What's new

I remember

dddaver

Veteran
I was working delivering Domino's back in the late 70s to this real shit-hole house in a shitty neighborhood. As I was standing inside the door there was this huge crash on the porch behind me. I look back and some shit-faced drunk had just fallen, stumbling up the 3 or 4 stairs. The kids look out the storm door and shout, "Daddy's home!" :biggrin:

R

rbt

I remember spending hours evenings looking through a Sears & Roebuck Catalogue. Ordering all kinds of stuff and getting a call when the order came in you could park in "Catalogue Pick UP ". Watching my name and other small relatives birthday being read on Romper Rooms magic mirror of birthdays. S&H Green Stamps and MOM making me lick and paste those in those stupid books I would have rather done weeding for me it paid the same. Finding a Playboy in a barber shop and just on the pullout was a breast exposed wow. But most of all American trusted Walter Kronkite evening news and news in general. We didn't have annalists we had Gore Vidal and William F Buckley.

R

rbt

That's not true. A battalion in the US Army is between 300 and 1200 soldiers. One legion of the Roman Imperial Army, at its height, consisted of around 5000 fighting men. And there were always several legions operating at one time.

And your second statement, only 12% ever saw battle? If you're correct in that there was never more soldiers than a battalion of today (let's say 1200 to be generous), that would mean that only 144 Roman soldiers ever saw battle. And yet they conquered the Greeks, Carthaginians, Gauls, German tribes, Jews, and Persia. All with 144 men. Laughable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Roman_legions

this is very I am sorry to misstates a battalion for an Army of today which is about 150,000 to 200,000. I do believe the largest the Roman ever got with conscripts was about 400,000

LifeLess

Veteran
I was on Romper room once. My mom said i was the only kid climbing on all the tables lol. Oh the good ol days.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I remember when I actually LOOKED UP/READ UP on cannabis growing information (before cyber era) and afterward instead of being spoon fed (as so many are asking for information) that clearly IC Mag has in a multitude of forum threads.

Google is a great source.

Isn't that why there's a white box at the top here where you can enter key words on THREAD TITLE SEARCH?

Oh yeah, I'm old...or I tend to attempt looking for an answer. That's what I remember! ;o)

N

noyd666

lol, wife just said I cant find the phone charger, I said do you remember what it looks like? haha never had one.

FullyMeltedDome

Veteran
I remember when BeerBalls used to come in this white thick as Hell Plastic.And if you didn't have a Tap,you had to get a good knife to cut a hole in it,and that was a task.🍻Peace and Stay Safe,DancesWithWeed🌱🍁🍀

Runt

I was on Romper room once. My mom said i was the only kid climbing on all the tables lol. Oh the good ol days.

I just remember I was on a "clown show" with my brother! Jesus that was long ago. We had a competition of some sort with balloons and I -of course- challenged the outcome and (as they probably wanted to shut me up) it was judged "undecided". That must have been in -67 (?).

Can´t remember the name of the show though -Bozo Show maybe?

dddaver

Veteran
When I was in first or second grade, must have been '61 or '62, PBS was just getting it's start. In conjunction with the school board in a small town in central NY, a TV was put in every elementary school classroom. Well, they were put in at our school anyway. I vaguely remember going to the small TV station and or class doing a square dance.

Then in '63 when Kennedy was shot, the teacher turned on the TV and went out in the hall so the kids wouldn't see her cry. I still remember a kid named Gary Fox chanting over and over, "Kennedy's dead in the head".

Kennedy was loved by so many people. My Dad used to borrow this big reel-to-reel tape recorder from his work at an insurance office. Then he and mom, the family, and a friend of his and that guy's wife and kid, would all sit around it on Friday night listening to Kennedy's press conferences and laughing while the adults smoked cigarettes and got drunk.

Puffin13

Lifetime Supporter
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just remember I was on a "clown show" with my brother! Jesus that was long ago. We had a competition of some sort with balloons and I -of course- challenged the outcome and (as they probably wanted to shut me up) it was judged "undecided". That must have been in -67 (?).

Can´t remember the name of the show though -Bozo Show maybe?

Maybe it was The Howdy Doody Show with Clarabelle. :)

Runt

It was in the Bay area where I grew up before we moved back to the "old country" in -71. The Bozo Show seems to have been Chicago based. I remember the Howdy Doody Show but I don´t think that was it. My mom´s passed, and so has my brother, so no one left to check with.