What's new

I remember when,.......

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
The first time (Sep 67) I smoked Hash; some Iranian exchange students had gotten a CARE package from home, with about a pound of HASH in it. I had done some small favor for them about a week earlier. They invited me over.

That's when I learned I don't like Brass Hash pipes!..but the hash was good.

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
when a scoop of icecream was 20p (Pfennig) in Germany, that was 0,2 "deutsche Mark" (curency before the euro) and every evening in summer there would be a man in volkswagen bully ice cream truck ringing a bell in the street and everyone would flock there to get icecream.

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
I remember having to choose between "Betamax" or VHS when I purchased my first VCR.

Having to migrate from 4 track to 8 track...then going quadraphonic 8 track--before buying my first cassette player.

LOL, I even had a 8 track recorder to make my own "music mix" tapes. Of course those were the days when we went to concerts with a portable reel to reel tape machine to record concerts groups...like the Dead. Bootleg tapes is what we called them...and I sold them to record stores for $2-3 each--usually 6 at a time. Bootlegs were always in white cartridges...while the "real ones" were usually in black cartridges.

I remember when: my parents had to wait in line on odd or even license plate number days to get gas.

When no one wore seatbelts

When it was ok for dad to drive tipsy

When it was ok for kids to play miles from home in the bay area.

When all weed had seeds

First time i smoked columbian gold

First time i smoked humbolt flowers!

When all weed quit haveing seeds in it!

My favorite when i stoped needing to buy weed...

Stonehedge out!:tiphat:

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I remember when there wasnt a camera on every corner, in every store and every bank... not that I'm a criminal.... well, i hope not in you'alls eyes anyway...:biggrin:

przcvctm

This is sort of a subconscious remembering, I guess. Has anyone else been driving with the driver's side window down and reached down for the handle to roll it back up when you've not driven a car without power widows for decades?

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I remember when there was 4 farthings to a penny, 12 penny's to a shilling, and 20 shillings to a pound.

That's before decimalization, so if you also remember it, you must be at least into your 50s, because it was back in February 1971, 47 years ago, that Britain "went decimal" and hundreds of years of everyday currency was turned into history overnight.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
This is sort of a subconscious remembering, I guess. Has anyone else been driving with the driver's side window down and reached down for the handle to roll it back up when you've not driven a car without power widows for decades?

been there, done that. more embarrassing to try to push the clutch in to shift gears before remembering that you are in your wifes car with an automatic transmission..."SCREEEECH!" ooops...:laughing: (hides face in shame)

Andyo

Veteran
Half crown

Half crown

I remember when there was 4 farthings to a penny, 12 penny's to a shilling, and 20 shillings to a pound.

That's before decimalization, so if you also remember it, you must be at least into your 50s, because it was back in February 1971, 47 years ago, that Britain "went decimal" and hundreds of years of everyday currency was turned into history overnight.

I remember half crown coin 2 shillings and 6 pennys value
I only once saw a whole crown = 5 bob

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
My first computer was a Commodore 64 with cassette tape, my second computer was an Apple II with a pair of 5 1/4" floppy disks, and my third computer was an IBM CP/M operating system that had both 5 1/4" and 8" floppy disk drives...and I was styling!

Has anyone beside me--wrote machine-code programming for 8088 microprocessors?

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
My first computer..

My first computer..

My first computer was a Commodore 64 with cassette tape, my second computer was an Apple II with a pair of 5 1/4" floppy disks, and my third computer was an IBM CP/M operating system that had both 5 1/4" and 8" floppy disk drives...and I was styling!

Has anyone beside me--wrote machine-code programming for 8088 microprocessors?

My first computer was a Kit from MIT. My soon to be brother and law gave me a little kit computer with a small motherboard and with a phone in my ear I got the keyboard and monitor working. It didn't do much, I think it had an 8000 series CPU.

So.... I started writing machine code as that was all there was.

I loved the Wild West computer days, you had to think everything up yourself.

:party:

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Texas Instruments were the up and coming better than sliced bread technology. How far we've advanced since then....