What's new

Huge Trouble Starting SSH Seeds in Soil

TACOE

Ahh okay. I think I am on the same page now. I thought that was your usual planting method. I'm still not sure I understand the can method though. I understand the insulation part - however, for me, perlite wouldn't be an economical choice I don't think. Might be the only that works though?

So you are placing a pot without a bottom into a trash can filled with soil so that the roots grow out of the pot into the "open" soil? I don't mean that the bottom is too deep to reach, but I have heard that prime depth is about 18 inches, and the deeper soil (though it is used to a degree) is kind of wasted.

I think I learned this from outdoor smart pot growing, but I'm assuming the 18 inches applies to indoors as well.

h.h.

Veteran
18" is about as deep as the roots will go. I've planted in tall kitchen trash can and have gotten deeper roots, maybe 2'+, but I didn't find an advantage. Seems wider is better.
The roots in this case went down to the top of my water reservoir where the wicks were. The 3 plants each had their own root zone as well as a common one.
I used excess perlite in an attempt to lower weight.
I start indoors and move them outside when 6 to 12 inches tall. These were late season, late July to just before Christmas, veg season extended with supplemental lights and yielded maybe a half pound.