What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Indoor No Till Deep Soil Bed

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
cool, minerals are important. that biochar will just help to keep it there and keep it fertile. if you haven't added any yet, consider starting to add char powder to your worm bin with feedings(or compost pile). this way as you top dress the castings you will be little by little incorporating biological rich char to your topsoil. you can start out with regular old hardwood lump charcoal from the store if you cant go the homemade route. only thing is that stuff is kind of a pain to smash up. i prefer to use rice hull char or homemade char from chipped wood.

So this round is complete.
Here's a few shots on harvest day.
Next round is planted and hopefully things go as good as the first.
Thanks to everyone for the support and kind words. I really appreciate it.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 10

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
looks like a decent harvest!

can i ask if they always stay as green a that for the harvest? i know that senescence is thought by many to be largely genetic but i find it is helped along by the available nutrients being in short supply as harvest approaches. i like my plants leaves to finish with as little green on them as possible.

cheers

VG

Scrappy4

Veteran

can i ask if they always stay as green a that for the harvest? i know that senescence is thought by many to be largely genetic but i find it is helped along by the available nutrients being in short supply as harvest approaches. i like my plants leaves to finish with as little green on them as possible.

cheers

VG

I agree VG. My last two cycles finished green, and they took longer to finish, and longer to cure. I'm sure it's the alfalfa meal that is mostly in my compost, but the plants seem so healthy,i'm not sure I want to change anything.....maybe I should just add water to my water only mix, eh? Scrappy

G

growingcrazy

cheers

VG

Are nutrients in the soil in less supply in the fall months in nature? I just take care of my soil, regardless of how far along a plant is.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Are nutrients in the soil in less supply in the fall months in nature? I just take care of my soil, regardless of how far along a plant is.

debatable but yes i would say they were - after plants have grown the whole season and before they have died back and decomposed back into the ground. also in nature there would be more environmental triggers to senescence such as cold, shorter days etc.

scrappy, i have slightly the opposite problem - mine start to fade possibly a little early, but it doesnt seem to effect my yield too badly and the smoke is great and smooth as soon as they've dried and cured for a week.

VG

Last edited:

mad librettist

Veteran
debatable but yes i would say they were - after plants have grown the whole season and before they have died back and decomposed back into the ground. also in nature there would be more environmental triggers to senescence such as cold, shorter days etc.

scrappy, i have slightly the opposite problem - mine start to fade possibly a little early, but it doesnt seem to effect my yield too badly and the smoke is great and smooth as soon as they've dried and cured for a week.
VG

only in areas with very thin topsoil VG...

in fertile areas there is always potential nutrition around. However with shorter days comes less sugar to spare, and less sugar to spare means less nutrients available for trade.

Also just lowering temps will slow down most animals, plants and fungi.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi mad, yes soil thickness will have an influence along with a whole plethora of other factors, eg, organic matter content, mineral content, particle size etc etc - and agreed that temps will be a big influence. i was reading some posts in the botany forum about a guy mulches his pots with ice to trigger yellowing!
i dont want to de-rail ot's excellent thread - and we've discussed this before, but ime cannabis is a pretty unique crop in that we smoke it and a reduction in chlorophyll improves smoking quality. i s'pose it could be tenuously compared to 'blanching' (excluding light from) celery, leaks or chickory to stop them going green and tasting bitter. imo mimicking nature is only half the story when we are gardening organically - farming/cropping is s'posed to better nature - there is nothing natural about the performance we expect out of crops.

VG

Y

YosemiteSam

Isn't one purpose of curing in the dark to rid the plant of chlorophyll?

And of course you can speed that up by getting the plant to fade while it is growing but it ultimately only effects how long you need to cure the plant...imo.

mad librettist

Veteran
well here i have to point out that I also like to see plants fade, and when they don't I take notice.

I agree we are trying to reduce chlorophyll, but perhaps we are also trying to drain sugar and starch reserves, which is likely a function of more prolific growth despite shorter days. (in terms of dry matter, the growth in 12/12 far outdoes the growth in veg) Temperate varieties seem to do this under 12/12, but some more tropical ones might need a slightly shorter day to finish. Plants don't make chlorophyll for fun, they make it to fix carbon from the air as sugar.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
im going to start a thread about this guys - rather than discuss it in ot's grow thread...

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
So this round is complete.
Here's a few shots on harvest day.
Next round is planted and hopefully things go as good as the first.
Thanks to everyone for the support and kind words. I really appreciate it.

Wow..Kewl...good job man! Do tell what the final #'s are and how the smoke may compare to the last cycle..do you note a difference?

Rusty420

awesome grow, nice to see the discussion...i think the other thread will correlate with this 2nd run and they will fade more than the first...just like microbe man said about his outdoor/indoor bed experiance..:) sweet grow man, enjoyed from the start!:lurk:

It's been a busy last few weeks so I haven't had time for updates on round 2.
These shots are from mid week 3.
Also a mother plant which is yellowing up nicely for those that like that sort of thing.
First round harvest is looking around 28oz.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 12

LilMan72003

Inspirational work organicterra. Theoretically, your soil (and plants) should only get better over time.

Looking forward to hearing your opinion of the clover cover crop. I apologize if you have said this already but which species are you using?

Lilman