What's new

I just fought a fire in my house

BudGood

"Be shapeless, formless, like water..."
Veteran
I'm sitting here shaking, covered in soot, and the skin on my neck & shoulder is bubbling & falling off. But I'm alive, and everything is ok now. I don't know how this happened, I'm sitting here in shock. I didn't call the fire department, and I don't know if I want/need to, the fire is out now.

I heard something in the hallway fall, I walked in there, picked up the piece of plaster on the floor that had fell, then the ceiling fell on me. Theres a hole about 4 foot or so big in the ceiling. I'm full of painkillers and still in excruciating pain, my skin is falling off from my neck and shoulder area, in addition to the bruising from the ceiling falling on me. I know I should go to the hospital, but I don't want to, at least not right now.

I'm not sure what caused it, but I suspect an ember from the fireplace or electrical (old knob and tube style wiring, been waiting to get the $$$ to rewire the house.). I smelled a smokey smell a few hours ago, not very strongly at all tho, (I thought the smell was backdraft from the fireplace, it does make the house smell like smoke occasionally from backdrafting) it didn't set off the smoke alarms til the ceiling in the hallway fell on me, burning the shit out of my neck and my shoulder. I tore off my shirt, ran outside, grabbed the hose, came back in, and started spraying. It was right next to the attic ladder, I dropped it down and climbed up, the whole attic was filled with smoke. I then realized theres no smoke detector in the attic, which if there were it probably wouldn't have got as bad as it did.

Like I said, I didn't call the fire department, I reacted and put it out, so I don't know if I should. Will it be necessary for homeowners insurance?

I'm a med patient and a caregiver, but with clones, moms and flowers I'm definitely over the state guidelines (3 veg, 3 flower, that wouldn't support mine or my patients needs). The grow is in my basement, so I'm putting EVERYTHING down there, just in case. I'll just lock the door, the fire happened in the attic, why would anybody (firemen, policement, insurance adjusters) need to go down there anyway?

Right now I'm just trying to look at the positive side of things, I got it out really quickly, if I wouldn't have been home my house would've burned to the ground with my dog in it. My dog is OK, my son is OK, I'm burned, but the painkillers are kicking in a little bit. I'm glad it was me that got hurt and not my boys, I would never forgive myself if anything happened to my boys.

I don't even know why I'm posting this, other than I consider you all my family, and maybe to warn you all, make sure to keep a full size ABC extinguisher (for all kinds of fires), I had a dinky little thing that didn't do anything. If you don't have one there, install a smoke detector in the attic, this could've been averted mostly if there'd have been one in the attic.

I'm about to go start cleaning up, theres wet black shit everywhere, and I'm full of soot. My son is keeping my dog calm and chilling on the couch with him in the living room, I just finished smoking to try & calm down a bit, ain't working, my heart is still racing with adrenaline, and I'm kinda numb, in shock. Anyhow, thats my tale of sorrow. :fsu: :badday: :badday: :badday: :badday:

EDIT: Things are doing GREAT now! See some of the last posts. :wave:

I

icmag.is.#1

damn man i dont know what to tell you... You might wanna keep an eye on the neck for infection

oh and MAKE SURE all the embers are out

T

TrichyTrichy

You have excellent survival skills. Compose yourself for those around you-they will chill when they see papa has it under control.
You are so very lucky.

Kiffen

I would asses the source of the burn, extinguish any remaining hot areas, better to have water damage than a burned down house. If you think its electrical I would kill all the breakers before going to the ER. Then I would get to a ER if the burns are that bad. Serious burns are no joke. As someone who has been to the ER a few times in the last year, I would advocate getting someone to take you or taking a taxi.

Tripsick

Experienced?
Veteran
glad your ok, fire can take a room in just a few seconds.

not sure if you need to contact the fire department in order for the insurance company to pay..
then again you never know with the economy and what not they may think arisen..
i know i wrecked a car and no cops were involved and the insurance company paid without question.

did it damage your roof or any of the supports? smoke can do a lot of damage.

like others said go to the ER. i think they have like a liquid skin that can help with burns to a point at least.

Lord Doobie

why would anybody (firemen, policement, insurance adjusters) need to go down there anyway?
to check circuit breakers, shut off gas lines, all kinds of stuff...especially if you're not sure what caused it
sounds like you've got it under control now
add smoke detectors for early notice

at the hospital, they always ask what happened and if it's illegal, they send out cops to make sure others aren't in danger...I suppose you could just tell them it's under investigation

some guy was in agony when he popped my radiator cap off and suffered scalding burns...I warned him not to relase the cap and dove out of the way in the nick of time

BudGood

"Be shapeless, formless, like water..."
Veteran
damn man i dont know what to tell you... You might wanna keep an eye on the neck for infection

oh and MAKE SURE all the embers are out

I sprayed it with the hose for a looong time, and inhaled shitloads of smoke in the process. The pain is subsiding. Thanks man.

You have excellent survival skills. Compose yourself for those around you-they will chill when they see papa has it under control.
You are so very lucky.

Yeah, both of my boys were scared, my son was freaking out for a bit, once I got it under control I went and sat them down and hugged them for a while, they're fine now. I'm just glad nothing happened to them, they're the most important thing to me, nothing else matters. Thank you Trichy!

GO TO THE HOSPITAL

I'm going to go tomorrow, I don't want to leave and the house go up in flames. It hurts like a mother, I will go, just not tonight. Thanks for your concern.

Get well soon! Better see a doctor. Hope everything will be ok. :wave:

I will bro, thank you!

I would asses the source of the burn, extinguish any remaining hot areas, better to have water damage than a burned down house. If you think its electrical I would kill all the breakers before going to the ER. Then I would get to a ER if the burns are that bad. Serious burns are no joke. As someone who has been to the ER a few times in the last year, I would advocate getting someone to take you or taking a taxi.

I sprayed the shit out of it, theres water everywhere, I agree with the water damage thing. I killed the breakers for the wires that are running there (lighting), I couldn't go see if theres a hole or bricks missing in the chimney, but I ain't running a fire, haven't since last night, so I'm suspecting electrical. Like I said, I will go in, but tonight I'll make sure it doesn't reignite and completely clean everything related to growing, put it all in the basement. Thanks man!

glad your ok, fire can take a room in just a few seconds.

not sure if you need to contact the fire department in order for them to pay..
then again you never know. I would want someone to make sure it was all out. and i would get to the ER.
i know i wrecked a car and no cops involved and the insurance company paid.
did it damage your roof or any of the supports? smoke can do a lot of damage.

I keep checking it, it's out, but I don't want to leave, paranoid I guess. :) I don't think it damaged any structure, but I'm going to call insurance monday. Thanks man.

to check circuit breakers, shut off gas lines, all kinds of stuff
sounds like you've got it under control now
just add smoke detectors so it doesn't happen again

at the hospital, they always ask what happened and if it's illegal, they send out cops to make sure others aren't in danger...if you go, better have a great story that supports your injuries

Yeah, I don't know what the fuck I would say to substantiate burns where I have them but something burning falling on me. Nothing is downstairs as far as breakers, gas lines, etc, so there should be zero reason, and I have a deadbolt on a reinforced door. It all happened in one area of the attic, I'm really thinking electrical fire from old knob and tube wiring. I've been meaning to rewire the house, but money had always been in short supply. If it was electrical, I'm thinking I'll be able to get insurance to pay for a rewire, so this cloud may have a silver lining.

Once again, thanks everyone, this is why I love this place, you all are like my family. I truly appreciate all the kind words, good vibes, and advice. :wave:

zenoonez

Veteran
I am glad to hear you are okay man, fires can be scary things no doubt. As someone who has had first and second degree burns I can tell you that if I had it to do over again I wouldn't go to the hospital. My treatment consisted of scraping my skin off with some popsicle sticks and purified water and putting a creme for cuts and abrasions on my burns. I received a small script for pain killers and that was about the only thing that I couldn't legally get and do myself out of the ordeal. If the burned area is not to large and isn't too terribly bad I would suggest getting someone to help you clean it, wife/girlfriend/oldest son. But that is just me and I am from a less than affluent background and have always had to make due with things. Healing is going to be a painful process if your skin comes off. I can still remember waking up in the middle of the night and peeling the sheets off of my wounds along with half of the wet formed scabs. But anyways, I am glad you and your family are okay, that is what is most important.

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
Oh no!

Oh no!

Damn BG, glad you guys are alright ( for the most part ). Good thing this didn't happen late at night while you were sleeping. I wish ya good luck getting everthing sorted out. Take care... BC

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
shit man sorry to hear glad shit is ok (sort of) its pretty sad when this country doesnt allow you to call the FD cause you may be a couple plants over the limit... especially when its wasnt the grow that cause the fire.... i dont beleive you need the FD for your insurance but honostly they prob gonna fuck with you over it....i would get the plants out the house for a couple days call the fd go to the hospital and get shit straitened out... good luck bro...

SoCoMMJ

jesus man... glad we didnt see your shit on the news tonight.

Take care of yourself, get to the doctor.

And get your count in line so you don't have to worry about calling 911 when you need to.

C

Cookie monster

So glad to hear everyone is safe and well done on keeping a calm head and dealing with the situation.

Seriously tho you should listen to the guys and head to the hospital, skin falling off sounds serious and your probably in shock and not feeling the full force of the burns.

happyherb

no wuckin furries!
Veteran
all i can say is WOW your lucky!!! ....and hope you heal well...may be a horrible uncomfortable sleep ahead and full of worrying ???

..i nearly set my kitchen on fire once...frying pan with oil...went outside and sorta forgot i just turned it on....came back in and flames were licking the ceiling....whole house full of smoke...only bottom 3-4 feet (ground lvl up) didnt have smoke ....scared the crap out off me...and felt REAL bad i nearly burnt down a rented house..nothing some paint couldnt fix....now im over careful even after nearly 10 years....

ppl gave me shit for so long (im a pretty good cook...and everyone knew that) had ppl coming over with a smile ..saying"what ya cooking tonight?....the kitchen again?" yuk yuk yuk yuk yuk....funny guys..

all the best.HH. =]-~