What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I love the hottest peppers!

HorseBadoritiz

I dropped all types of seeds in a tray covered it with a dome and put it on top of my t5's. The next morning it was super humid in the dome.

View Image

I plan on giving them about 3 weeks for stuff to pop up. Am I being too unrealistic?

This is the hot sauce company that was the source of the peppers. So if you wanna try some real hot sauce, these dudes are legit...

View Image

View Image

Unless you have had good luck with the dome, I'd lose it.

Too much of a chance for damping off for me... it's why I quit using one.

That looks like some hot hot sauce... is it fermented?

E

ESTERCHASER

i put a pepper start on my dryer for a couple days........could these badboys enjoy a gentle dryer rocking back and forth?

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Big gap between May and August, so not exactly sure what you mean there.

What super hots do you grow that germinate in 5 days is the real question?

Fresher the seed, faster the germination in my experience. Seeds I've purchased from others tend not to germinate as quickly. Seeds I've kept from isolation projects of various lines for preservation, seem to germinate MUCH faster, regardless the super hot variety. 5-8 days, not being uncommon, although seeds from the very same pepper, in the same conditions, might still take 6 weeks to surface, even though some siblings sprouted early.

Pepper seed germination rates seem to really start dropping after 3 years and suffer much more after 5. You notice the age when you start a few hundred seeds across 15-20 varieties, and you realize you haven't grown that type for a couple years and your rates are 20-30% less than other yearly grown and perpetuated lines.

As far as the May - August comment, not sure how I lost you, but I'll try again.

annum: germination is 6-14 days. Reach maturity in 60-80 days.

chinense- germination is 30-45 days. Reach maturity in 140-180 days.

If you start these seeds at the same time in the spring, you won't have super hots plants mature enough to set flowers until August. If you start super hots in the winter, and plant them very near to reproductive maturity, your first flower set will happen in late May.

It's the difference between one harvest or 3 harvests in a season.

Wasn't intending to tell you anything you didn't know in prior response. You stated farmers in your area struggled germinating them. In my opinion, most people just lack the patience and don't wait long enough. :tiphat:

dank.Frank

G.O. Joe

Veteran
my father in law would plant some regular matches a couple/few inches under the plants when putting in his garden - not sure whats inside a match to aid in growing- but he swore by it..

You wouldn't want the chemical part, because half the weight of match heads is potassium chlorate. Chlorate is a non-selective herbicide. The cellulose part may be impregnated with ammonium phosphate to modify the burn rate.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
You wouldn't want the chemical part, because half the weight of match heads is potassium chlorate. Chlorate is a non-selective herbicide. The cellulose part may be impregnated with ammonium phosphate to modify the burn rate.

i have never put matches in the soil in my garden, but my father inlaw sure did...

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
dank... do u ever over winter plants inside?? - i am overwintering my 5 reapers, 2 japeno's , 1 lemon hot, fatelli , n another pepper which i dont know as i lost the id stick 2yrs ago- n what do u think of root trimming, adding new soil, n ofcourse the tops are always trimmed back in the winter... dont wanta kill a reaper, so will try it on one, as long as i get a postive reply or two...otherwise, i'll just transplant into a larger pot... but they r already in 5gallon pots... hence the idea of trimming the roots..thanks

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Same process as doing a bonsai mom for canna. Trim back, leave some green foliage. Chop roots. Replant in fresh soil. Place under 24 hour light and don't over water. Green numbs will appear as long as their was enough green leaf matter left on the plant to allow it to establish new roots.

I find the hardest part of over wintering is not getting aphids and not keeping them too wet in a much slower growth phase. Though, I've always just kept them casually - never really with much intent. Meaning, they don't get their own lighting, etc.

I only over winter a plant that happened to be unique in some way that I want to isolate the next season for seed collection.

dank.Frank

HorseBadoritiz

Depends on who you ask.

Troy Primo - 7 Pot Primo - is very very likely, to be the original, and Ed Currie at Puckerbutt just got a hold of his work in early 2005, rebranded it, and became famous.

Seems like that happens a lot in botanical circles - not just cannabis.

dank.Frank
I'm still wondering where your facts came from in this comment?

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No, facts, but a lot of broad speculation by a very large segment of the pepper industry. I'm on the fence but it deserves to be entered into the conversation.

dank.Frank

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
Unless you have had good luck with the dome, I'd lose it.

Too much of a chance for damping off for me... it's why I quit using one.

That looks like some hot hot sauce... is it fermented?

Not sure if the sauce is fermented or not

I usually dont have issues with the domes, but I did have some damping off recently when it was way too humid in there. I'm pretty much wiping out the dome with paper towels every morning, so it's not rainstorm conditions in there.

So far so good but I'm ready to crack the vents or toss it completely if I need to. I'm trying out these co2 pads that go in the domes so I kinda signed up for the dome for these.

The basil didnt even need a full 24 hours before it started pushing through.

picture.php

picture.php

Picked up some more chocolate scorpions and a type of ghost that I cant remember the name of....

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Jerk chicken tonight...

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
I think they sold me some bunk scotch bonnet seeds. They all are deformed where one leaf is bigger tha the other at each node...

Latest posts

Latest posts