What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

is this a cal, mag, zinc or some other deficiency

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
How does the two highest ec plants look? The ec looks low on everything else.
thats the nutty thing... all the plants look good (save for the bit of rust on '2' of em) and the plants with the highest ec look great... my bro used to grow in hydro, and every few days checking the ec/etc, every week changing nutes/etc, and he told me soil is the way to go... plant em, give em ferts and 4get about em... doesn't seem to be the case...

jackspratt61

thats the nutty thing... all the plants look good (save for the bit of rust on '2' of em) and the plants with the highest ec look great... my bro used to grow in hydro, and every few days checking the ec/etc, every week changing nutes/etc, and he told me soil is the way to go... plant em, give em ferts and 4get about em... doesn't seem to be the case...
Now that you can test it will get better. You need calcium carbonate not dolemite. Also,understand that ca/p balance is job #1&2. A calcium phosphate product is best. If in US lookup Eden blue gold for excellent inputs.
I wouldn't flush at this point. The problem is low ph not excess nutrients. The ca,k,mg,metals are having trouble at that ph. Using ph up go to 7ph on feed and finish the run.

linde

I wouldn't flush at this point. The problem is low ph not excess nutrients.
The whole reason why the pH dropped in the first place was caused from excessive nutrients. Over fed the plants. Plants couldn't use all the nutrients and built in soil therefore lowered the pH. Then mag/cal deficiency starts because it won't absorb with low pH. Nitrogen by nature lowers pH. So if you overfeed you can bet that your pH will be lower.

jackspratt61

The whole reason why the pH dropped in the first place was caused from excessive nutrients. Over fed the plants. Plants couldn't use all the nutrients and built in soil therefore lowered the pH. Then mag/cal deficiency starts because it won't absorb with low pH. Nitrogen by nature lowers pH. So if you overfeed you can bet that your pH will be lower.
Which ec #'s are you concerned about?

linde

You mentioned excessive nutrient..it's why i asked about ec. At this point in the grow moving ph quickly is not advised.
Nitrate raises ph by the way.
No wrong. Nitrogen does not raise the pH it lowers it. That is where most problems stem from

linde

Urea is a little acidifying.
Not even sure what nitrate fertilizer is. Must be some new age stuff that I don't use. I'm old school use old school stuff...and the old school ferts with nitrogen will LOWER the soil pH. We are here to help the OP out not to see who has a bigger dick.

jackspratt61

Not even sure what nitrate fertilizer is. Must be some new age stuff that I don't use. I'm old school use old school stuff...and the old school ferts with nitrogen will LOWER the soil pH. We are here to help the OP out not to see who has a bigger dick.
I'm old and intend no offense.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
No wrong. Nitrogen does not raise the pH it lowers it. That is where most problems stem from
There are two types of nitrogen, ammonium nitrogen and nitrate nitrogen. One raises the other drops the pH, most of the time the two are used at the same time to keep a steady pH. Ammonium lowers and nitrate raises the pH.

linde

There are two types of nitrogen, ammonium nitrogen and nitrate nitrogen. One raises the other drops the pH, most of the time the two are used at the same time to keep a steady pH. Ammonium lowers and nitrate raises the pH.
The fert I use has
Interesting. Mine has ammonium and urea....both which lower pH.

Attachments

• IMG_20230403_092533866.jpg
    IMG_20230403_092533866.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 37

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Ammonium and Nitrates FTW. I can get two kinds of chemical ferts, urea and ammonium nitrate. I put out 3000#s of ammonium nitrate a month ago and have green grass. Cost $1000 for the ferts. Plus mower gas... chicken shit is another good option. I use a little early in my grows, but very little.

Alfalfa and barley seem to increase the N.

jackspratt61

Your plants are hungry. Gypsum at 1 gram per gallon will help with calcium and metals uptake.You can add in with feed and ph to 7 with ph up.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
I guess the big question is what fert did the OP use? and what caused his pH to drop?
i'm using the whole foxfarm regiment ... its like 10 or 12 diff bottles , u use about 1/2 dozen at a time, depending on the stage of veg or flower u are in...

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
so all my plants are in 3gallon fabric pots - i have one that is in a 2gallon plastic pot, so i started with her-
b4 flushing the run off ec was 460, and the ph was 5.0/5.2 with the 2 meters - i flushed with prob 3-4 gallons of 7.5 water... after the flush, the ec was unchanged, and the ph barely moved from 5.1/5.3

i must be in a alternate universe