What's new

ICMAG Administration endorses The Regulate, Control and Tax Cannabis Act of 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
beck has called for taxation and regulation on his radio and television program.
obama laughs at the question as if it were a joke that america has more prisoners than any other nation.

Before he was president, Obama admitted to having smoked Marijuana and saying that he thought it should be decriminalized.

As president, he must pick and choose his statements very carefully.

Politics at a national level are different than at state level.

If Obama had said "Yeah, you're right. Let's legalize it" you can be damn sure that his handlers would've had mountains of evidence behind them that said the VAST MAJORITY of Americans supported legalization.

Until he is sure VAST MAJORITY of Americans support legalization, he's going to pick and choose his battles.

He's not the WEED president. He's the president.

And voting for politicians means that you elect a politician - every time!

I was all for Ron Paul, but he isn't Jesus. The President cannot pass laws on his own. It requires the support of Congress, the House and then the backing of the judicial branch.

That's the way our system is setup.

It did piss me off when he totally avoided the question, but realistically, what did I expect?

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
not to laugh at the suffering of millions?

He laughed at the suggestion (as stated in the question posed) that Marijuana was the solution to our debt issues. They did not even have a discussion about it. He just laughed and said, "No, I don't think that's the best strategy to grow our economy."

If you watch it, as soon as the discussion comes up, the AUDIENCE starts laughing about it. Politicians play to the room. So he chuckled and said (in the context of the question) no.

The question was not:
"Should medical marijuana be legal for all americans?"
"What do you think about raiding medical marijuana dispensaries?"
"Do you believe we should arrest medical patients?"
"Do you think we should be incarcerating huge numbers of people over this failed drug war?'

He might've had a different answer if that were the question.

But it was an online poll about how to JUMP START THE ECONOMY. Not about medical rights, not about prisoner rights, not about growers rights.

You're taking it out of context, homie.

I'm not all up-in-obama's-ass. I distrusted Bill Clinton all the way up to his impeachment (which I was against) but then I saw what life was like under Bush... and now I think Clinton's the fucking MAN.

I like the sorts of things Obama has TRIED to do (What other president has publicly called for his opposition to come and sit down at a table and help to craft a law that everyone can get behind?) but I think that Fox News and the GOP are trying every dirty tactic in their book to keep any of Obama's goals from happening.

The GOP seems more concerned with beating Obama than they are about Jobs, deficits, middle class and poor people. They seem to really REALLY REALLY care about the rich, though.

So if you're rich, I understand why you would worship Glenn Beck. Or if you're retarded. But if you're not either, I have no idea why you would listen to that guy.

All that said, I'm not on Obama's jock. I distrust anyone who has the resources and temerity to be elected president in this day and age.

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
He laughed at the suggestion (as stated in the question posed) that Marijuana was the solution to our debt issues. They did not even have a discussion about it. He just laughed and said, "No, I don't think that's the best strategy to grow our economy."

If you watch it, as soon as the discussion comes up, the AUDIENCE starts laughing about it. Politicians play to the room. So he chuckled and said (in the context of the question) no.

The question was not:
"Should medical marijuana be legal for all americans?"
"What do you think about raiding medical marijuana dispensaries?"
"Do you believe we should arrest medical patients?"
"Do you think we should be incarcerating huge numbers of people over this failed drug war?'

He might've had a different answer if that were the question.

But it was an online poll about how to JUMP START THE ECONOMY. Not about medical rights, not about prisoner rights, not about growers rights.

You're taking it out of context, homie.

I'm not all up-in-obama's-ass. I distrusted Bill Clinton all the way up to his impeachment (which I was against) but then I saw what life was like under Bush... and now I think Clinton's the fucking MAN.

I like the sorts of things Obama has TRIED to do (What other president has publicly called for his opposition to come and sit down at a table and help to craft a law that everyone can get behind?) but I think that Fox News and the GOP are trying every dirty tactic in their book to keep any of Obama's goals from happening.

The GOP seems more concerned with beating Obama than they are about Jobs, deficits, middle class and poor people. They seem to really REALLY REALLY care about the rich, though.

So if you're rich, I understand why you would worship Glenn Beck. Or if you're retarded. But if you're not either, I have no idea why you would listen to that guy.

All that said, I'm not on Obama's jock. I distrust anyone who has the resources and temerity to be elected president in this day and age.

im thinking we re getting to close to political but then again it is relevant..

i think we need a ruling from the gyp b4 we continue?

i also love how he completely ignored us on the change.org polls that we presented him (in which the #1 issue was legalization) but he "took action" by ignoring what he said he would take seriously...

check it out here
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=162667&page=2

http://www.change.org/ideas

Z

zen_trikester

If you don't like politicians to play politics, start a grass-roots program that eliminates political advertisements and makes contributing to an election campaign illegal.

As long as big companies and special interests are helping to elect the candidates of their choice, you won't see anything but trivial changes no matter WHO you elect.

That's the state of our Corporatocracy.

So, so true Anti... maybe we could dissolve the 2 party system also and then push out the career politicians to make room for people who work, live, and breathe as citizens and care about us as such. As citizens we are trained to see our right to vote as a choice of 2 or maybe three individuals that are pushed up high enough for us to see. The political puppet strings are strangling this country, and the controls are wielded by private interest groups or entities who would sell the soul of the American people to fill their pockets and cover their asses.

Jed

someotherguy

Veteran
I'm glad we got Obama rather than the mavericks
i'm not, i'd rather have a maverick than a lying fool any day!

Just another head of the same beast.....He isnt using their 'choke on bullshit' tactic though, he's using TRUE BELIEVER tactics. Not going to get into a GOP vs. Dem debate here, just pointing out that he is using tatics LEO and the likes use. I'm just wondering if he is going to start Anslinger-Hearst smears next!
i only chimed in because i can't believe people are still
jumping on the 'bash Bush bus', Obama is an empty suit,
a used car salesman who will say whatever he thinks will
get him elected, plus, he has absolutely NO experience
running ANYTHING. which is becoming very apparent the
longer he is in office.

and Democans, Republicrats, what's the fuckin' difference?
ALL career politicians MUST go!

focusing solely on cannabis issues, solely cannabis related:

do you think Beck or anyone else would have done more for us in the first year? They are just words but we know that they have had impact on people the same way Bernanke's words can affect the market.

Beck, Palin, Angle, McCain, all have some states rights/libertarian themes they like to employ, but do you think they will alienate their religious base in order to make the Libertarians happy?

Like Bill said I'm not trying to open a can of worms on this thread, but i think this specific issue could be a classic "wedge" that is used to divide voting blocks.

I think Ron Paul could/would do more. But i don't think the country is ready for a strict libertarian president.

again not trying to divide the thread, not wanting to focus on anything but cannabis related issues. DO any of you really believe someone else would have done more for this site's constituency?
as American citizens we can't allow ourselves to think of
only one issue, regardless of how dear that single issue
might be to us, personally. we have a duty to elect people
who have integrity, not all these lying politicians.

you are aware that Sarah Palin was the only person in
the last presidential election who wasn't a millionaire?
i despise the Democrats for what they have
tried to do to her! (which, btw, hasn't worked as almost
everyone she has endorsed has won)

If you don't like politicians to play politics, start a grass-roots program that eliminates political advertisements and makes contributing to an election campaign illegal.

As long as big companies and special interests are helping to elect the candidates of their choice, you won't see anything but trivial changes no matter WHO you elect.

That's the state of our Corporatocracy.
while everything you say is true here Anti, it's important
to understand the philosophical differences, the Democrats,
and the corporations who control them, believe they should
take care of us, as though we are too inept to take care
of our selves.

the Repuplicans, and the corporations who control them,
believe we become great by taking responsibility
for our own lives, a fundamentally more empowering place
to be in my opinion.

So, so true Anti... maybe we could dissolve the 2 party system also and then push out the career politicians to make room for people who work, live, and breathe as citizens and care about us as such. As citizens we are trained to see our right to vote as a choice of 2 or maybe three individuals that are pushed up high enough for us to see. The political puppet strings are strangling this country, and the controls are wielded by private interest groups or entities who would sell the soul of the American people to fill their pockets and cover their asses.

Jed
our only chance to save ourselves and this great country
is if we, as citizens, become the government again, which
means that those of us who have the ability have a duty
to exercise that ability and those of us who aren't able to
run for public office need to start really paying attention,
it's apathy which has led us to this day.

oh, and btw, Bill Clinton was a fucking liar from day one,
when he said 'i didn't inhale', before his first election, every
one of us, as stoners, had to know, with absolute certainty,
that he was completely full of shit!

that's part of our problem, electing fools without a shred of integrity.

peace, SOG

igrowone

Veteran
the prior posts that have gone 'political' illustrate one point very nicely, federal change is a low priority for any likely occupant of the oval office<br>
with one big exception, and it's not a person<br>
pass prop 19 and watch the federal activity, that will bring a change, at least in activity<br>
will it bring the big change? no way to say for sure, but if you want to give the federal government a wedgie, vote yes on prop 19

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
you are aware that Sarah Palin was the only person in
the last presidential election who wasn't a millionaire?
i despise the Democrats for what they have
tried to do to her! (which, btw, hasn't worked as almost
everyone she has endorsed has won)

Sarah Palin is the former governor of Alaska and ran for Vice President of the United States on the 2008 Republican ticket. Her net worth is $12 million. Palin was born in Sandpoint, Idaho, but moved to Wasilla, Alaska as an infant and still considers it her home. In 1984, she won the Miss Wasilla Pageant and went on to win third place and the Miss Congeniality award in the competition for Miss Alaska. At the same time, she attended college in Hawaii, Idaho, and Alaska, eventually earning her bachelor’s in communications from the University of Idaho. In 1992, Palin won a spot on the Wasilla City Council; in 1996, she became mayor, and in 2006, she became the youngest person and the first woman to be elected Governor of Alaska.
In 2008, she was catapulted into the national political spotlight when presidential hopeful John McCain chose her as his running mate; McCain and Palin lost, but Palin retained her status as one of the most talked-about personalities in politics. In 2009, Palin surprised the political community by announcing that she would not seek gubernatorial re-election in 2010, and resigned the governorship of Alaska with eighteen months left in her term. Shortly afterwards, Harper Collins published Palin’s autobiography Going Rogue: An American Life, which sold over a million copies within two weeks of hitting shelves, one of only four political memoirs to do so, and Palin signed a multi-year contract (minus financial details) with FOX News. Palin has been married to oilfield manager and commercial fisherman Todd Palin since 1988, and the pair have five children.
http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-politicians/republicans/sarah-palin-net-worth/

She was worth over a mil at the time...but when she quit as Gov, she quickly made a cool $12 mil--
Wonder what drives her??

beck has called for taxation and regulation on his radio and television program.

True. I have heard him say this, but he says lots of things. I'ld love to believe that the voting block needed to elect him would fall in line, the christian conservatives, but i can't see that.

I stand corrected about the beckster's stance tho.

Also, every politician in the world will have Medical Marijuana on their lips if the 8th largest economy in the world legalizes. Huge ramifications; the U.N., IMF, and the domino effect through the states.

someotherguy

Veteran
http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-politicians/republicans/sarah-palin-net-worth/

She was worth over a mil at the time...but when she quit as Gov, she quickly made a cool $12 mil--
Wonder what drives her??
lawyers fees? defending herself from spurious Democtatic
attacks? (all of which were thrown out in court but still
cost her an immense amount of money defending herself)

...and i didn't see anything in that article saying she was
a millionaire BEFORE the election.

...and how much is Obama worth?

SOG

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
\

...and i didn't see anything in that article saying she was
a millionaire BEFORE the election.
SOG

This is from an article in 2008--
Gov. Palin, who’s hinged much of her reputation on being a homespun candidate has total assets worth $1.2 million dollars. From the AP:
The Palins’ assets seem enviable: a half-million-dollar home on a lake with a float-plane at the dock, two vacation retreats, commercial-fishing rights worth an estimated $50,000 or more and an income last year of at least $230,000. That compares to a median income of $64,333 for Alaskans and $50,740 for Americans in 2007, according to the Census Bureau.
The article also points out that “a lot of Alaskans own a lot of land.” Both the Palins and the Bidens are well-off, but not as wealthy as the Obamas, or to a greater extent, the McCains. Plus, the Palins have five kids to feed.
We’ve written about the personal finances of Sen. Biden and Gov. Palin before, and more will emerge as the two continue to fill out federal paperwork.
With over $1 million in total assets, Gov. Palin has some company among the voting public. TNS Financial Services reported that there were a record 9.3 million millionaires (households with a total net worth of over $1 million dollars) in the U.S. in 2006.
http://blogs.wsj.com/wallet/2008/10/03/sarah-palin-millionaire/

someotherguy

Veteran
assuming the article is written by people of integrity and is accurate.

the point was that she was much closer to being a regular
working class person than ANYONE else in that race.

and the Democratic smear campaign against her was despicable!

regardless of whether you agree with her, she deserves to
be treated with at least a modicum of respect and not subjected
to slanderous attacks meant to obfuscate the real issue
which was that Obama was unqualified, period.

SOG

our only chance to save ourselves and this great country
is if we, as citizens, become the government again, which
means that those of us who have the ability have a duty
to exercise that ability and those of us who aren't able to
run for public office need to start really paying attention,
it's apathy which has led us to this day.

that's our problem, electing fools without a shred of integrity.

peace, SOG

What i meant by solely focusing on marijuana was that we should discuss only that in this thread. not take it to the ideological extremes. Liberals; conservatives.

I don't agree with everything you said. But the underlined paragraph holds sway with me. Apathy is the reason for the degradation of our system of government, IMO. It combined with unlimited private lobbying has disillusioned the average voter. So the silent apathetic majority ends up behind the ball so to speak, b/c the loudest mouth gets fed. Money=volume.
Take private money out of campaign finance, I say. And then we can move on to my favorite subject.

How to eliminate apathy...?
*opens can'o'worm* I think hope is the best available option to eliminate apathy.

Its how you stop a gang members from destroying their communities. Give a person hope that the can change their situation and most people will try.
The six minute mile comes to mind. No one thought it was possible but once it was broken, a few dozen people broke it again the next year. You can never achieve anything you can't envision yourself actually doing.

:2cents:*chling cking*

regardless of whether you agree with HIM, he deserves to
be treated with at least a modicum of respect and not subjected
to slanderous attacks meant to obfuscate the real issue
which was that Palin was unqualified, period.

SOG

I fixed it for you.

2nd Edit- @kmk420kali - Pa-pow with the articles. I love it. must spread.

Last edited:

GanjaAL

Anyone catch that city in california which is planning on taxing home growers???? LOL. Yup... neighbors complaining about home growers as they feel it brings down the value of the neighborhood. Yup, prohibitionists who will be in control to tax, regulate and ban as they see fit will most likely offer incentives for people turning in home growers...LOL. Not paying taxes is something you do not want to mess with.... worse than the police raiding your house. Oh and most likely this will carry over into the MMJ 215.

Watch what you wish for because you are going to get it and you will give them all the power...LOL.

Read it for yourself:

http://www.sacbee.com/2010/08/29/2990666/california-town-wants-to-tax-marijuana.html

Vote no come november!

someotherguy

Veteran
What i meant by solely focusing on marijuana was that we should discuss only that in this thread. not take it to the ideological extremes. Liberals; conservatives.

I don't agree with everything you said. But the underlined paragraph holds sway with me. Apathy is the reason for the degradation of our system of government, IMO. It combined with unlimited private lobbying has disillusioned the average voter. So the silent apathetic majority ends up behind the ball so to speak, b/c the loudest mouth gets fed. Money=volume.
Take private money out of campaign finance, I say. And then we can move on to my favorite subject.

How to eliminate apathy...?
*opens can'o'worm* I think hope is the best available option to eliminate apathy.

Its how you stop a gang members from destroying their communities. Give a person hope that the can change their situation and most people will try.
The six minute mile comes to mind. No one thought it was possible but once it was broken, a few dozen people broke it again the next year. You can never achieve anything you can't envision yourself actually doing.

:2cents:*chling cking*

i just have a difficult time sitting quietly while people
bash the conservatives, especially when our government
is currently being run into the toilet by liberal morons who
have absolutely no integrity at all, nor are they qualified
for the job as evidenced by the current state of affairs
in this country.

and while i agree that this thread should stick to the topic
at hand, it wasn't me who offhandedly insulted those conservatives
who are speaking out against this current administrations
power grab.

for the first time in history we, as common citizens, have
access to as much information as we care to know and
if we don't educate ourselves and hold our politicians feet
to the fire then we deserve to be treated like the cattle
we will have proven ourselves to be.

SOG

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
while everything you say is true here Anti, it's important to understand the philosophical differences, the Democrats, and the corporations who control them, believe they should take care of us, as though we are too inept to take care of our selves.

the Repuplicans, and the corporations who control them,
believe we become great by taking responsibility
for our own lives, a fundamentally more empowering place
to be in my opinion.

If the Republicans really are the ones who want less government in our lives and more personal responsibility, how come most Republican politicians come out against Marijuana?

Seems to me that the party of personal responsibility would understand that (as Clockwork Orange points out) in order for people to make a positive CHOICE they must have the OPTION of making a "negative" choice.

If the negative choices are not on the table, in what sense can your action (choosing the only available legal option) be said to be moral?

Morality exists in the gap between law and anarchy.

I enjoyed your post.

oh, and btw, Bill Clinton was a fucking liar from day one,
when he said 'i didn't inhale', before his first election, every
one of us, as stoners, had to know, with absolute certainty,
that he was completely full of shit!
Bill Clinton is and was a LAWYER.

Of course he's a liar. But if you want to be president (or congressman, or governer, or fucking city mayor of any major city) you are going to also be a LAWYER and a LIAR.

That's why we need a new system. This one is crooked. But the people in power are the crooks and the people who are motivated to change it are largely powerless.

By the time those few have enough power to make the change, they have gotten there by working the system, and they no longer see a NEED to change it. It's doing fine by them, since they started to play by its rules.

that's part of our problem, electing fools without a shred of integrity.
Agreed. Perhaps the grass-roots movement should encourage everyone to check "other" and vote for "FREEDOM" or something. If millions of people did it at once it would send a message. Perhaps others would hear it.

Please consider voting yes on Prop 19. I like smoking herb and I am tired of being a criminal simply for liking it.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts