What's new

In Search Of: Monkey Paw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owl Mirror

Veteran
CSedge and Owl Mirror....

How are those girls looking??!! You guys have me itching for updates with this elusive girl!
BUMP!!
dank.Frank

Frank, I don't have this strain. Yet if anyone would like for me to grow it, I will most definitely make room in my cabinet ;>}
Hell, if possible I would even make a boatload of seeds and gift them as Freebies on SeedBay ;>}

Just drop me a line and I'll jump thru a hoop ;>}

C

csedge

just chopeed this one at nine weeks today, prlly couldve went another week trichomes only about 10% amber but its alright. Will post some dry pictures of it in a week or so.

C

csedge

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
just chopeed this one at nine weeks today, prlly couldve went another week trichomes only about 10% amber but its alright. Will post some dry pictures of it in a week or so.

C

csedge

mp2 the last one picked was too early still nice smoke though this one lookes way better one maybe two weeks left in her max
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

C

csedge

sour fruit? Idk im kind of a bad describer lol but very sour with a hint of fruit. Actually smells alot like the dried bud did that i got the seeds in and looks like it too

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
did you take clones? and if so, are you planning on trying a second run, a bit more dialed in? I know I always get better results in a second run with clones...the plant is more mature for one, and I am a bit more familiar with the plant 2nd time around, naturally.

Hmm....must be a fairly true breeding plant too then...

How many weeks is that again? Looking tasty thus far for sure...

dank.Frank

Owl Mirror

Veteran
I just found this strain for sale on Seedboo and am wondering if it may be the strain I've been looking for?
It seems to have the same traits except for the lack of description regarding the BLACK coloring.
Could this be linked to the Monkey Paw ?

Foxtail Sativa ~ The lineage of this plant can be traced to Southeast Asia and specifically the Cambodian border with Laos.

I really wish there was more information on this strain like, is it a true landrace strain or did someone concoct it by breeding various strains?

I've heard of a strain called Vietnamese Black.
Viet Combo (Spice Brothers) Vietnamese X Vietnamese Black

. Would you share any history of VB?
....~ According to our original source, the truebreeding Vietnamese Black has been in North America since 77. Clones of the original VB female have since been in circulation within Canada, USA, and Southeast Asia for quite some time. Until recently, the availability of seeds has been very rare.
http://www.vibescollective.org/strainguide/hybrids/1885

Is it possible that this Vietnamese Black was crossed with this Foxtail Sativa which produced the unique looking buds ?

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It is possible that ANYTHING could be monkey paw...HOWEVER....in order to actually KNOW...you would have to first find Monkey Paw.

There is nothing to really say Monkey Paw came from that region of the world, any more than there is to say it didn't come from Africa or South America.

HONESTLY...I STILL contest that MP is unique. I TRULY believe that it is a hybrid...even from that time period. I think it is a 70/30 sativa dominant cross. I think it probably has a bit of Viet/Thai/Hawaii/Columbian. I have my reasons...mostly because of structure and flavors and growth patterns. I do think MP is a predominant sativa, that has an INDICA buzz. YES. I know. My opinion, is that it is the odd ball out...like C99. A plant that grows JUST LIKE an indica, that gives a SOARING high. MP in my opinion, is unique, b/c it parallels this...it IS a SATIVA dominant plant, that is oddly indica in its effects and structure and growth. I will assert once again...IT IS UNIQUE. It truly is. If it wasn't, I would not be hunting it down so intensely.

There are many things that foxtail....it is a sativa trait. However, foxtails are NOT the most important trait of MP. The trait to look for, is FINGERS. Monkey paw not only foxtails, but does so in a thick, chunky bud formation...with multiple SHORT, thick tails on dense chunky nugs. NOW, I will say, that NOT all of these buds have tails...only the larger ones from what I understand...

When I saw MP myself, it was NOT foxtailed. It was small, dense, ROCK HARD, golf ball (+) nugs...that were very kushy in appearance...but NOT KUSH. NOT KUSH. Smells nothing at all like kush...

All I know, is that Monkey Paw...at this point, and for the past 35+ years...has been its own strain. It seems that the exact makeup is long lost to those that use forums. Come the beginning of next year, I WILL begin a hunt...a TRUE hunt for MP. In the region in which it is held...and HAS been held for over 25 years.

I think it would almost be a vain...in fact, I KNOW it would be a vain attempt to recreate this line. We really have NO IDEA where to start in reality. The only thing I can imagine doing, is finding it again, and attempting to outcross...and begin a Bx/Ix project. I mean, MP is a legend. Once found, I will simply begin what will be LITERALLY YEARS of work...and I WILL make a consistent seed form of MP...

It is still out there....I will find it.

This is not meant to discourage the attempt of breeding those Asian lines together...I just know your end result will not be the TRUE Monkey Paw. And keep in mind, those lines take MUCH time to flower out and are very sensitive and finicky...it takes a talented and patient grower. Although, Owl Mirror...I know you are this type of grower...I HAVE seen your threads and the lines you seek/choose to work with...you have old skool taste!!

dank.Frank

C

csedge

Chopped the other paw today, rock hard buds. Usually when i chop a plant the buds are squshy moist but these are so dense that even with the moisture u still cant smush them

C

csedge

Its dried now realy heavy smoke almost a week cured, so ill take pictures soon deffinitly verrry good

TheStrainMan

Veteran
I just found a strain called Monkey Paw at a dispensary in Boulder, CO. Rock hard nugs, absolutely trich glazed, great, heavy stone. Only smoked once and added the nugs to the collection drawer, but now since there's such an interest, I'll go back and do a complete smoke report with high quality pictures on my blog. Dank, I'll get more info for ya from the owners of the shop if my pics bring back memories for ya. Stay tuned.

Peksman

Hey Dank...did you get in contact with B.O.G. about paw. You posted a link to picture on the first page and now that Bushy is back...good luck mate and K+ for your effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.