What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Indoor No Till Deep Soil Bed

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
This has been a nice thread to read through. I like your setup and it looks like it works very well. Great work

-Funk

B

BlueJayWay

Beautiful 1st run and a great start at round two....how did it finish? 3rd run, 4th, 5th?

Hope you're still around and No-Tillin' it!

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Blue Jay

He was the one that told me to look into the Malibu Biodynamic Compost which was greatly appreciated.

A very good grower indeed...

CC

B

BlueJayWay

Nice! And in turn i was then told about Bu's Blend, i and my garden are very greatful!

Yes I'd love to hear a good (but continuing) end to this thread. My plan is basically this X10....

B

BlueJayWay

A bit smaller than this, #45. I have one #45 that will be starting its 3rd cycle and the 2nd run finishing up was better than the first and hands down the easiest lowest maintenance group of plants I have ever grown....
few weeks ago or so...

10 to 12 containers - my initial goal would be 11 to 12 cycles over 24 months. Replanted immediately after each harvest....

(I'm trying to find some sort of confirmation that indoor notills have been successfully done for one+ years...I'm starting 5th cycles in 18ga containers)

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Blue Jay

That's about 6 c.f. of potting soil per container. That's a good size to use and they're not much money all things considered. A commercial 'standard lipped nursery container' of that size would cost you about the same. That's if you could easily find them but with these you can mail order in a worse case scenario.

Do most of the grow stores in your area carry SmartPots or one of the knock-offs?

CC

B

BlueJayWay

I specifically tested the tan #45 smart pot (brand) because the shop accidentally ordered a huge box. They still have them months later and I can get the amount I need for ~$11/ea.

It looks like our buddy Jerry has done true notills in 15gal containers for several years.....

....real close to taking the plunge and incorporating a long term notill setup in my room....

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
That's less money than I thought - $11.00 each

I'm close to a year with a mix of #7 & #10 SmartPots and I'm pleased with the growth & health of the plants. The size you're considering would be much better for several reasons with increased root mass being at the top of the list.

CC

B

BlueJayWay

Sweet.... I should start a thread, if for no other reason than I may need help sourcing some items. :D

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Blue Jay

A big consideration would have to be what watering system you want to go with. Fortunately with that size of container you have far more options to look at. There are some very sophisticated drip systems (for example) that are far above retail products like RainBird and others you find at DIY stores and nurseries.

The commercial systems are much easier to configure and install in a garden. Drainage seems to be the thing that takes the most planning.

Are you handy with fiberglass by any chance?

CC

B

BlueJayWay

It's sad to say that I'm not handy with much other than gardening - with that said, I've hired a contractor to at least handle the electrical / ventilation upgrades, raised floor, walls etc etc....

B

Bud-connoisseur

I love all the info. I am amazed at the ways people come up with to be more efficient. I am currently on my first grow now. But the second will definately be organic all the way. And i am truly intreged with the no till method.