What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

is this a cal, mag, zinc or some other deficiency

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
i watered, and /or nute'd each plant - the plants with a high ec last watering, i just gave some water n lime- the other low ec plants, i watered with nutes and lime- i used a teaspoon of lime per 64oz of water... i took measurements of the runoff's and not much of a change , maybe 1 or 2 digits up... so i will watch the plants ...

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
today... finally got my quart of general hyd. ph up... only a week late.. the plants will need water tomm, or thursday morn... i did a test to check out the water
water out of tap 7.4
water plus 1 teaspoon of ph up raises the ph to 10.3
water plus foxfarms nutes for week 4, lowers the ph to 4
water plus the teaspoon of ph up, plus the foxfarm nutes for week 4, raises the ph to 7.0

i know that the runoff last week after adding a small amount of lime was between 5.6/6.1 , i'm thinking to maybe add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of ph up

any comments?

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
today... finally got my quart of general hyd. ph up... only a week late.. the plants will need water tomm, or thursday morn... i did a test to check out the water
water out of tap 7.4
water plus 1 teaspoon of ph up raises the ph to 10.3
water plus foxfarms nutes for week 4, lowers the ph to 4
water plus the teaspoon of ph up, plus the foxfarm nutes for week 4, raises the ph to 7.0

i know that the runoff last week after adding a small amount of lime was between 5.6/6.1 , i'm thinking to maybe add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of ph up

any comments?
1. The easiest thing to do is to just add 2 tablespoons per gallon of magnesium lime to new soil, soak it for a day or two, and then repot.

The issue isn't as much high or low pH but low buffering capacity in the water. Which you can make work for you, if you fix the pH of the medium and increase it's buffering capacity by adding magnesium lime.

The reason is that the nutrient solution has so little buffering capacity that it will very easily adjust to the pH of the medium.

2. I wouldn't add ph Up just to the nutrient solution on it's own, without adding lime to the soil.

The reason is that you're not just looking for the right pH, you're also trying to prevent pH swings.

However raising the nutrient solution with pH-Up to 7.0, when the medium is also 7.0 because of added lime, can't hurt.

linde

Whatever pH you're shooting for go double with the water. So if your soil or runoff is 5 and you're shooting for 6.5. go 8 with the water. That's how I correct it. Might take a couple watering but u just limed it. Might take just 1 watering.

Ca++

Pulverised lime for top dressing, may take a while to really water through evenly. It's perhaps even unlikely to happen. Making further pH testing difficult. Due to the surface getting the most treatment.
On the other hand, some acids are so happy to associate with water, that they can happily leave.

In hydro I'm all for acid based corrections. I do it in composts also. I can't ignore that someone really into soils would be using a very soluble lime. To get good penetration, while still remaining a particle.

Sasult

I was chasing the same thing for a bit after I altered my setup. They looked like crap, but as soon as I flipped them everything was fine.
It ended up that all I needed to do was turn my veg lights down 25%. 3 months of chasing my tail and the fix was that easy. I guess my substrate could not keep up with the intensity, but i'm water only so that might not apply to your system.