What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I dont understand the scrog seems like a waste of time

Jnugg

Veteran
Pictures, and perhaps yield numbers in weight.

I haven't had the chance to run a SCRoG yet,just been doing the whole super crop and LST thing for the last few years.

Although I can tell you I was pulling just over 4oz. per harvest using two plants super cropped/LST'd so I am sure I can get 8-10oz every run with a one-two plant SCRoG.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Best scrogs I've done were 1 week veg times and just the right number of plants for the strain to fill the screen by the end of stretch.

It's a bitch to train twice a day on fast growing plants during the stretch but it's definitely worth it. Don't have to mess with it much after the stretch is done either, just raise the light and tend the res.

Don't recommend it for high humidity areas though, unless you really thin out the leaf matter in the canopy. Tough to do if you're working with anything other than a micro environment.

Power13

Scrog is a great way to go. Easy to do, and creates extremely uniform growth. Tranlates to big nugs, and really nice yields. I've gotten 1.25 lbs from a single top44 plant that was vegged about 5 weeks(3x3) and flowered under a digital 600 hps. With a proper strain, i'm pretty sure that could be closer to 1.5 lbs.

VagPuncher

Balls Deep!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
(are we talking outside of California?)

About the plant count.. Don't the law weigh weed too? I mean, it seems that they will get you for a felony if the weight is high or plant count is high. Whatever is best for them to make a big deal out of their bust.

They also weigh the soil and buckets when you get busted. That's why you see the newspapers reporting 2,000,000 dollar busts. They weigh everything and multiply that times what they see as potential profit.

10 SCROG plants will weight considerably less than 20 fill grown plants; soil and all.

sackoweed

I took anger management already!!!! FUCK!!!
Veteran
scrog is an awesome way to grow if yer limited in space... If yer a lazy person try something different.. peace. Just my two rusty pennies...

sack

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
I doubt it really qualifies as "scrog" but my garden would be in rough shape without a scrog trellis to support the plants weight in late flower. Yall know that gangsta lean that starts to kick in around day 40 and eventually ends up with fallen plants, snapped branches, etc. A trellis is a must for heavy strains, unless you like tying up a shitload of branches individually.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
My state says it is a misdemeanor to grow 4 plants or less. No weighing.
5 Plants will put you in Eddyville.

LST does essentially the same thing a Scrog does, only without a screen. I can grow two of the same plant, vegged for the same period, one I LST the other I don't, and I guarantee you that I will have a bigger, healthier harvest from the plant I LST'd.
It's all about the auxins.

mixedwell

my first grow and i musing SCRoG.

its neat to see all the new bud sites all pointing up. even tho im vegging a low yeild plant like the LA confidential, im pretty sure i'll have enough of this head stash for a while. its like a mass LST!

thekid818

(are we talking outside of California?)

About the plant count.. Don't the law weigh weed too? I mean, it seems that they will get you for a felony if the weight is high or plant count is high. Whatever is best for them to make a big deal out of their bust.

They can't really weigh wet plants. So they go with plant count. Someone already said it. Picture yourself in front of the judge and think if you'd rather be discussing 99 marijuana plants or 10.

H

HippyJohnny

Legal issues is the main reason a SCROG would be better for me.

Look at a SOG in a NGB cabinet I have seen 40-50 plants. So if a fellow got busted with his 2x2x3 grow the news in my town would read MAJOR grow house/pot bust, over 40-plants confiscated..... and state law kicks in and sentencing guidelines go to 5-10years.
Same fellow decides that a SCROG is the way to go and gets wild with 4 plants... gets busted... isn't on the news, and the judge doesn't need to understand that they were only 12 grams each. Plus the guidelines are 2 years instead. Big difference in the risk reward equation in my book.

You can always grow in a larger area... but to get a good harvest with low plant count, SCROG is the proven way to go and will outperform the same number of trees.

Plan for the worst, but expect the best.

stealthroom

My state says it is a misdemeanor to grow 4 plants or less. No weighing.
5 Plants will put you in Eddyville.

Thats nice, my state has weight guidelines.. Also in your state sale of under 8 oz is only a MM .. lol thats sweet, My limit would be 1/2 pounds all day long

Power13

I like to lst the plant until it fills most of my space, then i put the net over, and work it in. LSt is great for getting the plant into the shape you want, then netting it, allows you to control it easily. LST is hard to do further into flower, you don't want to keep hurting the plant.

pico

Veteran
If you ask me, you should always do some sort of canopy training. Check out my PVC trellis frame DIY here http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=50823

12245june08gardenpano.jpg

12245IMG_1003.JPG

12245303X7184.JPG

12245IMG_7749.JPG

12245IMG_1451.JPG

12245IMG_1454.JPG

B

Brazilianfire

WOW Pico!! Awesome results there.. Looks wonderful! Im curious mate, how did you trim and train the innermost plants? Thanks Pico, nice display of a little elbow grease and a can-do attitude! Cheers mate.

pico

Veteran
I don't really give anything the full scrog treatment. Really just topping the plants, giving them a really aggressive bottom trim (cut off all the crap that won't see the light anyways), and flowering the right time and have the trellis setup. Then you can just do a little bit of training if you see an area of the screen that needs a bit more shoots, or if something is getting too tall, pull it over a square or two.

before trim
12245IMG_0671.JPG

after trim
12245IMG_0673.JPG

12245IMG_0666.JPG

I try to make it so I can get at everything, so these are just 4ft wide sections, I can easily reach the middle, and can get to the back with a little stretch. Normally I don't really need to get back there and do anything, as the plants will fill in the screen pretty well by themselves if you do your job right.

If you are growing some hefty plants, they will eventually want to fall over with all that bud weight. With the screens setup like this, you don't have that problem, and you have a nice even canopy that will maximize your light intensity. Remember the inverse square law kids, no need to grow christmas trees when the bottom buds don't get nearly as much light as the tops. Grow the same size plant, but make the canopy nice and flat.

The project I am working on right now will be two 12x8 foot sections screened off. So it will be a bit harder to reach the plants, but I think it should be all good as long as I have everything setup correctly in the beginning. I would love to have enough space to have rolling tables so I could use my pvc screens inside the trays, and be able to reach all the plants, but still be able to have all the lights in a big square. Lights in a big block mean less wasted light.

Wait...What?

Veteran
While further experimentation is needed, I've noticed a correlation between when and how many sucker shoots you trim off the bottom, and a corresponding increase in vigor.

I leave the leaf and just trim the sucker shoot. the plant will self-mulch and drop the leaf when the leaf no longer gets enough light.

Latest posts

Latest posts