What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Inside Out Trees, Silo Op, custom RDWC, water cooled

Globule

Hey there Ttystikk,

Congrats on the bumper crop mang. Sounds juicey!

Few questions for you bro:

1. Why the switch from RDWC to soiless medium?

2. With such massive amounts of harvested plant mass, what are you doing with all the trim? dry-sift to rosin? bubble hash? edibles? cloud seeding?

3. When you weigh your plants are you including the medium & bucket in your final weight? Or is your published harvest weight after trimming, drying and manicuring? They sound like intimidating plants to be sure mang!

4. Not a question, more a matter of marketing advice but with your COB LED you are at risk of some cheeky bugger referring to your system as "COBbLED together" - geddit?

Sorry bro - couldn't resist hehe :tiphat:

Grow on with your bad self

Ttystikk

Hey there Ttystikk,

Congrats on the bumper crop mang. Sounds juicey!

Few questions for you bro:

1. Why the switch from RDWC to soiless medium?

2. With such massive amounts of harvested plant mass, what are you doing with all the trim? dry-sift to rosin? bubble hash? edibles? cloud seeding?

3. When you weigh your plants are you including the medium & bucket in your final weight? Or is your published harvest weight after trimming, drying and manicuring? They sound like intimidating plants to be sure mang!

4. Not a question, more a matter of marketing advice but with your COB LED you are at risk of some cheeky bugger referring to your system as "COBbLED together" - geddit?

Sorry bro - couldn't resist hehe :tiphat:

Grow on with your bad self

4. Oh, it's definitely cobbled together- and it still works. Go figure!

3. It turns out that fine metal shavings look just like frost in bright light, and they add a lot of weight.

2. I give it to my guy, who runs a metal shop. He gives me all the shavings I want! He then uses a stamping press to make rosin.

1. Because I was tired of inconsistent results in bare root hydroponics. The soilless media I'm using is very well buffered and can also host an active microbial population in the rhizoshpere, not possible in bare root hydro.

I couldn't resist, either...

gr866

Veteran
4. Oh, it's definitely cobbled together- and it still works. Go figure!

3. It turns out that fine metal shavings look just like frost in bright light, and they add a lot of weight.

2. I give it to my guy, who runs a metal shop. He gives me all the shavings I want! He then uses a stamping press to make rosin.

1. Because I was tired of inconsistent results in bare root hydroponics. The soilless media I'm using is very well buffered and can also host an active microbial population in the rhizoshpere, not possible in bare root hydro.

I couldn't resist, either...

???
I am sorry but I just don't understand your answers to what I though were fairly simple question. Questions 2 and 3
One was a very good answer and totally understandable.
Enjoying reading your journal here bud,
GR :smokeit:

Ttystikk

See if this works.

Attachments

• 20160803_133003.jpg
    20160803_133003.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 39

Ttystikk

Sooooooooo water cooled vertical COB LED, is what that is. Custom built to my design specifications.

The purpose of the design is much more than just about carrying away excess heat; you see, the cooler you run COB LED chips, the more efficient they are. This concept has a name, 'temperature droop',and it's measurable and therefore quantifiable.

My chips are converting watts to PAR 5-10% MORE efficiently than anyone else's running at the same drive current.

That's no small potatoes.

gr866

Veteran
So what you're saying is I flopped as comedian.

Good thing I didn't give up my day job.

But you have still not answered his questions on the weight of your plant, that is massive.

But I guess it should be with a $10,000 investment.

GR

Ttystikk

But you have still not answered his questions on the weight of your plant, that is massive.

GR

My best plant is 32oz, that's trimmed, cured and ready weight. Not a fluke, either; smallest in my top 5 is still 29 zips.

I'm getting dialed in and I expect my six plant total to climb over ten soon.

Ttystikk

GR

Are you jealous? It was a gamble; I didn't know how they'd perform in my system. Wasn't sure how well the water cooling would work, either. Or IF.

It's a research project, aimed at finding better ways to grow indoors.

Ten grand for custom built prototypes is a fucking steal! You feelin' me?

It's small change compared to the usual costs of modeling a commercial facility at full scale.

Y'all need to get your heads out of your tents. This is the future of indoor cultivation.

gr866

Veteran
Are you jealous? It was a gamble; I didn't know how they'd perform in my system. Wasn't sure how well the water cooling would work, either. Or IF.

It's small change compared to the usual costs of modeling a commercial facility at full scale.

Y'all need to get your heads out of your tents. This is the future of indoor cultivation.

Not jealous at all,:smokeit: I only grow for myself, have no desire to scale up for commercial purposes. If I have any left after the most recent harvest then I will give that to cancer patients through an ol GF the works with cancer sufferer's. :smoke:
Yes I guess if you are looking commerical, then $10,000 is a drop in the bucket to what guys are building in CO, OR, Wash, and other legal areas.
I will let you do the $$$ experiments and I will keep my head in my tent. I know there are other and better methods, but for this poor man my setup is just fine. Only thing I might do is upgrade my HPS to a 600W, but I am going to check out 10W/diode or higher cobbs. I have a 5W/diode Solar Storm SS400 that I bought on the testing program a few yrs ago, use it for veg in horizontal grows.
Continue to follow your grow, always into learning something. :)

GR

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Meanwhile, I've made the switch from RDWC to a soilless mix called Tupur, comprised of coco, perlite and composted forest litter. I'm very happy with the plant's performance in it.

nice thread! thank you!

i recently switched to the tupur coco in the ppk and it's great stuff. i was previously mixing my own coco/perlite blend in bulk and it was very labor intensive as we were washing the perlite in a big cattle trough to get rid of fines and soaking the coco to satisfy the ion tie up.

the tupur stuff is ready to go right right out of the bag. we just dump it in and turn it on. saves probably 20-30 man hours a week with our size grow.

have you tried adding anything to it yet? such as worm castings? i'm thinking about throwing a handful in per five gallons.

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
tagging up anytime new soiless media is being discussed. Not that I feel the need to switch from Turface yet though.

I'm also like D9 in that I don't go to the vert forumn much anymore, so i'm missing some good threads.

Ttystikk

nice thread! thank you!

i recently switched to the tupur coco in the ppk and it's great stuff. i was previously mixing my own coco/perlite blend in bulk and it was very labor intensive as we were washing the perlite in a big cattle trough to get rid of fines and soaking the coco to satisfy the ion tie up.

the tupur stuff is ready to go right right out of the bag. we just dump it in and turn it on. saves probably 20-30 man hours a week with our size grow.

have you tried adding anything to it yet? such as worm castings? i'm thinking about throwing a handful in per five gallons.

Hey buddy, long time no see! I'm still getting my land legs with the Tupur, but I absolutely intend to amend with organics like EWC.

Ttystikk

The Tupur has made a huge difference in veg, things are much more lush, vigorous and consistent.

The first run with it in bloom is not my best lol, but I'm working the bugs out as I go along. While the next runs are not as far along, they're looking pretty good.

Slipnot

There is no future to indoor cultivation my guess in a few years the real croppers will be doing multiple green house light dep and pulling multiple harvest and stupid numbers . in the summer months we will start 5000 plants in Feb
That is the real future
and relaxing on a beach in the winter months :)
only indoor growing will be in countries that are illegal

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 39

Ttystikk

There is no future to indoor cultivation my guess in a few years the real croppers will be doing multiple green house light dep and pulling multiple harvest and stupid numbers . in the summer months we will start 5000 plants in Feb
That is the real future
and relaxing on a beach in the winter months :)
only indoor growing will be in countries that are illegal

'No future in indoor cultivation', huh?

Lol, that's a lovely sentiment but it's just not true. Not now, not ever. Cannabis or otherwise.

Ttystikk

My new personal best plant pulled over 32oz of dried, cured buds of what's been unanimously judged to be very high quality.

Even more fun is that it grew in a footprint less than 2x4'.

Ttystikk

I just completed a room that has just over 70 sq ft of floor space. Inside is all the electronic equipment, environmental controls, co2, barrels for nutes and reclaim water- and 6 x 24 sq ft trellis panels, for 144 sq ft of total actual growing surface area.

144/7 > 2:1 ratio of grow space to floor space, INCLUDING all aisles, access and ancillaries.

Flatlander kids, eat your hearts out!