What's new

I remember

Blueshark

I remember... Buying rolls of paper "caps" for our 6-shooters.... Building Go-Karts from anything we could find and ramming them together head on. One would drive/steer and the other would push as hard as they could... WHAM!! first kart to become non-functional lost....Catching crawdads in the creek... You couldn't keep us inside!! Kids these days have no clue how to have Real fun!!

Last edited:

Mr.Miner

Chestnut fights, paper caps (I can smell that burnt, flinty smell right now), building go-carts...man you guys just took me down memory lane. I am only a week shy of 44 but I remember all of that stuff distinctly.
I also remember playing the first Pong game at the community center. It was like an alien invaded Earth. Grabbed a sub or some slices afterwards and walked on back home. Yes, we walked.

Runt

We walked and rode bikes, my mom would never drive me to school or anything and if she would have I would have been classed "a fruit". We didn´t have cellphones of course and that just added to the freedom, if I chose to be late I paid the price but I think it was worth it.

I remember the distinct sense of freedom lying in the bottom of my rowboat fishing. I´d bring two orange Fantas, some cigarettes, a pole and a book and I´d be gone most of the day just drifting around. Never jacked off in the boat :) :) :) :)

Hermanthegerman

Pure Vernunft darf niemals siegen
Veteran
I remember, better think about it, that we boys, always playing outside, summer and winter, automaticly did what our ancestors did. Take a stone or a stick of wood and stray around like in the stoneage in groups. Check our territorys, sometimes conquer new territorys, battle a little bit with other groups, tested our courage.

dddaver

Veteran
Does anybody remember "chill blanes"? I would be out playing hockey till I couldn't feel my feet. But not paying any attention because we were having such a blast. Then thinking, "Oh shit". Because I knew what was coming, the excruciating pain of thawing out my feet. Still worth it though.

Perpetual Nooch

Does anybody remember "chill blanes"? I would be out playing hockey till I couldn't feel my feet. But not paying any attention because we were having such a blast. Then thinking, "Oh shit". Because I knew what was coming, the excruciating pain of thawing out my feet. Still worth it though.

Yep.

Sadly, where I am they've pretty much stopped building outdoor rinks in schoolyards. With the constant freeze and thaw cycles they're impossible to maintain.

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
I remember experimenting with electric fences...sorta :bis:

c7dc63df65ec148f8c20cf5fc8647933.gif

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I remember experimenting with electric fences...sorta :bis:

View Image

Good thing he wasn't stupid enough to piss on the wire!:biggrin:

I remember many years ago, a couple students at William and Mary College, hid a car battery and a booster coil in a toilet stall in one of the dormitory's men's rooms.
They ran one small wire into one of the urinals beside the toilet stall and the other wire to a puddle of water they poured in front of the urinal.

Umm,,, the practical joke worked....:biggrin::biggrin:

dddaver

Veteran
A group of us were parked on "Ghost Road" getting toasted and my friend Mark pissed on an electric fence. Crazy idiot. Someone said they saw sparks coming from under his feet. I never saw anything because I was doubled over in laughter. I doubted it really anyway. I didn't hear him scream.

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
I remember...

I remember...

Summer Time: 1955, age 6

Walk out of a movie theater afternoon matinee, frozen...
..I think they kept the temperature at 62 degrees :D..my first experience with A/C :chin:

R

rbt

I was always into old things as a kid. The relics of the past looked pretty cool to me in the 1950s. I spent a lot of time talking to old people, people in their 70s and 80s. I could talk to them for hours about what it was like growing up in the 1800s. They all had cool stories. While they missed their youth, none of them missed the 1800s. Living was very hard in their youth and they all had lost family members to disease or accidents. While they all appreciated my interest they probably thought I was nuts to want to have lived in the 1800s.:biggrin:

My grandmother would talk about disease and flu's. The influenza epidemic of 1926 killed 125,000 in a short 2 months. My Grandmother remembers when party lines came for her 1930's but for 65% of Texas it was the 1960's.

In that party line and before the small pox epidemic and polio. Grandma would talk about preparing a dinner to take to a family that was stricken with the pox. They would ride in the wagon to deliver the dinner. Out front a ways the Sheriff and the county medical director would put up a quarantine sign along with a bell. The whole way praying there was an empty Dutch oven to be exchanged. If their wasn't then they would contact the Sheriff he came and buried the members and set fire to the home with all belongings inside.
We do live in a different time when you figure the Roman army was never bigger than a Battalion of today. and the average Roman soldier was 5'0" tall. Over the period of the Roman Empire only 12% of Roman Soldiers ever saw battle.
I ponder all this shit as I drive across the Mojave Desert @ 80mph controlling my environment to a temp that is comfortable. going back and forth between Sirus Radio and phone while once in a while glancing at my GPS to see estimated time and distance. Being annoyed for losing seconds for freeway ramp closures or people older than me driving and getting to be less of them too.

R

rbt

I remember buying kilos of Mexican dirt weed for $40.00 from thee Vaquero's or Spanish for Cowboy. He doubled his cost the border at that time on the Indian res and BLM land was as open as far as anyone could see. If driving you would stop the pickup you were driving and people walking would jump in the back whoever they were didn't matter sometimes not a word exchanged. just got out when you turned off or at the next town.

Perpetual Nooch

We do live in a different time when you figure the Roman army was never bigger than a Battalion of today. and the average Roman soldier was 5'0" tall. Over the period of the Roman Empire only 12% of Roman Soldiers ever saw battle.

That's not true. A battalion in the US Army is between 300 and 1200 soldiers. One legion of the Roman Imperial Army, at its height, consisted of around 5000 fighting men. And there were always several legions operating at one time.

And your second statement, only 12% ever saw battle? If you're correct in that there was never more soldiers than a battalion of today (let's say 1200 to be generous), that would mean that only 144 Roman soldiers ever saw battle. And yet they conquered the Greeks, Carthaginians, Gauls, German tribes, Jews, and Persia. All with 144 men. Laughable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Roman_legions

LowFalutin

Stems Analyst
Veteran
Drive-in movies, w/crappy window-mount speakers,
and that hotdog that jumps into the bun
during intermission
hqdefault.jpg

Blueshark

I remember my Dad brining home spagetti take-out home one night in the mid-60's. I'm eating and Mom got mad at Dad for some reason... Next thing I know, she throws her plate on the floor in front of the sink and Dad explodes! He took his plate (full of spagetti) and wings it at the sink splattering half the wall with sauce. He threw it so hard that he dislocated his shoulder and we had to go to the hospital to get it put back in socket...... SO, I try ever so hard to not get angry. David Gilmour's lyrics.... "I don't want this Anger burning in me. It's something from which it's so hard to be free. And none of the tears that you cry in Sorrow or Rage, will make any difference or turn back the page..."

Hank Hemp

Veteran
Hey Shark, we don't want to start on the old man coming home drunk to his Southern Baptist wife stories. I got about 15 or 20 good ones that I can remember off the top of my head.