What's new

I love the hottest peppers!

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I think frank is talking about melting point. the boiling point seems to be much higher.

Melting point = 65 deg. Celsius

Boiling Point = 210 deg. Celsius

later.edit: And I feel you need to get over that melting point if you want to extract most of the heat in the peppers.. Isn't it?
later.edit2: Aroma comes from other compounds, not capsacin, and it is lost earlier on the heat scale, just like there are some terpenoids in cannabis that have low boiling points, even room temperature, the aromatic compounds in the pepper vaporize before the capsacin.

As about the oil.. To be safe from developing botulism, it should be kept in a fridge for up to about 3 weeks. But oil solidifies at that temperature, so it's not practical. At least. not if you want liquid oil at a moment notice.

Last edited:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes.

Perhaps I'll try higher temps on some canola oil and see if I don't get a hotter oil infusion.

It's funny I added such information to my post...and in the mean time you guys were already stating the same things... ;) I love a knowledgeable and intelligent group of people. :respect:

dank.Frank

Betterhaff

Veteran
When I make chili, a lot of times I cook it over the course of a couple of days. Peppers included. I’m sure I lose some of the pepper flavorings but they are just a part of the concoction. Anyway it usually tastes pretty good and no batch ever seems to be identical…that’s part of the fun.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Just as a warning, submerging peppers in oil "might" just create the best medium for botulism toxin to thrive. Using a heated food dehydrator will help with having better changes of survival (you can die from botulism!!!)..

yep that's what scares me (botulism)... what do the rest's. put in their oil to keep it from killing their patrons??..

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I think they buy their oil ready-made. For home use, using apropiate salt or acidity levels is recommended. Also, fully drying the peppers is the most important thing to do.
There are food preservatives that prevent the growth of botulism spores. (spores are not a problem, their excretions is the toxin that kills.) That is why it is recommended to keep the oils up to 3 weeks in the fridge, cause not enaugh spores can grow to make the oil toxic.
I don't know what preservatives are used, but i have some bought oils in my kitchen, will try to post the preservatives they contain. Google hasn't helped me with reserch on what preservative to use, but most of them are used in parts per million concentration, so it's not something you could do at home.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
I think the 'safest' way is to cut up a pepper n put it in the oil b4 meal n stir it around a bit... certainly wont be infused, but you will get the hot pepper taste, n it wont kill u..

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
i got a better option. grow peppers like tabasco that have liquid in them when ripe. like some kind of very hot oil. just put 1-2 peppers in a bowl with a tablespoon of olive oil and crush them with the back of the spoon.
you got instant infused olive oil.
you could also use dried pepper flakes, but it would need about 10 minutes to infuse.
another option that can be used in sauces is making hot vinegar. vinegar acidity makes it safe, and it also extract very much hotness out of the peppers over time. just half of teaspoon of this infused vinegar is enaugh to make a very hot 4 person size pizza sauce bowl. adding some flakes to that sauce will make it rise in hotness over time.. a nice trick. :)

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They're not sensitive to photoperiod, but will start to flower at a determinate size/stage of growth.

s13sr20det

admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof.
Veteran
some peach and chocolate habaneros in 1gal rootmaker pots

picture.php

keep it green B)

BillFarthing

Veteran
I'll raise you a 3-year old bonsai Butch Scorpion.

y9eHi3J.jpg

I just throw it old nutrient solution and trim it every once in a while in front of a window. It throws marble sized peppers or I can take clones off of it at any time.

rod58

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Did you ever taste them? I like peppers too, but the taste of the bhuts has nothing to do with spicy!! It is not even a taste, but pure pain (remembering the first time i tasted my indoorgrown Bhuts, i´m still crying).

Edit: Wear at least handgloves, better glasses too, when you handle the Bhuts fruits.

haaaa..i agree , their not all that tasty , just fecking hot . not that i mind hot but i like to enjoy what i'm eating ..i've since been growing one called monkey face and its one of the tastiest i've tried plus it has a fair bit of heat ...
:gday:

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
haaaa..i agree , their not all that tasty , just fecking hot . not that i mind hot but i like to enjoy what i'm eating ..i've since been growing one called monkey face and its one of the tastiest i've tried plus it has a fair bit of heat ...
:gday:

I AGREEEE... I want 'hot' but with taste.. I'm growing ghosts,trinidad scorp's n new this season Carolina reapers... u ask why???... I don't have a clue... I wont eat em, but they are conversation pieces...haha.. monkey face seem like something I'd like.. where u get em??

ShortStackz

Just got my carolina reaper, butch T & white 7 pot in today. Plan on ordering a few more next week along with some tomatoes. Doing them all coco this year

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Just got my carolina reaper, butch T & white 7 pot in today. Plan on ordering a few more next week along with some tomatoes. Doing them all coco this year

I sowed my 4 reapers about 1month ago... 3 are up , about 1'' tall, rge 4th is breaking ground... they are indeed very slow growing...

when i grew bhuts they had a fuel thing goin on but not in a good way.this year im growin anchos,cayenne,black czech,jalapenos,hungarian paprika,and prob more when i find some room.ill have t buy the late ones that list is whats started already.

Latest posts

Latest posts