What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I dont understand the scrog seems like a waste of time

maxima32

the key factor here is light and canopy penetration . with scrog the A buds (everything is a bud) get its even share of the canopy thus producing more grade a bud. I understand the veg thing . but more roots mean more fruit . i know it sounds cle shayish but a houses foundation needs to be built first before the structure can . I didnt understand it at first either and i practice SOG. But I now understand were the scrog method has it benefits. especially if you have a strain like any kind of bubba hybrids that always seem to need that extra veg time.

420fied

35 days in

day35budz.jpg

uhh. scrog if using short indicas can be a waste of time, but for say sour diesel, i throw it in there no even coming out of the screen and flip it, bending it threw the screen for the first two weeks. no time lost whatsoever. it really depends on the strain i found, cause gonzo 1 didn't do as well because it barely stretches, plus i need top nugs. bottoms are just cooked with/ dry sifted anyway.

barnyard

asking "do you scrog?" can scare some people away, lol

asking "do you scrog?" can scare some people away, lol

supHERB pics pico and 420fied ~ thanks for sharing

for simple hobby such as myself the scrogging can be meditative. I get lost in my garden when training and trimming the plants ~ I just really enjoy the process of working with the plants for maximum light exposure and symmetry ~ its like creating a sculpture

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
supHERB scrogging can be meditative. I get lost in my garden when training and trimming the plants ~ I just really enjoy the process of working with the plants for maximum light exposure and symmetry ~ its like creating a sculpture
:yeahthats

Totally and completely agree. :D Awesome way to start and end your day; once before lights off in the morning and once at lights on before bed. It really puts your head in a great place to take on the day with. I miss it and can't wait to get back to it. ;D

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you dont need to veg for 5 weeks - depends on the strain - some stretchy strains you can veg for just a couple of weeks, or if you have a seperate veg cab with cfl's then it's not like you are wasting time vegging because you do it at the same time as you are flowering other plants. i get well over 1gram/watt with scrog from a 250 hps and i dont grow commercial high yielders either - scrog means you can get all the buds at the optimum distance from the light.

needearly - if your numbers are better than scrog then lets hear 'em ;)

the best thing we can all do is find a method that works for us and that we believe is the most efficient for out particular situation. for me that is scrog.

good luck

V.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
heres my modular scrog at 30 days in - 4 separate foot square screens attached to the pots 4 different strains - :joint::moon::joint:
NB - mine is organics soil not hydro. (sorry didnt realise i was in the hydro forum :)

picture.php

B

Brazilianfire

Keep the pictures of the SCROG coming... Love to see a good scrog!

buddah

Life is one big grow........
Veteran
one of the main resons for going SOG is:
ITs CHEAPER ...
ITs SHORTER IN TIME...
so u save dollars and the posibility to getting busted is lower!!!
:2cents:
Sure if u are in Cali or somewhere where u can have an amouth of plants I would also go for a Scrog!!!! But most do not live there!!:2cents:

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
one of the main resons for going SOG is:
ITs CHEAPER ...
ITs SHORTER IN TIME...
so u save dollars and the posibility to getting busted is lower!!!

My ScrOG is at least 24 times cheaper than my SOG because I have 24 times less substrate. And that's for a single grow.

20 weeks of 12/12 with no veg is 20 weeks of 12/12 with no veg regardless of method. SOG saves me no time at all.

SOG costs extra money and provides NO additional safety from being busted but, will keep you jailed much longer if you are busted.

buddah

Veteran
most don't run 20weeker.....
and substrates are the same or do u grow ur SROG plants in 4-6l??? speaking from solid!!may a bit more but ´it def. cost less money as the more 18 light hours does costs!!
And if u get busted here in my country and in most other euro ones the cop will dry the plants and weigh em or even scale the thc...

FreezerBoy

Veteran
most don't run 20weeker.....

I do.

You said SOG would save me money and that's not true. SOG is much more expensive. 24 netcups of whatever costs 24 times more than one cup of whatever. I can re-use my one net cup of hydroton forever and ever.

Light costs what it costs. It doesn't go up when plant count goes down. If anything it decreases because ScrOG out yields SOG. My SOG barely kept me smoking. One ScrOG will last a year or more. I'm about ready to start throwing buds out I'm so buried.

Your area may actually weigh, mine does not. Plants are assigned their weight. A 1 inch clone "weighs" as much as a 20 footer in full bloom.

There are reasons to go SOG but, saving time, money and freedom are not among them.

needearly

Oh cool down freezerboy I didnt know I was giong to tapdance on your last nerve with this thread its not my fault you sucked a the sog. One more thing quit being a pussy and start smoking that mountain of weed you week suck! lol.

SKUNK420

Scrog's also allow growers to produce a higher # of cola's without increasing the plant count.

My thought exactly. Yeah it kinda sucks if you don't have a separate area to do all the prep work during veg to get one shoot per hole in a scrog set up.

The whole what is cheaper debate is hmm...... depends on your own situation.
I've done a 65 and a 54 sog before and washing pots suck. Never again but if I do I'll just sell or recycle them and buy new ones.

buddah

Veteran
i sog in Drainage System beds....if u handwatering without beds its a pain in the ass!!

cant understand how scrog can be cheaper??? Explain!!!! Plz
simpel math...5-15day veg is not = 2month of veg
and if u don't run a 20 wekker u have to veg long
:2cents:
but personal for frezzy is prob. the best way...i agree...ur space are very small and u ran 20weeker!!!
My space is unlimited, i run 10 dif. strains under 1200-200watts in 4 beds each bed with 18plantz, train the planz of course and get a realy good field....

if i run a smaller amought of strains i go vertical for the best field...10 big plant around each 600w....!!:2cents::2cents:

FreezerBoy

Veteran
cant understand how scrog can be cheaper??? Explain!!!! Plz
simpel math...5-15day veg is not = 2month of veg

Less equipment, less nutes, less light for larger yields of bigger, frostier, buds. What's not to understand?

Oh cool down freezerboy I didnt know I was giong to tapdance on your last nerve with this thread its not my fault you sucked a the sog. One more thing quit being a pussy and start smoking that mountain of weed you week suck! lol.

The vast majority in the thread agree with me. No one has stood up for you banged out weed. If you don't want to take my word for it, take everyone else's. If you want to talk processes, I'm here. If you want to troll, you're on your own.

FreezerBoy

Veteran
1 plant requires less equipment than 100. How is that not clear? Canopy control requires less light. How is that not clear? Feeding one plant costs less than feeding 100 plants. How is that not clear? Time weaving would depend on the size of the grow but, 2-3 minutes a week doesn't seem all that taxing to me.

B

Brazilianfire

I guess im just more of a sog guy lol for scrog you still need climate control and a medium and lights and electricity i dont see less of anything just a bigger power bill at the end of the day . more containers and medium is relatively cheap compared to using more electric , once you have the supplys your good to go the electric bill is an ongoing thing .

How is it a bigger power bill? boy oh boy... lol

Latest posts

Latest posts