What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

hush's new hidey hole — I'm growing for one, now!

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Thanks man. You're building up my confidence! :biggrin:

Seriously though, I appreciate it. So in the meantime I'm just going to start putting together some brochures and some web copy, try to get a quasi business plan down on paper, then come later in the year I'll consult an attorney. This ought to be fun, if I can figure it all out. I doubt it will allow me to quit my job, but now that I have a daughter, I need to start building up a nest egg, and my career has not provided me with one of those unfortunately. It's weird how having a child changes the way we think, the things we do, the priorities in life. It's the truth though. She's all I think about now, and I need to save money for her future.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Well, I just tried making my first post on Instagram and it was removed. :dunno: I asked them to review the decision. WTF, man.

Edit: haha right as I posted this I got the notification that they reposted it.

My IG name is farmer.hush if anyone wants to follow me.

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Veteran
Definitely brush up on the law. I really don't expect there's a legal way for you to be able to sell any clones or seeds just as a consultant with no license or oversight from the state. I would suggest you simply build it into the cost of your consultation and give them away for 'free'. I think the brochure is fun and the certification doesn't hurt. I would expect that your expertise and services would be largely spread by word of mouth, is that correct?

Last edited:

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Yes, pretty much. I'm just going to start networking now. And yeah, I don't plan on selling seeds or clones in this business plan. I meant selling things like rockwool cubes, flood trays, cloners, things like that. If at all. I'm still brainstorming.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
2w1hjmb.jpg

Christmas in October over here in the hidey hole! Looks like I have some rockwool to start soaking. Bubba Hash is next up! :biggrin:

MicroHaze

Whoo-ee! Can't wait to see the those Bubba Hash seeds hit the rockwool!

I really need to get some heavy indicas germinating soon. I am vaping the last of my heavy smoke as type this post.

Two days ago I just took 2 cuts that have rooted in rapid rooters and moved them into 2.5 x 4 x4 rockwool blocks. Never tried rockwool before. This thread inspired me to give rockwool a try.

Cheers!

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Yeah I am super excited about these choices... aside from the Bubba Hash these selections were based on what I think will suit me appropriately for my upcoming breeding projects. In the recent past I bought a pack of standard PCK seeds, and went through them all, but the grow didn't end well because I was beginning to deal with the marital problems that eventually led to divorce problems. I honestly don't even remember much about that grow. I just remember that I was already taking care of my wife who was stuck in a 9-month-long state of "hyperemesis" which meant that she had nonstop morning sickness through her entire pregnancy, and so I was playing caretaker to a human being (one who was in the process of not giving a fuck about all of the sacrifices I was making and all of the caretaking I was providing, but I digress) instead of caretaker to plants. So I'm *really* looking forward to growing the PCK out again, and this time doing it right.

I don't have any experience with Nepal Jam yet, but I love highland nepalese genetics, so I am also looking forward to this one. I expect that NepJam will be great for some breeding projects where I need to lower the size of a plant, or shorten its flowering time. Same thing goes for PCK, of course, but I wanted to have a sativa AND an indica for the same purposes.

So anyway, yeah, Bubba Hash is next in the 3x3, and then after that will be the PCK, and I think I'll be doing the NepJam in the 2x2 as soon as my KxNL F2 grow is finished. I've been trying to reserve the 3x3, with the HPS, for indica-doms and the 2x2, with the blue-heavy LEDs, for the sativa-doms. Not really sure if it matters, I just know that the ViparSpectra unit I'm using is heavy in the blues, and back in the day I found that indicas do better under HPS than under MH. I assume that still applies here.

MicroHaze

Hey Hush,

Couple of newb questions about your kush x nl setup.

1) Are those 6” grow blocks?

2) when you flood does the flood level go right to the top of the grow block?

Many thanks !

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Hey Hush,

Couple of newb questions about your kush x nl setup.

1) Are those 6” grow blocks?

2) when you flood does the flood level go right to the top of the grow block?

Many thanks !

Actually, no, they are 4" cubes. Grodan calls them "Delta 10" as their official name. They come in strips of 6. They have holes already in them that are meant to fit their 1.5" starter cubes, which is also how I start my seeds and clones. And no, you don't want the water level to go all the way up to the top of the cube. I would say anywhere from 2 to 3 inches is ideal. Technically even a 1 inch level (like, not using any risers on the drain fitting) would work fine. But one of the benefits of using ebb and flow, especially in rockwool, is that when the flood tray drains, fresh air gets sucked into the rockwool cubes. I would imagine that the lower the level of the flood line, the less this benefit of ebb and flow would be at play.

I've never used the 6 inch cubes. I do believe they are mostly marketed towards people who do top-feed, though. I honestly don't know for sure. But it could be an important factor, because not all rockwool is spun the same way. The Delta 10 cubes are designed for wicking water upward. That's the way the fibers were spun. For all I know the 6 inch cubes, or the 8 inch ones for that matter, might not be woven the same way. So I would look into that if you do want to use the 6 inch cubes. 4 inch cubes have always worked out for me except for once when I tried to grow a single Panama plant in my 3x3 tent, which required a lot of vegging, and the cube ended up rootbound halfway through flowering. That was when I learned that, yeah, if I'm going to do a single plant that grows into a tree, I will have to use large fabric pots with perlite/vermiculite mix or something. I also could have just dumped a bunch of expanded clay balls into the flood tray, around and on top of the rootbound cube, creating a bed, but they aren't really accessible to me way out here in the middle of nowhere. I would have had to drive into Denver to buy them from a hydro shop, and I just didn't want to travel anywhere at the time. So that is an option as well.

I just recommend going with the tried and true Delta 10s, if that's a possibility.

MicroHaze

Thanks Again!

Very helpful info. My cuts are in the 2.5 x4x4 grodan. Im not sure if they are woven the same way as the “ delta 10s”.

My 2 small cuts are just getting accustomed to the rockwool now.

I’m going to do the ebb and flow part by hand until I can afford a pump and some 2x2 rubbermaid containers next paycheck.(lol). Thanks for the info on flood depth totally helpful.

My main 3x3 is in my garage and has 2 plants in 3 gallon pots of coco/perlite and is getting hit dtw 2 times a day. Feed every time. There is a shitload of run off which I shop vac out every night. I love this method, but i’ll be moving the grow into my basement and need to keep things neat and tidy, and on autopilot- as ill be travelling a bunch a the holidays approach. I feel like your 2x2 is kind of an ideal set-up to keep a small tidy grow going indoors during the Canadian winter.

Cheers!

webecat

Great thread Hush! And for MicroHaze, bus tubs from the local restaurant supply, or cement tubs from Lowes or HD are cheap and don't get the big cracks if you have an oops drilling the holes for drain and fill in the bottom FYI.

Last edited:

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
JccRNJj.jpg

The F2s are all growing well. They're being fed with 1 tsp/gal of Foliage Pro and that seems to be the appropriate amount for them right now. They're all sending out bottom branches now, so that means I can take clones soon, and then flip to flowering.

There's also one plant that is exhibiting this leaf mutation which I'm keeping my eye on. It seems healthy in every way, so this might be a mutation to look for. You never know.

MzbhK7o.jpg

Also, I just began germinating the Bubba Hash seeds a moment ago. Hopefully in a few days I'll be putting them in the 3x3.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Those kush/nl must be more on the kush side of things. Don't know if you've grown out his pure nl yet but it has a very distinct look. This is the second season I've grown it and all of the plants have these interesting fan leaves that look like they're trying their hardest to stretch out from each other. Definitely a stretchy Indica compared to most others. I'd be glad to share a pic later this week if that's alright with you hush.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
^ Please do! Yeah I keep thinking I'm selecting for the BC Kush side of things, and I'm pretty sure I am, but for all I know, maybe I am selecting for the NL side, because I've never grown pure NL before. I'd be interested in some NL photos!

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Explosive growth going on in the 2x2. I'm going to go ahead and flip to flowering tonight, so this could be considered day zero of 12/12.

ZNBlnsM.jpg

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Before lights out last night I was inspecting all of the plants and I discovered that there are 5 definite males. So I removed 4 of them to another tent. I chose one to keep in this tent, for now, based on its beautiful, strong structure, but that might change if I decide one of the other four looks better suited for breeding. That leaves me with 4 remaining plants, and only one of those is a definite female. Interestingly enough it is the one with the beautiful leaf-mutation, so I'll be keeping my eyes on that one. As far as the other 3, they just aren't showing me any pre-flowers, male or female, so they all get to stay in the tent for now.

Cnz3ym3.jpg

The one confirmed female is on the back left, and you can even kind of see the mutation in that photo. It's sort of like a variegation, but a bit different than what I'm used to seeing in that respect. And the confirmed male is the one on the front right.

Latest posts

Latest posts