What's new

Indica is diluting the sacred herb

intel2000

Sativa is MUCH preferred but c'mon. Essentially what the author is saying is "commercial growers - REDUCE your profits (by growing strains that take 1.5-2xs as long and yield LESS) for the benefit of the consumer. Give them what they may or may not know they want. Doesn't make any sense (or cents LOL) Really - in my opinion - the author should call FOR more growers to grow and preserve pure sativa genes. Perhaps he should have asked the commercial growers to grow a few sativas out and see what kind of response they get when it hits the streets. But a moratorium? C'mon duuuude....

tetragrammaton

Veteran
I would love to hear the authors views on the state of today's herb. Who knows, maybe he finally saw the light.

Remember, back then when Indicas first hit the scene, it was just that... indicas. A lot of the hybrids weren't created yet or were not stable. Just think, they had to cross two entirely different plants, both pure, and go from there, and make countless selection.

So there's a good chance that back then, the author was only familiar with skunky, acrid, heavy, lethargic, afghanis, and not the wide variety of flavorful hybrids we have today.

whodair

Veteran
indica makes me speedy

indica makes me speedy

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=116616

tom hills reply :

"I have always had somewhat of a 180 degree take on this as well. The general rule was always broadleaf in the morning during working hours and no Thai before the end of the day, or else. For me the comedown matters most. Generally speaking, the broadleafs leave me feeling refreshed a couple hours down the road and the potent up narrows can really wipe me out for the rest of the day- Mexicans etc, etc. A well timed tropical smoke can be a very nice set-up for an excellent nights rest imo, of course it is all subjective. "

indica=couchlock, sativa=creative and energetic is a generalization that certainly does not apply to everyone

PS. one fat rail of the yak and im exhausted, show me an 8 ball and im headin to bed...

enter sandman

Indica might as well be a different drug than sativa. An Indica lover is a different person (to a very large degree) than a sativa lover. For about 95% of cannabis history, the sativa is what everyone smoked and was accociated with cannibas in general. I personally don't even consider Indica cannabis, though I admit that it is 'technically' cannabis. That guy who wrote the article was dead on. He expressed everything I've felt about Indicas for a long time...I've just never heard anyone else put my own thoughts down on paper like that. And yes, Indicas are POLLUTING. Look what it did to kalimist...it is now pure garbage adulterated with shitty Indica. I used to get good mex & jam sativa...sometimes in good form (not bricked up) but now it is mixed with Indica. That in itself is what made me start growing many years ago. THE ONLY and I mean O N L Y reason Indica even is thriving nowadays is not how it makes you feel, but because it looks good, smells good (just like the guy says in that old article) has short flowering time with big yields.....that is what has kept it even alive. Cash croppers love the Indica...it makes them the cash real quickly. Now I realize that Indica has medicinal properties for people who need it & I think that's stellar. To me that is where it ends. All this research breeders are doing could be better spent on creating pure sativas that are easier to grow with bigger yields, shorter flowering times yada yada. To the thread creator you cannot speak out against Indica on this site without causing anger (I myself don't care). A lot of these guys make their living growing/selling Indica so they are usually the first ones to flame you. All in all I'd trade an lb of the most beautiful, fruity smelling Indica for a quarter of sativa schwag anyday. And did I mention Indica is pure garbage that God needs to just make go away! God, if you are really there, please wipe Indica off the planet.......sir. Yay sativa

VirginHarvester

Veteran
I have to disagree with this article from my perspective.

But first, let me say, part of the problem is that I find a lot of the sativas I have access to are probably mundane. If you told me the killer Jamaican and Colombian sativas are no longer available because those countries started growing Northern Lights and Sour Bubble for cash, I would agree. I have had authentic Jamaican, Thai, Colombian Gold, and Black Colombian way back and they were scary good, pure sativas. Is that even available anymore? I don't know where even to get those seeds, much less some real herb.

Out here in Cali the coops have a lot of sativas but to me they are nothing special, or at least they do not eclipse the indicas. I don't believe the sativas are less than spectacular because of indicas, just that a lot of people/companies do not supply enough landrace genetics to the consumer. Not to mention, it is quite an undertaking to wait 13+ weeks. I would do it and would gladly pay the price for some medicine grown well. But does it exist? I don't think so.

Now, indicas I have found are extremely interesting and good medicine for the right person or situation. I love to smoke a good indica(Sour Bubble, GDP, Afghan) and feel it in my groin, even down to my toes by the time I'm exhale my second hit. That's awesome and they make me feel really good.

In a nutshell, if Sativas need to be preserved then we need access to authentic genetics and/or growers need to get it to the marketplace.

G

Guywithoutajeep

Indica might as well be a different drug than sativa. An Indica lover is a different person (to a very large degree) than a sativa lover. For about 95% of cannabis history, the sativa is what everyone smoked and was accociated with cannibas in general. I personally don't even consider Indica cannabis, though I admit that it is 'technically' cannabis. That guy who wrote the article was dead on. He expressed everything I've felt about Indicas for a long time...I've just never heard anyone else put my own thoughts down on paper like that. And yes, Indicas are POLLUTING. Look what it did to kalimist...it is now pure garbage adulterated with shitty Indica. I used to get good mex & jam sativa...sometimes in good form (not bricked up) but now it is mixed with Indica. That in itself is what made me start growing many years ago. THE ONLY and I mean O N L Y reason Indica even is thriving nowadays is not how it makes you feel, but because it looks good, smells good (just like the guy says in that old article) has short flowering time with big yields.....that is what has kept it even alive. Cash croppers love the Indica...it makes them the cash real quickly. Now I realize that Indica has medicinal properties for people who need it & I think that's stellar. To me that is where it ends. All this research breeders are doing could be better spent on creating pure sativas that are easier to grow with bigger yields, shorter flowering times yada yada. To the thread creator you cannot speak out against Indica on this site without causing anger (I myself don't care). A lot of these guys make their living growing/selling Indica so they are usually the first ones to flame you. All in all I'd trade an lb of the most beautiful, fruity smelling Indica for a quarter of sativa schwag anyday. And did I mention Indica is pure garbage that God needs to just make go away! God, if you are really there, please wipe Indica off the planet.......sir. Yay sativa

this is honestly the worst thread i've ever read on icmag, the absolute worst, worse than yummybud, and worse than that guy who harrassed me for working in medical research (and thats low to do that)

Sativa nazis is all I can think of. I wish indica could ask God to wipe you off the face of the planet.

enter sandman

Actually it is one of the best...why? because it's the truth. Truth cuts like a knife...the posts following mine proves it. Shitty Indica Lovers must DIE! lol

Indicas diluting the sativa gene pool sativas diluting the indica. "Pure landraces are becoming extinct!" I grew up on Mexican sativas, rag weed, Oaxaca, Michocan; then came the columbian weed, in between there was a few tastes of Panamanian and Jamaican weed. Still remember that QP of Oaxacan I got back in the late 60's. when I picked it up and saw the long stems with small airy buds attached and the heavy seed content I laughed at the dude selling it. He laughed back and told me to try it. I loved that weed. I didn't try to sell a gram of it, and that WAS the purpose of the purchase.

Man when I got my first bag of indica I wanted MORE! I like 'em both! Hybrids are good too. Right now I am sick of Sativas. Sick Sick SICK I TELL YOU! Here in SE Asia it's all we get. I would kill for the heavy smoke and stone of a good indica right about now.

To call one sacred and the other something less is just plain ign'nt. It borders on the edge of reefer madness insane. To consider one less or more than the other; foolish. the world is a better place because of diversity. I know people that hate the sativa high and will not smoke it. I know fewer that feel the same of indicas, but I do know some. To feel some kind of elite superiority because you favor one over the other? Almost as closed minded as the people that buy into the LEO hype about weed being like crank or crack. Weed may be sacred to you. It's not my religion. I do like it. A lot.

The tropical sativas are harder to grow. They yield like shit take up too much room and can have crappy bag appeal. But they can be nice in a social scene or maybe get you involved in a creative project. You gotta give the growers credit for their patience. And if you really want to see them survive you should be willing to pay more for them. I've smoked indicas that would do the same.

I've smoked Sativas that put me down and made me just plain stupid. There is something for every body out there. I would hate to see a one-weed world where all the strains are just the same amalgam of strains and I sometime think the 'breeders' get carried away like some kind of Dr. Frankenstein mixing and matching just because they can. Guess that's OK as long as the parent strains remain 'Undiluted." There are plenty of pure strains out there; I would be saddened if the different lines were to be 'diluted' completely out of existence.

One way to insure this doesn't happen is to buy "pure strains' that are actually pure (seeds and finished product). Don't complain when you buy a bag of airy (fluffy?) cerebral buzz sativa and it costs just a little extra. Would go a long way to keeping these rare breeds in the market place. It takes longer to raise properly, it takes more care. It take a helluva lot more room. Let's not eliminate any of them from the market place. I like 'em all.

Right now I would just love some good knock-out indica; haven't had a decent indica in eight years. I get home I'm gonna make sure I got a place to fall down and then smoke as much as it takes to make sure I do (fall down). A world without indicas is a sad, sad place indeed.

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
Indica isnt even marijuana....? I hope whoever wrote that book is joking. The guy is acting like theres no sativas left on earth. If you like sativa so much, grow it your damn self and smoke to your damn self and then keep to your damn self and not worry about what you think everybody else should be smoking!

statusquo

To all the people who say I only smoke schwag...this is the go to response for people with no legitimate argument to present. I live in california and have had a card for over three years. I have smoked so many strains I can't even remember them all. This was some angel tear kush I grew out (m39 x bubba kush) which is certainly an indica and a cash crop. So try another ad hominem attack...

picture.php

Not even going to waste my time responding to all the people who are saying I think sativas are dissapearing haha.

Also, stoners tend to prefer indicas. Why? Because they are heavier in other cannabinoids besides THC. People who have been chronically smoking for a long time don't stay high on THC for very long and don't peak very hard (relative to other cannabinoids that indica is more heavy in like CBD). Also, the stoner frequently, like tom hill, is after that few hours AFTER you are "high" where you are slow and relaxed - once again this is other cannabinoids.

So I have handed out positive rep where it's due and would like to thank people :)

P.S to the dude on the second page or so: indica's certainly do NOT have more THC than sativas - LOL

tribe

Yes everyone's different and enjoy different things for different reasons, and indicas and sativas can effect people in different ways, but everyone should be educated so that they know better and given the choice.

The point is most people just see weed as weed, and don't even know the differences between strains. Lets be honest, when we all first smoked we didn't know what was what. And the people that are growing weed for cash are doing it for just that for the most part and in general not to help people smoke good quality weed (clearly there will be a few exceptions, but these will be small growers for mates only not the general market / public). Infact, 9 out of 10 dealers that I've ever used (alot!) don't even know what indicas and sativas are, and can't tell me what I'm buying, sometimes tell me this one is better and more expensive but thats it, and generally ends up being the one that gets you more mashed and couchlocked rather than high. We don't need to wipe out indicas and replace them with sativas, we just need dealers to get a freakin menu! (or of course grow yourself, but remember this isn't always and option for everybody!)

WE NEED TO EDUCATE!! And then let people decide what they wish to smoke and why. I bet most would choose the sativa most of the time if they knew better, with indica occasionally. Or at least a combo of the two, but not just indica that would be boring and you'd surely miss alot of what getting high is all about. Yes, yes some people will love just indicas and not sativas, but I'm talking generally here. Of course I could be wrong, would be interesting to know what the people who don't know about strains would choose if given a menu. We need to seperate the two types with a clear divide, rather than have them grouped into the same one.

People used to see ganja as something creative, something social, something mind-expanding, something spiritual, something soul warming, something philosophical, something sexual, something funny, something musical, something positive.... Now ask anyone what they expect a typical stoner to be and they'll say lazy, lethargic, couchlocked, hippy, jobless, messy etc etc.. hardly a great image... we need to take back the positive image ganja once had. And sorry indica lovers, but this does mean promoting sativas to the wider audience!

Some people are going to start fighting for indicas here saying they get "high" off them and they are great for a mind buzz too, but please accept that you are just lucky they affect you this way, in general most people get high off sativas and low off indicas, and we need to educate the public on this, so when they smoke an indica expecting to get high like you said and end up with couchlock they don't get put off ganja, they just get pointed in the direction of sativas.

peace,
tribe

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah, let me smoke some crazy pure jungle sativa with a mind ripping trippy & heart racing paranoid bullshit high that makes me feel like I can't breathe and not want to smoke pot anymore. Yeah, let me get right on that because that's what smoking weed is all about right? No. Cannabis ultimately is a medical plant with medicinal benefits for people in need of relief and unfortunately (for the poster) the best range of medical effects come from Cannabis Indica, or "Afghanica" actually. ;)

People who like to function more while stoned like myself will choose something more Indica based because it generally has a more friendly body type buzz that is far more balanced out due to the higher levels of CBD's and other various high helpers. The effects for me are far less trippy and distracting than smoking the hazes, mexicans, or african sativas. Now if I was at a Pink Floyd concert and wanted to daze out and listen to music and watch the light show I would happily smoke some stringy golden african sativa (malawi) that I just happen to have a jar of. ;) But for the majority of my normal life the Indica based strains are my ticket to paradise and definitely still have the mind expanding & uplifting effect if they are not harvested too late.

Now of course there are always exceptions to the rule and it really all comes down to plant biology and how it is grown, harvest, drying, curing, etc.

I can guarantee though you take 100 people and give them a bowl of some Northern Lights or Sweet Tooth, etc compared to smoking a bowl of some Mexican Sativa or Colombian and they are going to report back a much more comfortable pleasant high from the higher bred Indica based strains. It is simply the evolution of Cannabis occuring. The pure "landrace" strains in general are not feasible for production & growing in most parts of the world, also humans have bred strains based on stand-out examples from those previously unworked landraces. This is not a bad thing, but rather the opposite based on what was found out of thousands and thousands of less suitable plants. We have selected and improved Cannabis as a whole based upon our human needs for it's ease of growing, faster flowering times, resin production & appearance, & ultimately more pleasant & medicinal effects. :canabis:

That all being said, I love ALL Cannabis and think it's the greatest plant on earth! :woohoo:

onegreenday

Veteran
I realize people like indicas. Again I addressed there are reasons to have them around and I even enjoy certain aspects of them. And I also acknoweldge that many, if not most people, like and prefer indicas...just like most people prefer pop music...

We don't know if people prefer Indica over Sativa.

I don't think they are informed enough at purchase to know

and the plethora of Indica means few sativa to choose from.

In Cali they could taste test poll & get very accurate opinions.

EDIT: I think the indica may have more dysphoria

(opposite of euphoria)properties than sativa.

as long as they had real sativa on the shelf.

JohnnyATL

Veteran
umm, i smoked a sativa the other night and it took me friggin thirty minutes to fall asleep. i need a mix

SOTF420

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I smoked a very mature cured bud off a Sweet Tooth hybrid cross and fell asleep in like 5 minutes in total comfy zen. But maybe that was my girlfriends warm juicy tan ass pushed up against me that really did it lol ;)

tribe

Yeah, let me smoke some crazy pure jungle sativa with a mind ripping trippy & heart racing paranoid bullshit high that makes me feel like I can't breathe and not want to smoke pot anymore. Yeah, let me get right on that because that's what smoking weed is all about right? No. Cannabis ultimately is a medical plant with medicinal benefits for people in need of relief and unfortunately (for the poster) the best range of medical effects come from Cannabis Indica, or "Afghanica" actually. ;)

With all due respect, you are a med user, that may be why your experiencing those effects. But let me tell you thats not what its all about. Cannabis is not ultimately a medical plant. It is a plant, or a weed. The fact that we humans use it for its medical benefits, its clothing uses, its paper, its fuel, its plastics.... is by the by. To my knowledge we are the only beings on earth that have receptors for cannabinoids and thc. Please correct me if I am wrong, I would love for more input on this! But thc gets you high. And so it could be argued that ganja is a "getting high plant". So that's what it's all about... actually ;) Like I said before in a previous post, if you want med benefits go for indica. If you want to get HIGH, go for sativa (generally). But this poster is about the hobby user, not the med user. If we were arguing for the best med strain we'd pretty much all be saying indica. Though I'm sure certain strains of sativa have health benefits too. I can't concentrate for more than five minutes without sativa. That could be argued as a health benefit, even though a psychological one.

People who like to function more while stoned like myself will choose something more Indica based because it generally has a more friendly body type buzz that is far more balanced out due to the higher levels of CBD's and other various high helpers. The effects for me are far less trippy and distracting than smoking the hazes, mexicans, or african sativas. Now if I was at a Pink Floyd concert and wanted to daze out and listen to music and watch the light show I would happily smoke some stringy golden african sativa (malawi) that I just happen to have a jar of. ;) But for the majority of my normal life the Indica based strains are my ticket to paradise and definitely still have the mind expanding & uplifting effect if they are not harvested too late.

Well here we show that there will never be a definitive answer. As I am the exact opposite!! If I want to remain human and function I smoke the sativa and steer clear of the body numbing lethargic inducing indica. If we were able to do the research I am sure we would find that the little receptors we all have differ from person to person, all other DNA can vary a little so these must do too according to our genetic history. And this is probably why different people are affected by different strains of ganja in different ways.

Now of course there are always exceptions to the rule and it really all comes down to plant biology and how it is grown, harvest, drying, curing, etc.

Agreed :D

I can guarantee though you take 100 people and give them a bowl of some Northern Lights or Sweet Tooth, etc compared to smoking a bowl of some Mexican Sativa or Colombian and they are going to report back a much more comfortable pleasant high from the higher bred Indica based strains. It is simply the evolution of Cannabis occuring. The pure "landrace" strains in general are not feasible for production & growing in most parts of the world, also humans have bred strains based on stand-out examples from those previously unworked landraces. This is not a bad thing, but rather the opposite based on what was found out of thousands and thousands of less suitable plants. We have selected and improved Cannabis as a whole based upon our human needs for it's ease of growing, faster flowering times, resin production & appearance, & ultimately more pleasant & medicinal effects.

I believe if you took a hundred people and asked them their favourite, they'd say sativa! Also, as you are bound to the medicinal effects of cannabis, remember that it has been used for thousands of years for its health benefits in the east. Which I believe is where some of the sativa strains originate from rather than indica. So If you traced back the strains and their medicinal history, I'm sure you'd see sativa at the heart of them. A large part of your body healing itself is positive thinking, indica might numb the effects short term, but I believe the positive mind effects of sativa would bring about more help in the long run.

And ultimately sativa has probably benefited society hugely more than couchlock indica. If you think of all the art you've ever looked at, all the poems you've ever read, all the philosophy you've ever read, all the music you've listened too, all the films you've watched, and many many inventions you've experienced, I'd say a hella lot of them were under the influence of ganja... what type I hear you say... well definately NOT indica, that's for sure!

Yes indica may have medical benefits for the individual, but for the hobby smokers, and for the creative types that offer their insight to society, sativa brings a whole lot more! IMHO.

That all being said, I love ALL Cannabis and think it's the greatest plant on earth! :woohoo:

:jump: Couldn't agree more with you here buddy! :jump:

SOTF420

ICMag Donor
Veteran
tribe, what specific strains are you smoking and/or have you personally grown and have experience with?