What's new

Indica is diluting the sacred herb

ixnay007

"I can't remember the last time I had a blackout"
Veteran
Basically, what's needed is legalization.

You can't grow sativas properly indoors, they're just not meant to be constrained by space requirements. Being able to grow properly outdoors, setting up a proper greenhouse if you lived in a zone where the weather gets a bit ugly and cold come autumn, these are the things that will allow people to grow and share the joys of sativas.

As it is, the risks are very high, the returns and danger you face adding another 2 to 10 weeks to flowering times make commercial sativa cultivation nearly impossible to justify, especially considering the often reduced yields.

If MJ was legal, it could begin to do what the wine and microbrew industries have found out, there are people willing to pay good money for products which aren't run of the mill, and can offer new flavors, and experiences. That said, alcohol is legal, and most people drink crap.

tetragrammaton

Veteran
Omg man, indicas not some evil sub species out to take over sativa. if anything, you should be worried about ruderalis genes "diluting" your sacred herb.

Someone also insulted breeders and their work, by saying something along he lines of "their research and time should be spent developing sativas that finish faster, yield better, etc...".

WTF do you think they have been doing? In order to reach that goal, obviously indica is needed to reach that goal. There are still many great Sativa dominant hybrids, obviously you haven't experienced them, or if you did, your feeble mind can't accept indica was in it's background.

Also have you even tried a pure equatorial sativa? Because they can be just as heavy and narcotic, to the point of sleep, however it's all mental. It's like your brain is being sizzled, I personally enjoy it, much more than the mellow body high of indicas.

yes it's abundant in dutch strains, but those aren't the only seedbanks in the world. there are also plenty of countries in the world where sativas are all you'll get. why don't you move there?

indica is not going to go away just because you don't like it.

and to bring up the anslinger times, yes, pot was associated with laziness and much worse, such as committing murder and rape, as well as many racial sterotypes. so you fail at trying to blame indica on the publics misconception of cannabis.

I really don't see what the problem is with just growing a pure sativa yourself? Landrace Sativas are widely available with way more variety than the landrace indicas.

The U.S. medical scene for the most part doesn't have pure sativas. That doesn't mean thy don't exist. You have to grow them yourselves or get them imported.

Again, there is no shortage of pure sativa genetics, and there are many growers who preserve the genes. Pure sativa is not a commercial strain. A commercial grower is not going to take twice the time growing something with a low yield no matter how high the quality, because in the end, he'd have to get rid of it at the same price as all the other great strains.

and outdoors, commercial growers are growing for money, and obviously are going to grow something with a higher yield and shorter flowering time.

It's not going to change.If you want your sativa, grow it yourself. How hard is that?

rope

Yeah, I think both have their ups, Indica is great medicine for pain, and are much easier to grow. But there is something about those sativas...

I way prefer a sativa, or a well-balanced hybrid. Indica dominant strains tend to mess with my head and can suppress my motivation. If all I have is indica weed, I will smoke one joint in the evening and leave it at that. I've got some great sativa herb at the moment though and have been stoned consistently for the past 3 days. It's awesome.

That being said, I think indica certainly has it's place in the gene pool for indoor growers and medical patients.

M

m00nchild

I thought it would be interesting to point out here that the etymology of the word sativa, as used in botanical names, suggests that Cannabis sativa is more removed from a "natural" or "landrace" condition than Cannabis indica would be. I'm simply saying here that the word "sativa" literally means "cultivated," as opposed to "native-growing."

The word "indica" means "that which is of origin in India," so in a way, in terms of the specific organisms known as Cannabis indica and Cannabis sativa, it is the indica which is the more natural, undiluted herb.

(That all being said, I don't give a damn what is more natural or far removed from nature... I'm a huge sativa lover and it's all I want to smoke!)

thc_420

i agree 90% what the writter says but i woulndt call it a boring drug. i think we have time for both its like red whine and white wine. indica is good to chill at home, see a movie, relax after a hard day at work,medical patients, etc.. sativa as we all know is nice to go out & party, have a nice talk on a big group of friends, its nice for creativity works e.g: musicians, paiting artists. in a perfect world we should have both indica & sativa and im glad we have them. What destroys the cannabis culture is not the indica, its the seedbanks outhere selling seeds without any breeding information, making copies, and the fucking politicians.

tetragrammaton

Veteran
It seems to me the author of the article and the OP are generalizing the average smoker, as well as contradicting their stance.

The author of the article states that when indica came out, even when sativa was available, the people loved it. he admits it is strong in effect as well as having beautiful, fragrant, dense buds.

so he then assumes all people "forgot" about sativas. If the people didn't enjoy or prefer indica strains, it wouldn't have gone anywhere.

and people didn't forget, they got to work crossing sativas to indicas.

Now the OP states himself he grows indicas for their medicinal properties, yet still creates this thread which leaves me confused.

If he wants the average person to experience pure sativas, why doesn't he set up a large scale commercial operation? Because I don't see anyone else doing it.

while you're at it, Why don't you talk to the commerial growers and criminal organizations worldwide, and ask them to switch to something with a lower yield, more than twice the flowering time, and charge the same price as any other "elite" strain. Because you "know" it's what the consumer wants.

If you love sativas so much, move to a third world country where that's all they grow, and you can get it at unthinkable prices. There is no world shortage of pure sativas.

If consumers hate indicas and hybrids as much as you think, why are millions of people worldwide enjoying them?

Cush

It just sounds douchey when you talk about "the average mundane person". And compare sativas to jazz and indicas to pop. Are you that much better than everyone?

statusquo

No. I simply have more complex preferences when it comes to music. Also the average person is mundane... I am not better than everyone that would be an ignorant position.

Edit: I do not expect growers to adopt the extremely less economical sativa dominant hybrids/pure sativa strains. I don't expect this because the indica appreciation is already so deep seated and that's what consumers want. It's somewhat analagous to purple strains. People almost always just assume purps = dank when frequently they are actually less potent than average. Obviously there are exceptions however more often than not "purps" dissapoint. I have sampled many different varieties from clubs and private growers up and down cali so don't try and use the "all you smoke is shcwag argument" hahaha. I want to enlighten people to a different perspective so maybe we can even the scales and get more sativas back in the mix and also make more pure sativas available to the COMMERCIAL masses.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Think Reese's...

You got indica in my sativa!!

You got sativa in my indica!!

It's a winning team but you can still go buy a bar of chocolate and a jar of peanut butter independently of one another.... but they still jam well together dammit!

tetragrammaton

Veteran
You just stated that consumers want indicas...

I thought your whole argument was that indicas don't get people high, and that everyone should smoke pure sativas.

As I said, can you not go to another country?

tetragrammaton

Veteran
You also seem to think sativa aficianados are unable to get sativas. Plenty of growers will grow their own personal sativa.

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
I quite like indica actually. I just smoke at home after work and it relaxes me these days..

I remember when younger I would smoke a sativa, smiling, could not stop talking, laughing and out of control, a few beers later.

Then pass out in someone's backyard.

C

charlie garcia

comparing to wines, red and white, there is also "rosado" (pink-rose) here, its a mix between both basically, different wine
best

statusquo

As I said, can you not go to another country?
This is a stupid argument. You could say this anytime anyone ever had an issue about anything. And yes I am saying the consumers want Indicas just like millions of people believe in a Judeo Christian God - doesn't make it right. It's just all they know and what they have been force fed their whole life. People on this forum will be different since they are educated and can make informed decisions/opinions but most people don't have any idea...

And how am I ruining the gene pool? I make a concerted effort to keep a balanced genetic profile of pure sativas, hybrids and indicas.

tetragrammaton

Veteran
No, it is not a stupid argument you fool. There are plenty African, Asian, and Latin American countries that grow nothing but landrace sativas. That's what the "average person" smokes. It is also abundant and cheap.

Seriously, if you strive for a land where indicas don't exist, and the population exclusively smoke sativas, those places exist.

Either move to one of those countries, or take your own advice and set up a massive commercial sativa operation.

Indica is not going anywhere in the US, you need to accept it.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Indica is the cash crop. It's stone is relatively boring, narcotic and uniform.
these are the exact reason myself (& many many thousands of others) prefer indica's for medicinal use.

the article does make a point though, unfortunately it's at the top of the authors head.

here's the real deal though, don't fuck with my smoke and I won't fuck with yours; don't tell me what to toke & I'll return the favor.

HighTimes desperately needed to fill 2 pages and relied on that article.......

Latest posts

Latest posts