled "Ganja Gun"...Bob Marley never made that song.Its a real song but its not from Bob Marley. Im not saying that what people are claiming as "Lambsbread" isn't real Jamaican landrace, because a lot of it is, its just not a specific strain
I agree, though Lambsbread from what I remember hearing was a pheno that produced a huge loaf of bread like colas made of "lamb's wool" like flowers. We have seen this trait in the Bushman/Vibes Collective line. There were other varieties like King's Bread etc. Reggae singer Freddie McGregor talks about there being a lot of varieties on the Island back in the day (saying herb was better then). I am sure "Lambsbread" quickly became a slang for good herb, and now kush grown on the island is probably as well. I want to cross the Vibes Collective Collective line with my uncle's Jamaican 1980s line (still hermie) and send it to Fredidie (we have emailed once) if Vibes people are cool with it. The resulting slight hermie tendencies will be good for preservation on the Island and will be closer to how plants reproduced traditionally, as most people are not breeders who keep males.

By the way, here is a North Indian line with red stems not far from the Manala area that looks just like Jamaican. We have also seen Bengali/Bangladeshi NLD look similar to some Jamaican. Lots of Indians going to Jamaica came from North India and Bengal I beleive.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231201_104744_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231201_104744_Gallery.jpg
    486.1 KB · Views: 37

Marcus67

From wiki "Due to deteriorating socioeconomic conditions in British India, more than 36,000 Indians came to British Jamaica as indentured labourers under the Indian indenture system between 1845 and 1917, mostly from Bhojpur and Awadh in the Hindi Belt as well as other parts of North India. A significant minority were from South India. Around two-thirds of the labourers who came remained on the island. The demand for their labour came after the end of slavery in 1830 and the failure to attract workers from Europe. Indian labourers, who had proved their worth in similar conditions in Mauritius, were sought by the British Jamaican government, in addition to workers coming from China.[2]" .

This is why the Mauritius and maybe Zamal strains have some similarities to Jamaican. For work, I subscribe to newspapers archives that have been digitized. You can read from over 100 years ago that ganja was procured by liscenced growers (often jewish expats) who grew mainly in the Bengal region to export ganja for these migrant workers. It was big busniess. Drug type cannabis was called Indian Hemp and we can see in newspapers that Jamaica imported Indian Hemp. Probably these Bangali strains are close to if not almost identical to south Indian lines so no one is wrong here :) Once Jamaica banned the import in the early 1900s, domestic growing took over from these Indian lines. I think Jamaican is mainly Bengali/Bangladeshi sativa (as those were the big production hubs close to the big ports) but North and South Indian as well. We see that pheno diversity in pictures in Jamaica from the 70s. Lambsbread was just one type with that huge fat wool-like cola.

Bangladeshi Sativa
feature=shared

Last edited:

BC LONE WOLF

I do apprecite the efforts of anyone trying to preserve a specific line, so my respects to yall and the collective.

I started Swami beans gifted to me by a friend, when you look at Swami site absolute no description at all, thats a big red flag for me. What I have is not a pure LB, but he does have a pure 60's LB for sale at 200$.

If in fact there is a LB "landrace" (specific genetics grown over decades in a same geographical position), why is there no specific location in Jamaica where the LB comes from? and if there is please educate me.

Reading what's out there Blue mountain is West of Jamaica. Rastas are all over the Island and grow weed anywhere...
If you smoked ganja with rasta they mostly refer to it as Jamaican. Lambs bread seems like a trademark more than mitical/biblical genetics. Like HAZE is a trademark or Thai...

From genetics point of view, any seeds brought by african slaves to the Caribe must have adapted to the enviroment fairly well. LB no exceptions. Can LB be African genetics adapted to Jamaica... and since no one knows for a fact where in Africa the first seed came from to the Americas then, yeah I can see Lambs bread being a strain/genetics of its own.

My interpretation of why the 60's line is so important, could well be right before the explosion of Thai genetics coming to America, the haze revolution, the skunk and the Colombian genetics taking over, and obviously the hybridisation of lots of pure varieties coming from every where.

All the Jamacian cultivars I have grown, do foxtails, have purple stems, smell fruity and have the uplifting energy of a sativa.

I have to wait and see what the flowers look like on the Mango Biche/60s Lambs bread I have going. The female and 2 males I have share same look/phenotraits purple stems, 5-7 leaflets, medium height, chandelier like side branching, and taking long long to flower.

Im following this thread for information purposes and to compare what everyone is offering here refered to as Lambs bread.

One thing is for sure Jamaican ganja is amazing. Working with Jamaican genetics is always a challange, if you grown one you know.

Marcus67

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231201_121323_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231201_121323_Chrome.jpg
    859.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_20231201_121338_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231201_121338_Chrome.jpg
    853.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20231201_121558_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231201_121558_Chrome.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20231201_121502_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231201_121502_Chrome.jpg
    1,013 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_20231201_121520_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231201_121520_Chrome.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_20231201_122833_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231201_122833_Chrome.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot_20231201_123057_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231201_123057_Chrome.jpg
    773.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_20231201_123115_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231201_123115_Chrome.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_20231201_123138_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231201_123138_Chrome.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:

BC LONE WOLF

Marcus67

First post by JGL, look at the similarities with the Bangladeshi above. This along with the newspaper archives make the case pretty compelling that old Jamaican is mainly old Bengali NLD (now Bangladesh/West Bengal)

Attachments

• picture.jpeg
    picture.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

BC LONE WOLF

only that its not Lambsbread ...

I don't remember Bushman but that looks

nice n chunky

This is the female MB/60sLB

IMG_3078.jpeg
IMG_3079.jpeg
IMG_3077.jpeg

MB/60’s LB left corner, next are my two Jamaican x Filipino f1

Tho the Swami seed looks amazing the traits are not convincing enough this is a pure Sativa having mango biche and LB I was expecting narrow leaf.

On the other hand based on leaf trait alone my two phenos have considerably narrower leaf. Still need to wait for flowers to form.

Edit:
Leaf pics
MBx60sLB
IMG_3083.jpeg

Jamaican X Filipino
IMG_3082.jpeg
IMG_3086.jpeg

Last edited:

Wwbsox

Not feeling too warm and fuzzy about the genetics from the Lamb's Breath Seed Company. First true leaves are huge. The next set of leaves are coming in a lot thinner, but we will see. I would say definitely hybridized, considering they came from the island in 2018. I will let them go a little while anyways, since I don't have anything else running right now.

At least this breeder did not rip them off from Vibes. I'm following @Normannen who recently started some of @Roms JLB F7s for a cross with Durban. These seedlings look absolutely nothing like those
tempImageQzx3P5.jpg
tempImageFYc0YQ.jpg
. Again, not feeling warm and fuzzy about these.

Normannen

Anne enn Normal
Veteran
Not feeling too warm and fuzzy about the genetics from the Lamb's Breath Seed Company. First true leaves are huge. The next set of leaves are coming in a lot thinner, but we will see. I would say definitely hybridized, considering they came from the island in 2018. I will let them go a little while anyways, since I don't have anything else running right now.

At least this breeder did not rip them off from Vibes. I'm following @Normannen who recently started some of @Roms JLB F7s for a cross with Durban. These seedlings look absolutely nothing like those View attachment 18926428 View attachment 18926430 . Again, not feeling warm and fuzzy about these.
last picture, one on top looks similar to one fo mine.
IMG_20231117_121831_edit_1738526671099822.jpg

Last edited:

Normannen

Anne enn Normal
Veteran

At least this breeder did not rip them off from Vibes. I'm following @Normannen who recently started some of @Roms JLB F7s for a cross with Durban. These seedlings look absolutely nothing like those View attachment 18926428 View attachment 18926430 . Again, not feeling warm and fuzzy about these.
I actually got the F6 and made my own F7

Normannen

Anne enn Normal
Veteran
Thanks for the clarification. At least you knew you were starting with good genetics.
Had to, I wouldn't want to create confusion over pedigrees (not that I personally care at this point in my life, but my calling is to be professional about it, so I try). Also because as much as we try to maintain the line we all have an influence on the expressions that are passed on downstream. Not that it matters thanks science and technology, and our schewed ethical sense, but since we don't all have access to a PCR machine and a gene lab, it makes it easier for the common mortal to keep track of what to expect under what conditions.