What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

In Search Of: Monkey Paw

Status
Not open for further replies.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No, that does sound like a pretty similar description....Especially, the smell being astringent...and stinging your nose.

If you want, take a look on the first page and read the very first post. I gave a description of some Paw I ran into back in '06. Not to mention, there is a pic of some paw on that page as well, which shows the stacked foxtails/fingers.

dank.Frank

greendude

Hey shack , hows it going.
My Mp is dark green , with huge leafs and yes the smell is one of a kind . If you ever grew it you would know the plant by the smell alone . I've grow alot of diffrent strains over the years . All old school but nothing ever came close to MP.
I smoke with some growers in my area and they grow alot of indica which is all good weed . But when I break out a couple grams of the paw ppl always just put their shit away, knowing what they got wont compare.
I have a line on more seeds so stay tuned

Owl Mirror

Veteran
Hey shack , hows it going.
My Mp is dark green , with huge leafs and yes the smell is one of a kind .

I smoke with some growers in my area and they grow alot of indica which is all good weed .
I have a line on more seeds so stay tuned

While I have never grown this strain or even seen it growing, the description of: "dark green , with huge leafs" doesn't seem to fit. I was always under the impression this strain was a pure Sativa landrace. I could be wrong but, everything I've heard places this plant coming from Asia and a definite Sativa. Are the seeds you have from fertilized buds?
Is it possible they may be a cross-breed between an Indica ?

shack

I just read the whole thread,and from what I can tell,some say its sativa,some say its more indica and some say its a mix:chin::abduct:I'm confused.
Hey g.dude-good here.
You got any pics of your MP? it sounds killer.:respect:

i just skimmed over this thread a bit...

i remember reading about this "monkey paw" somewhere on the net a while ago.
aparently it was brought back from nam...
a VERY short plant, only growing a couple feet tall outdoors.
and some of the most potent smoke around aparently.

prolly a few differnt strains people are mixing up here... everyone seems to have somethign differnt to say.

No, that does sound like a pretty similar description....Especially, the smell being astringent...and stinging your nose.

If you want, take a look on the first page and read the very first post. I gave a description of some Paw I ran into back in '06. Not to mention, there is a pic of some paw on that page as well, which shows the stacked foxtails/fingers.

dank.Frank

nice, i knew i wasnt retarted

C

csedge

Dark green huge leaves sounds so fimiliar to mine same with short squat one of a kind smell, it impresses me more n more everyday im goin to do a picture day tomorrow.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am truly loving the fact that this thread is growing and so many may be in possession of the paw....very exciting!!! I am watching on the edge of my seat with an eager intensity!!

dank.Frank

shack

Heres a statement/quote from a member at another site.

I recenly found an old stash box with "true" columbian gold and something we called "monkey paw" seeds in an air tight container. must be at least twenty years old but seeds still looked perfect and fresh.If i remeber rightly, columbian gold was a sativa with a long flowering period and i m scared of starting them and losing them to winter. the monkey paw was a true indica with aknock out stone for 4 hours and a burn out period of longer. great meds though even back from the 80's.

Owl Mirror

Veteran
Hey frank, have you ever heard of anyone outside of Michigan growing this strain?
Somehow I can't imagine this strain hasn't been picked up by someone in Amsterdam.
I'm wondering if it's not known by another name ? Any thoughts on that?

I am getting a bit confused by all the comments in this thread on it's appearance and potency/effect.
How is it that some say it's a four foot bush while others say it's a 20 footer ?
Some say it has the biggest, fattest leaves yet, it's a potent hallucinogenic Sativa high.

Is it possible that 'the Paw' is the precursor to the entire Diesel line ?

Owl Mirror

Veteran
Heres a statement/quote from a member at another site.

Yeah, I bet most of us are kicking ourselves for tossing all those seeds from the rolling tray back then ;>} I know I do !

I can remember times seeing whole lb baggies filled with seeds from that Colombian Gold. Not needing to grow since it was so available and cheap, I saw no need to saving those seeds.

OrganicMeds

Sounds real interesting, some things I found.... Sounds like a Viet strain for sure!

"Well the seeds came from a friend that got them from his dad. I talk to his Dad and he told me he been grow this strain for 35 or so years. He brought the seeds back from Nam . Said it was called monkey paw. I remember back in the 80 smoking some of his weed and man that was the best weed I had ever smoked . Small buds but they would leave you feeling so stoned you couldnt move . I have done been trying to find some one with pics so I can compare to what I'm growning to make sure."

"Ahh, monkey paw. Pot raisins. 20 years ago I got an eigth on my travels through Florida and wish it had seeds. Definitely "up there" as far as highs go. I also believe I was told a story about "nam" by the old head I got it from. I traded it for a little ball of hash and my t shirt."

"been smoking since 66'. yea, i had some of that monkey paw shit. i had a good friend in nam that would send me weed from there. talk about a trip. tryed taking a hit of mescaline and smoking that stuff. sat in the same chair for 5 hours.
lord, thought i was losing it. good shit. good luck with it. i remember we had some off names of weed in the day in waikiki. elephant, tai sticks, puna butter, mango, kona gold, all good kick ass stuff. shucks, yea. can't go back to the day, can only hope to find someone that hasn't cross breed them to death. thanks for the walk down the lane."

"in my experience, monkey paw was a strain in s. vietnam that came around just before monsoon season every year for the three I was there. really dense small bud that you could not believe there was so many hits per bud. Grunts, especially real fresh from the US, would always say they wanted 2 or 3 $20.00 bags (1/2 oz dime bags)(yea that's right twenty dollars) cuz quantities always looked on the light side, but it was so damn dense!
there was a guy on another site a few years back, 420 I think, that did some independent selling of strains and he advertised monkey paw. Caught my eye, but didn't take the chance it was the same stuff. I think his tag was "rusher"........
anyway you youngsters, if you get the chance try it. If it's real, it will ruin you for anything else till it's all gone......."

"Sativa , First time I've grown it . The guy I got them from said he has never crossed bread it with any others . LOL he said he wanted it the same way it was back in nam . He always grew it outside , wasnt sure how it was going to do in my hydro setup . The yeild wasn't even a fraction of what he gets . I took some over for him to try . Said it had a little cleaner taste then his but the high was the same ."

"And then I smoked what was called Monkey paw...Essentianly it was 'kind bud' before kind bud had a name. And it was always my understanding that it was called 'monkey paw' because the crystals coated the leaves so thick, that the leaves looked like a bunch of hands grabing the outside of the bud, or a bunch of 'monkey paws'."

"But Monkey Paw has been around for along time. The first time I smoked it was back in 75. Small buds but very dank . Its a sativa landrace strain . I had though I lost the strain a few months back when I got raided. But managed to hook back up with the guy I got them from . Now I have 12 nice plants thriving . I got one male that I took pollen from and dusted one plant completely . Its in its own grow box . So soon I will have my seeds and wont lose the strain again."

"Well rush still has the old school monkey paw. I'm glad to see that the legend lives on. It Finishes in 9-11w and yields big. I'm still hunting for magic african black. THE KING OF ALL WEED. I have been on a hunt for that one since the 1992."

"I remember it. I came across it in the 70's when I first started smoking. Knew some vets that grew it. They had bought it back from Nam. The couple vets I knew bought it back in 70, and had been growing it. I met them in 74. Very tiny seeds and buds. Plants only get 4 ft or so. Some of the most mind altering stuff I have ever smoked. I remember the first bag, it was my 2nd bag ever, had just been smoking maybe 3, 4 months. $5 for a handful, filled a cigarette Cello. I honestly thought this stuff was laced I was so high. Why the vets called it Monkey Paw I do not know. From what I understand, the Vietnam Black is Monkey Paw, so if you can find that, you have found Monkey Paw. Reason I say this; an old Nam vet in Amsterdam was on this tour with me, it was my first trip there in 85. They were showing us some Vietnamese Black and this old vet whispered, not sure if to me or himself: "man, thats that Monkeys Paw from the war".

Another vet told me, and he had grown it since 72, that it gots it's name b/c that is the code they used on the radio for it. When they encountered a field, they called it Monkey Paw. Who really knows. One thing I remember is good bud, and that was some of the best stuff I ever smoked till this day. There were 2 kinds of weed I remember real well, Monkeys Paw, and the Puna Bud, I remember those best b/c they were not always around, and I honestly thought I had smoked laced bud I had got so high.

It kind of disappeared after 1980, I'm sure a few old vets still grow it, or maybe their kids do now. Last person I knew that grew it died in 1982 from cancer due to Agent Orange exposure. He made some cool fire works too.

Man, I am too old. Wish I had some of those seeds though, both the Monkey Paw and the Puna. I'd give my left nut for some of those right now."

"I lived outside of lawton many years ago and was lucky enough to get a few bags. My experience were buds that had clusters of red hairs huge clusters very very easy to roll red haired doobies and absolute fire.I have never grown it but I obtained the seeds recently from a vietnam vet who offered them after hearing of me being legal.Cool beans huh. there is a member dankfrank who says they have a genetic trait of foxtailing thats all I know.. well if you look in the urban dictionary it says weed with something added but thats B.S."

"There is a sign when you enter Bay Village. Its says welcome to the home of the Best Grown Monkey Paw."

Owl Mirror

Veteran
Nice posting OrganicMeds !

Someone here said they thought the strain named after Willie Nelson was close to Monkey Paw.
I wonder if it was the Vietnamese strain used in that cross ?

Vietnam Black being release again?

Vietnam Black Strain Description
Originating from Vietnamese genetics brought back to North America in 77, she's an extremely potent exotic sativa.

Willie Nelson ~ Parents: Vietnamese Black and Highland Nepalese

Hm? I'm half-way to recreating some Willie Nelson ?

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well, I do know one thing for sure....Monkey Paw is "UNIQUE". I have continued to state this fact over and over again. The fact that we are not really able to pinpoint any exact point of origin, is a bit discouraging...

I know the Paw to be a Mid-west thing...and even more specifically, a Michigan thing. To my knowledge, there is a small group of growers, that do in fact hold and ensure that the paw survives...simply because it is some serious dank. Now, who they are, eludes me. I have a very generic/general idea of where this group is located....and given the opportunity, when the time is right, I will pursue the Paw in this type of manner. Eventually, I'll cross paths with the right person, and everything will come into place. I know all good things come to those who wait.

This thread is growing and blossoming. It is great to know that so many do in fact remember Monkey Paw...it is unfortunate, that it seems there are a few different accounts as to HOW it is remembered. Keep in mind, that things effect people differently, bud quality differs between growers....even of the exact same cut. Nutrients used can change smells, flavors, and terepenes. Environment / growing methods / harvest window can change the density, the stretch, the resin content, the type of high produced....ALL these things MUST be remembered and taken into consideration when relating our account with this particular line...especially since we are all still trying to confirm any similarities between those that are fortunate enough to be in possession of this wonderful plant....I will continue to assert...and not out of disbelief of anyone here, but simply because I feel it is the most intellectual approach to the subject matter....that the only PROOF of the Paw, will be discovered upon growing these plants and seeds through an entire cycle.

Personally, I have never seen the plant itself grown...just the finished product. I would not know how the leaves were, or the growth patterns or any of those other useful tools or identification hints as to the lineage...I wish I did. I wish I could jump and down and cry...YES....that little seedling (which to me "all" seedlings look the same...hahaha) is THE PAW. But once again, time will be the only thing to tell us all for sure what we have, and what we are working with.

I would be ecstatic and a wee bit surprised...to know that a fellow ICmagger would have the paw. After all, this thread has been here for well over a year....and it has just recently blown up. Now, in my mind, there is a very reasonable and plausible explanation for this....after all, Michigan DID just pass MMJ laws...and those that hold it might be creeping out of the wood work...

However, as has been expressed to me, and out of concern for others security and safety...and I have made note of this myself...there are crooks and people willing to hood-wink anyone foolish enough to bite at the worm...but there are several very new members here touting that THEY hold the Paw....possible...and exciting....BUT...be warned - If I do hear of anyone taking advantage or manipulating another member by playing on their desire to have this long lost strain....there are consequence to such deviant behavior...there are people at this site that are very good at handling these types of situations.

Let's all be smart and be cautious...and most importantly...be patient. Remember the ICmag TOU (terms of use) are there for each and every members safety.

And please...no one posting take offense to this post or my opinions or comments. This is directed at no one particular individual. This is just something I feel needs to be said...so that the HEART of this thread can continue...so that the purpose of this thread is eventually realized in fullness....

May the search for Monkey Paw, continue....and thank you all so much for your posts and your efforts to help me. I have enjoyed reading the responses and the recent influx of information and those becoming involved in my quest, is touching, and why I love ICmag and our community so very much! Let's keep it real!!

dank.Frank

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There is a strain in the big book of buds called Monkey Balls. Some say it is Deep Chunk. In fact Monkey Balls is listed as Deep Chunk but the author didn't think they were the same. Close but not the same.

Monkey Balls = Deep Chunk :D

Monkey Shit means "Caca de Mono" in spanish,and it´s a widely used term for a certain kind of mj in South & Central America,Belize and S.E. Mexico

"Back in the 1970's Belize enjoyed a measure of prosperity by exporting to Wisconsin buyers, the famous 'Belizean Breeze' sensamilla, by the plane and boatload. DEA crackdowns in the Straits of Yucatan and Gulf of Mexico gave some trouble and slowed the export potentiality of this herb to the northern USA states."

I read that one of the parents of Nirvana´s Papaya is unknown strain x Hindu kush.
I´ve also read that Papaya has some Belizean "Monkey Shit" in it :muahaha:
sorry about the rant :D

cashmunny

I find this marijuana folk lore facinating. It's too bad so much of the origins/history of our favorite plant is shrouded in mystery because of underground nature of the biz.

C

csedge

little mp update phenos one and two

ones very sativa looking and one has huge indica leaves lol go figure

pheno 1

pheno 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts