What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Indica is diluting the sacred herb

statusquo

I figured this is the kind of reaction I would get even though I specifically addressed the positive benefits, including medicinal, in my posts :( Also I didn't say it is ruining pot! i said its diluting the gene pool since the indica stones are all pretty much the same whereas there is variation in the stones one gets from a sativa.

Anyways I am not hating on anybody that uses indica for medicinal reasons; I, as I said, keep some around just for that reason. In fact I'm not really hating on anyone :) Just expressing my opinion about indicas and offering up advice for people who agree and are looking for a way to actively respond. As for recreation/introspection/non medicinal reasons...well I'll pass on the indie.

EDIT: I can't find it but I remember seeing a couple different double blind studies showing that physically, pot doesn't help with pain that much. I, and many other people, can also attest to this. I think for many (there are probably some cases), the analgesic affects are mostly mental.

gdtrfb

have you seen my lighter?
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Also I didn't say it is ruining pot i said its diluting the gene pool since the indica stones are all pretty much the same whereas there is variation in the stones one gets from a sativa.

that's just it, tho - i'd say access to 100% sativas is at an unprecedented level (because access to anydamnthing is at an unprecedented level).

you want to grow them, unadulterated...you can pick from among a pisspot for those variations in stones. they're out there.....right now.

no need for yelling at the kids on the lawn.

Cush

It's fine to preserve genetics. I'd don't want to see indicas diluted just as I wouldn't want to see some of the fine sativas diluted.

statusquo

Exactly Cush! I agree it would be nice to preserve all of them but thats not really what's happening. Indica's dominate the majority of the commercial bud people in the US smoke (cali is a little different but even here there a shit load of indica dominant buds floating around)

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
I'm a sativa snob. I do like my indicas and hybrids though. I really think there is room for all out there in the real world and the demand will always be there.

Sativas. Nothing beats a good sativa high! Sats are great for awareness, anti-anxiety, etc...

Then again, if I can't sleep, I'm not reaching for some Neville's Haze. The answer is to grow what you like/need to smoke and stop worrying about what the "industry" is doing. On the other hand, traveling to other historically significant countries with seeds is always something I've frowned upon. I like hearing about people getting seeds to Cuba (kind of), but I wish people would have stayed out of places like Jamaica which already had some dank growing. They didn't need any help at all, lol.

Sativa seeds are still easy to find, but I do wonder how long it will take for indicas to infiltrate landrace sativa lines worldwide. I would guess it's already happened for certain areas (Jamaica or Brazil, for example), so my guess is that it's probably going to get harder over the years to find real landrace sat lines to "replenish" the exhausted side of today's more popular strains.

Tatz

Yo, StatusQuo.
If you want to preserve your Sativa genes, go out, buy a bunch of Sativa seeds and go on this crusade to save the Sativas.

It´s your dream bro, not mine.

Did I see 1993 on the forelast page of the article ?(!!)
That means, since the article was written, not much has changed. Pure Sativas are still around, everybody happy !!!!

tetragrammaton

Veteran
An easy solution then, is grow your own, don't buy commercial. And if you must there are still Mexican sativas to be found at an increasing level of harvest quality and drying.

Not everyone lives in a tropical climate, or wants to wait up to 20+ weeks indoors growing a pure sativa when they could have had two harvests and a much higher yield off of hybrid.

TickleMyBalls

just don't molest my colas..
Veteran
I figured this is the kind of reaction I would get even though I specifically addressed the positive benefits, including medicinal, in my posts :( Also I didn't say it is ruining pot! i said its diluting the gene pool since the indica stones are all pretty much the same whereas there is variation in the stones one gets from a sativa.

Anyways I am not hating on anybody that uses indica for medicinal reasons; I, as I said, keep some around just for that reason. In fact I'm not really hating on anyone :) Just expressing my opinion about indicas and offering up advice for people who agree and are looking for a way to actively respond. As for recreation/introspection/non medicinal reasons...well I'll pass on the indie.

EDIT: I can't find it but I remember seeing a couple different double blind studies showing that physically, pot doesn't help with pain that much. I, and many other people, can also attest to this. I think for many (there are probably some cases), the analgesic affects are mostly mental.

well first of all, again, you haven't in your previous posts talked about it as medicine. second, making a blanket statement like all indica stones are the same is pretty ignorant. just cause you're sense isn't accute enough to detect the difference in the Indica highs, doesn't mean they're all the same. third, your last statement is uninformed. there are cannabinoid receptors all throughout the body. THC and other cannabinoids bind to the receptors, which are in places like tendons and ligaments, internal organs, and key parts of the immune system. so for example, people with arthritis get pain relief from an indica because it acts as an anti-inflammatory agent when it binds to the receptors in the affected area.

and fourth and most important... this article is 17 years old, and there are tons and tons of 80-100% sativa strains on the market...therefore proving that the genepool is safe.

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Total BS, as has been said already many times there is more selection now than ever. Definitely an even better situation than when that article was written.

I have never seen so many pure landrace strains available from respectable seedbanks in my life, we truly have both ends of the spectrum at our fingertips as far as Indica vs. Sativa goes. Some of the best strains on the planet are hybrids of the two, like Sweet Tooth for instance! :canabis: :woohoo:

statusquo

I disagree with most of those points. I have made a good effort to make my stance clear that I am not saying Indicas have no place or no value; if you choose to keep building the straw man that's fine. For the record, I grow my own indicas and keep them around. I value their sleep properties and other medicinal properties (anti stress, increased hunger). As for their stone/recreational/commercial properties - from a consumer perspective - well ya.

I am not uninformed and have access to a wide variety of genetics. I have sampled many different legitimate strains and have a rather keen pallet. My analysis of indica stones all being similar is not arbitrary. Also, I am aware that cannabinoid receptors are all over the body...they are endogenous neurotransmitters. I am also aware that it does have direct physical interactions with organs all over the body, including the skin. This does not necessarily mean that there would be a direct physical affect of pain relief. And people getting pain relief from anti-inflammatory affects is not a result of the analgesic properties of cannabis.

I am not the only one to question cannabis' ability to neutralize pain. Also the genetics are available to people that want to buy genetics on the internet (like me: I do grow my own bud from seed and clone) but commercial growers do not grow true pure sativas and this constitutes most of the bud that people smoke in the U.S and globally. Also many people CAN'T grow their own and many people are forced to deal with what is on the black market. Furthermore, many of these seed companies saying their bud is sativa or sativa dominant...they are mislead IMO. True sativas are strains like original haze, really leafy buds that take much more than 10 weeks to mature. So no my opinions are not based in ignorance like your assumptions about me and my experience.

I find it ironic that you gave me +rep, and I gave you some as well, but you seem rather set on attacking me.

SOTF420

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Me, speaking for myself do not really enjoy pure sativa's whatsoever because it is not what I am looking for effect wise. I would take a good Indica/Sativa hybrid over a pure 16 week sativa anyday of the week. Who really wants to grow a fucking 16 weeker anyways? I think you are assuming everyone WANTS to smoke pure sativa's dude, and secondly "sativa" is no more original than Indica and in fact Indica contains more total useful cannabinoids & higher levels of THC! :canabis:

tetragrammaton

Veteran
If you disagree with everyone else's views on indica's, yet state yourself that you grow them for their properties, then what was the point in making this topic?

All of my points, as well as everyone elses, are very valid. I simply said not everyone lives in a tropical climate, or wants to wait 20+ weeks indoors. I never put Sativa's down. I infact have a report on Br33d B4y where I grew out a Malawi Gold x Colombian Gold indoors. It took 20 weeks, and even then, it could have gone longer. The high, aroma, and taste were incredible, and out of this world. The yield fucking sucked. Buds everywhere, huge colas, but shitty yield. I knew all of that going into, so I was prepared, however, I learned why you are not going to get any pure sativas commercially, unless they are imported from a tropical climate.

My mother for instance, who has rhumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia, doesn't get much relief at all from Sativas, however it improves her mood and outlook. She gets a lot of pain relief from indicas and prefers them to opiates, however she dislikes the heavy stone of them, as she usually falls asleep.

For her, a hybrid slightly more on the indica side works best, providing a relaxing analgesic body high, but still with some uplifting sativa qualities. She really enjoys the purple strains.

I personally use cannabis to gain weight, and for my anxiety and depression. For me, a sativa dominant hybrid works best for me. Too pure of a sativa, and I feel like somethings missing. Same with too much of an indica.

So, I really don't think Indica is diluting the gene pool at all. If anything, these hybrids are good for the medical community, as it allows one to choose a strain with a mix just right for their personal disorders.

Again, not being a douche, but what was the point of your post if you acknowledge Indica's place in the cannabis community? And especially go as far as titling your post "Indica is diluting the sacred herb"?

Shouldn't you have just said "I prefer Sativas, and dislike how most commercial bud seems to be Indica?"

gdtrfb

have you seen my lighter?
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Who really wants to grow a fucking 16 weeker anyways?

me ;)

some of it is the challenge, and some of it is...there's a buzz there you don't see elsewhere.

thing is, if it was all i had access to...i'd get sick of it. variety is the Spice of Life, eh?

SOTF420

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I agree variety is definitely the Spice of Life, & it's definitely all good. ;)

If you guys want a nice Indica/Sativa with a very balanced effect try Sweet Tooth #3 or #4! :canabis:

contra

Both sativa, indica, and hybrids have their places. The downside I see with indicas is that in a breeding population of plants(ie open pollenation)their genes may be dominant, effectively covering up those recessive traits which make sativas what they are. Something can be said for genetic diversity and it would seem that indicas may reduce this outside the context of seedbanks. The average indoor grower is not having any deleterious effect on the cannabis genepool except in that it is creating a larger demand for indica seedstock, thereby giving seedbanks less motivation to maintain sativas in general. There does seem to be growing interest in sativadom, so all in all nothing is lost but what is already lost.

statusquo

tetragrammaton - was not addressing you, was addressing someone else. Also I feel like I am hitting my head against a wall. I did not say Indica's are useless and to totally get rid of them. I am not saying they have taken over the world and I am not saying its impossible to get pure sativa genetics anymore. The ICmag community is different than the rest of the world and I am referring to what the average Joe has access to.

Shouldn't you have just said "I prefer Sativas, and dislike how most commercial bud seems to be Indica?" No because the commercial gene pool (what most people smoked) has been flooded with Indica buds. I want the average Joe to have access to something besides a mind-numbing, couch locking bud.

This is the last time I repost the same stuff over again haha. I'll just assume most people disagree with me and that will be all :)

I would like to thank most of you for expressing your views and contributing :)

tetragrammaton

Veteran
Also like I said, if you must buy from the bLack market, there are still great Mexican sativas being grown, but they are harder to come by. Most commercial Mexican bud is now hybrids.

They also are now learning to remove the males, so seeds are not the problem they once were. You'll find some sativa gems, but you'll also run into hempy schwagg full of seeds and leaves. In my experience with mexican sativas, they usually only remove the big fan leaves, so half of what you buy will be leaves, if that's what you want.

tribe

Fair enough, Indica can be used for medical reasons, but thats not what this article is saying. Its more about the underground, the hobby smoker.

I've been saying this for a while too and about a month ago I got fed up and have put a ban on indica. Sure I may have a toke of it every once in a while when I need a good chilll or sleep, but my main motivation to smoke ganja is to get HIGH! If say I grew ten strains, only 1 at most, would be an indica.

The problem is the majority of stoners don't even know there are the two main strains of ganja. They just see weed as weed not knowing that there are distinct variations. That's why "stoners" get a bad name. We need to educate people. EDUCATE!

Viva la Sativa revolution !!!

p.s. sory if any of this has been said already, I haven't had time to read the whole post.

Peace,
Tribe

tetragrammaton

Veteran
I certainly can relate to the article.

In my experience even occasional smokers can sometimes detect the differences, no matter how subtle they might be.

For example, my bassist who's an occasional smoker, strongly dislikes indicas, which is the main reason he's just an occasional smoker.

When I smoke a sativa with him, his eyes will become red, he will laugh and exclaim how high he is, and music sounds great to him. We will laugh and act silly, and have an enjoyable time.

When I smoke an indica with him, the opposite happens. He will become very quiet. He will acknowledge that he's high, but that it's not improving his mood or senses, and not that enjoyable. He doesn't have much to add to any conversation, and then gets tired.

I personally enjoy the relaxing, mellow, stones, but not at all times.

I have another friend who loves and prefers indicas. Hanging out with him consists of us each throwing in an 8th and smoking blunts, joints, and bowls until it's all gone, with no breaks. He's the only friend I have that can smoke that much. Half way through I'm pretty much at my peak, but we keep smoking. I never really have an enjoyable experience, because we are so baked, there's really nothing to say. He brings over some CDs for us to listen to, and that's all we do, is listen, and occasionally comment "I'm pretty baked".

Half way through my eyes are closed and I'm daydreaming, waiting for him to leave so I can pass out.

Whenever he has a really good sativa dominant strain, I will enjoy it, although he will hate it, saying it doesn't get him high, and if so, only for 5 minutes.

So really, everyones got their preferences. I personally like a mixture the best.

I personally dislike smoking an indica in the morning only to get very lethargic during the comedown. I also find that smoking more doesn't really refresh the high, and I still remain tired and drained. You do get used to this, if you're smoking the same strain for a while, but then tolerance kicks in and it takes way more than it should to get enjoyment out of it.

I think everyone can agree each type has it's place in the medical and recreational community.

I also believe that Sativa dominant hybrids can provide a very nice Sativa high without the negative aspects some sativas have. And we have Indica to thank for that.

Peace

Latest posts

Latest posts