What's new

I love the hottest peppers!

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
well I got a small garden finally..nothing too hot tho .. habaneros ,chilis and jalapenos...next year I will do some b huts and some real hot stuff.i started too late for seeds and only could. buy whatever plants were local here...yeehaw

Feel free to hit a nigga up. Classified as open pollinated, each flower was fertilized individually, but I put no effort into isolation, so there may be a few randoms.

Finally hardening the "overwinters" off outdoors. Nights are above 10c on average now, and the weather is "supposed" to stay overcast. With any luck I won't be hiding them in the shade every few hours.

Using a brush to expose the roots on one made for a nice giant bonsai look, I'll throw pics up later when I dust off the POS camera.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
God damn I hate uploading or posting on a tablet. Let's try this once more...

Later turned out to be two weeks.

20150525_093012.jpg

The centre (yes, that is a word, Autocorrect) mass was a tangle of feeder roots I've gradually pruned away. Slowly exposing hardens them off, quickly weakens them for pruning.

20150525_093054.jpg

The three girls from last year, two lost 1/4 to 1/3 of their foliage to sunburn. Douglah, Trinidad Scorpion and what I believe to be a Chocolate Fatalii. There were a lot of overcast days broken up throughout the day with hard sun and after a little over a week I thought they were fine. Wrong..

Planted out the other day in a spare area that gets decent sun. Formerly covered in mulch, below that several layers of carpet and subfloor. Below that 10kg rocks and chunks of concrete. Solid clay 12 to 15 inches down. Removed all this garbage and amended with compost/recycled soil. Interested to see how they do in a new bed. The original "topsoil" was very dense, a week after amending it has lightened up and is rolling with worms. Need to track down a few plants for clay breaking duty once these are uprooted in Sept/Oct.

Also realized the drenching that followed two very dry periods (out of town) was insufficient to rewet the rootballs. Explains the piss poor performance in the flowering tent, and odd feel to the pot weight (top heavy). Going to work up a barrel for dunking.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
update...

our reapers have a few tiny/little peppers, n a lots of flowers...

our ghost which we overwintered in our greenhouse room, has exploded with 30/40 peppers, some ready for picking, except still green, tested one in some chile...yep its hot, but still has a ways to go...

Trinidad scorp's are at a similar stage as the reapers...

cayennes must mature faster as have loads of green peppers, tho none turning yet..

yellow hots also coming on like gangbusters...

I 4got to start my jalepenos's... so i'll have to buy at the market..

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
is there a chance of cross pollination between different peppers??I am guessing any of em could cross pollinate..in one bed I have green and yellow peppers,anaheim chili pepper,jalapeno pepper and scotch bonnet peppers..would be cool if the scotch bonnet crossed with the green and yellow or the chili.. yeehaw..

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bit of an update.

Top view, fatalii
20150802_070839.jpg

Under her skirt/bush shot
20150802_070820.jpg

The best of the three. Set many peppers and while growth is not optimal she putters along. The peppers almost caused a few limbs to snap, some of the droopers are severely twisted. Proper pruning before plant out next year.

Douglah
20150802_065428.jpg

Yellowing, cupping leaves. Calcium deficiency seems less pronounced since top dressing gypsum last month. Set no peppers initially, but I did notice a few since I've been home for a day or two. Producing pollen now so I hope to see more set before I leave.

Morouga
20150802_065440.jpg

Yellowing, cupping, still dropping leaves. Shows more Ca Def than the Doug. One pepper set initially. I haven't crawled over it yet but there don't appear to be new pods. Producing pollen but flowers are still dropping.

Not entirely sure what the issues are. Thrips can cause cupping from what I understand and I'm waiting on a bottle of Spinosad to sneak over the border. I spotted a larvae before I left but had no time to deal with it. The healthier plant makes me think what is in the soil is sufficient re: no actual deficiency (leading to the thought the two others have a root issue). Applying alfalfa tea, castings slurry and an all purpose top dressing while I'm home. Epsom will find its way in there somewhere.

re: a comment from Apache made me realize I hadn't typed out a few things/created confusion.

General yellowing is lack of nitrogen. I top dressed alfalfa and fed a light alfalfa slurry tea before leaving but used too light a hand.

The bubbling surface on the leaves is early stage calicum deficiency. Cupping and distorted growth of new growth follows. Same deal with gypsum as alfalfa, too little too late.

That's my take at least. First time growing directly in soil and hitting the standard stumbling blocks. Did find it odd that there were few specific recommendations for top dressing, usually I'm dealing with too rich a soil re: diy. Maybe my Google-fu is weak hehe. The season is winding down already but I've learned a bit for next year.

The Douglah is my favourite (not stupid hot but knocks a hab out of the park). Disappointed it has not produced, but that fail lies on me not the plant.

Working in camp now. Instead of disappearing for a week at a time randomly (and having everything semi-die), it's a more set schedule of three weeks at a time. Setting up blumats is on the roster. Need to find a new garden tender as well. The last one let everything dry out severely (that's my job, woman!). The peppers live off rain for the most part.

Going to scrap hound together a bed or two at the community garden. It fits with this semi transient life (lot of douchebaggery in that statement). The house here has no space and I'm moving soon to another no-outside-garden place. Stoked to fill them up with garlic over the winter.

That's a lot of words. TLDR: one did well two did not.

dociron

Bit of an update.

Top view, fatalii
View Image

Under her skirt/bush shot
View Image

The best of the three. Set many peppers and while growth is not optimal she putters along. The peppers almost caused a few limbs to snap, some of the droopers are severely twisted. Proper pruning before plant out next year.

Douglah
View Image

Yellowing, cupping leaves. Calcium deficiency seems less pronounced since top dressing gypsum last month. Set no peppers initially, but I did notice a few since I've been home for a day or two. Producing pollen now so I hope to see more set before I leave.

Morouga
View Image
Yellowing, cupping, still dropping leaves. Shows more Ca Def than the Doug. One pepper set initially. I haven't crawled over it yet but there don't appear to be new pods. Producing pollen but flowers are still dropping.

Not entirely sure what the issues are. Thrips can cause cupping from what I understand and I'm waiting on a bottle of Spinosad to sneak over the border. I spotted a larvae before I left but had no time to deal with it. The healthier plant makes me think what is in the soil is sufficient re: no actual deficiency (leading to the thought the two others have a root issue). Applying alfalfa tea, castings slurry and an all purpose top dressing while I'm home. Epsom will find its way in there somewhere.

The Douglah is my favourite (not stupid hot but knocks a hab out of the park). Disappointed it has not produced, but that fail lies on me not the plant.

Working in camp now. Instead of disappearing for a week at a time randomly (and having everything semi-die), it's a more set schedule of three weeks at a time. Setting up blumats is on the roster. Need to find a new garden tender as well. The last one let everything dry out severely (that's my job, woman!). The peppers live off rain for the most part.

Going to scrap hound together a bed or two at the community garden. It fits with this semi transient life (lot of douchebaggery in that statement). The house here has no space and I'm moving soon to another no-outside-garden place. Stoked to fill them up with garlic over the winter.

That's a lot of words. TLDR: one did well two did not.

As far as the Marouga goes, I gave plants and seeds to several growers last year, I also grew them, we ALL had the same issues you describe here. All of us are experienced with chilis, and all of us say, never again. One fellow with a lifetime of chilis, got 3 from one plant, he did the Best of all of us.

snake11

is there a chance of cross pollination between different peppers??I am guessing any of em could cross pollinate..in one bed I have green and yellow peppers,anaheim chili pepper,jalapeno pepper and scotch bonnet peppers..would be cool if the scotch bonnet crossed with the green and yellow or the chili.. yeehaw..

Yes peppers cross pollinate very easy. If you are trying to keep seeds make sure to keep your peppers segregated.

snake11

So while everyone was sleeping, I was up around 2am canning these.

View Image
View Image

Looks good!! I did a vineager vegetable jar last week. Mine had several kinds of peppers(jalapeños, Cajun bell peppers, Anaheims, cayenne, sweets, nardelos, big beartha bell, and purple beauty bells) as well as cauliflower, garlic, and carrots. I am excited!! I love vineager peppers!!

ShortStackz

Looks good!! I did a vineager vegetable jar last week. Mine had several kinds of peppers(jalapeños, Cajun bell peppers, Anaheims, cayenne, sweets, nardelos, big beartha bell, and purple beauty bells) as well as cauliflower, garlic, and carrots. I am excited!! I love vineager peppers!!

Sounds tasty. Mainly keeping these super hots for makin bbq sauces during the cold season & maybe some salsas. I wanted to add a bunch of veggies like yours so they can pick up all the hotness but didn't have anytime to go shopping.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran

I've got the mason jars, peppers (reapers,ghosts,cayenne,yellow hot, and carrot), garlic,carrots... how do I prepare em to put in jars...

snake11

I've got the mason jars, peppers (reapers,ghosts,cayenne,yellow hot, and carrot), garlic,carrots... how do I prepare em to put in jars...

Some people like to ferment peppers or can them. If they are canned its best to leave them on the shelf marinating for at least six months. For me I just do one large refrigerated jar. I used a 1 gallon jar with a plastic lid(as others have said the acidity will eat the metal lids). Clean and sanitize the jar well but make sure all the soap ect is out. Wash everything well and discard any damaged or diseased. Slice up veggies like carrots, cauliflower, and add to the jar. I peeled and added a clove of garlic. Big peppers like bell peppers should be cut in to strips with seeds and the inner white part discarded. Smaller peppers and hot peppers should have a slit cut in both sides so the vinegar can fill the inside. After all of the veggies are in boil a gallon on white vinegar. Pour it into the jar filling it to the top making sure all veggies are submerged . After it has cooled enough place the jar in the fridge. Some people leave them out on the table and do not worry about them going bad due to the acidity. Especially with garlic I would rather be safe. Mine goes in the fridge. I constantly eat out of it and use the liquid as hot sauce. When the vinegar or pepper level gets low just add more veggies or vinegar.

Almost forgot, I add a little salt in to the mix.

Last edited:

HorseBadoritiz

Fataliis, They are not rotten on the inside this year... I gave them extra aragonite.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Yellow 7 Pots

picture.php

picture.php

I've only been growing hot peppers for a short time, but all these peppers started out with really big leaves, then suddenly changed to leaves 1/10 of the size, is that normal?

I gave all my stupid hots to my son. Nagas, Butch T's, Carolina Reapers... deer just ate everything... I'm setting up a stand... peppered venison, LOL!

Apache Kush

yeah now that you mention it the leaves do start large and then get smaller imo,

so yea i concur on

has to be them putting the energy into making the fruit cell walls etc.

i like your recipe for extra (ca)

HorseBadoritiz

1st flush!

picture.php

De-seeded the earliest and biggest... had to turn on all the fans and leave the house for a while... and these aren't even the real hot ones!

picture.php

The 1st time I've ever seen a hornworm on a pepper, I hope I don't see it again either, LOL!

picture.php

Some of the fermented sauce. Just hot enough and no bitterness... really good batch.

picture.php

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
1st flush!

View Image

De-seeded the earliest and biggest... had to turn on all the fans and leave the house for a while... and these aren't even the real hot ones!

View Image

The 1st time I've ever seen a hornworm on a pepper, I hope I don't see it again either, LOL!

View Image

Some of the fermented sauce. Just hot enough and no bitterness... really good batch.

View Image

how did u make the sauce??

Latest posts

Latest posts