What's new

Huge Trouble Starting SSH Seeds in Soil

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
If you want-need a humidity dome, just put a plastic zip-lock bag over the top. You can also root clones like this with more or less success (I suspect) depending on the mix in the cups.

Pine

TACOE

DO NOT use a dome.
seeds DEFINITELY do not need it. It will do more harm than good to seeds. And cuttings don't either. Infact its better not to use a dome for cuttings, and you don't have to ween them off it.

TACOE

Styrofoam would work with some holes. but remember that using straight promix.. you may need to feed at some point if you are leaving them in there for a while.

rrog

Veteran
Thanks for the thoughts and help. I'd like to consider the baggie, loose over the cups and watch them / monitor moisture. It's still dry air here and while I certainly had initial issues with too much water, I have learned.

The seedlings would only be in this Promix for maybe a week. Then transfer to 1 gallon pails. After females are identified, they move to 5 gallon pails

I have a micro-space to grow, so I can't plop all unsexed the seedlings directly to 5 gallon pails. Only females

mad librettist

Veteran
Huge Trouble Starting SSH Seeds in Soil

you'll be fine with the 1 gallon containers.

ask me if you need help finding my grow. only thing the flower tent is mother candidates. I am finishing them from seed in 1 gal pot and #1 smartpots so you should be good to go transplanting after sexing.

it has not been easy from week 5 or so on.

rrog

Veteran
Thanks ML. I need a better system at some point. Dixie cups--> 1 gallon--> 5 gallon is a lot of moving around and that just can't be efficient. I'd look at cloning and mothers but I don't keep the grow room going except once a year.

mad librettist

Veteran
I'm going from DE bed -->small pot-->1 gal-->15 gallons coming up soon.

isn't that the same amount of moving around? every up-pot gives me a chance to snip away some roots, which is a big part of keeping them going in small pots

mad librettist

Veteran
for anyone baffled by my 15 gallon containers, yes they are vegging a long time, and they have other plants in them. I need enough soil to support my living mulch, and the star of the show. I have quite a zoo going already.

a fourth will be added soon, and they will be kept together with "bridges" so that bugs can go between them. It's a movable perpetual bed of sorts. See the thread "living mulch... just... live it?"

thanks for the vote of confidence though!

V

vonforne

There are many ways of starting seeds and rooting clones. Most is due to the temps and the humidity in your room. For seedlings I never use a doom. It traps too much moisture and most will die off but in the case of cuts I use a doom if I am not running a bubble cloner.

The method I use with great sucess is placing the cuts in moist EWC and peat with clay gravel mixed in 40% peat, 40% EWC and 20% clay gravel. Place in dome and mist only the top of the dome.....not the plants. Once the dome is under the lights it will create its own moisture if your temps are kept constant.

As far as my last SSH run last year I had a 100% germination rate.

V

mad librettist

Veteran
by the way, the rule I play by is (if just cannabis is in the container): the soil volume should be as much as the volume of the canopy.

so imagine both are solid, that's what I go for.

It's not about filling out the whole container with roots. Soil that isn't colonized by roots is not useless by ny means. 10 gallons of the same soil holds twice as much energy and everything else as 5 gallons, but a crucial difference is the surface area to volume ratio, which affects diffusion.

at 15 gallons, the surface area is tiny compared to the overall volume, at least when compared to 1 gallon of the same. but as long as you are good with water management, colonizing the whole container is not necessary. if you use a mix like 2ndtry's there is no perched water table, so container size relative to plant size becomes completely irrelevant when up-potting.

and further, for anyone worried about me tainting the minds of our youth, I submit that a living mulch calls for more dirt, and my whole container is probably going to be colonized anyway.

V

vonforne

I am not saying that. What I am refering to is when you have a limited space to work with it is more cost effective to use only what you need. If you have 20. 15 galloon containers and your plant uses only 5 then you have wasted 4 m² of space, lost your light foot print or increased your electrical usage and wasted 200 gallons of soil.

V

mad librettist

Veteran
von, most sane people who don't need to smoke cannabis would call the whole thing a waste. I am supporting a canopy roughly the size of my tent, and a living mulch below. I am going to veg and veg, and I will have very low plant numbers. I intend to grow a variety of helpful plants in my tent (which is very roomy in the vertical sense and has a reflector that truly fits). I intend to also keep a variety of fun and interesting and hopefully helpful animals and fungi.

The perpetual quarters can be wheeled out to the sun room to recharge the living mulch, rest up, maybe grow some lettuce. Or, I can just chop and drop in a plant two weeks later. Each one takes up exactly half my veg closet. So once I'm up and running, I'll always have bugs and plants.

I have made good choices for my situation and for my skill level.

h.h.

Veteran
I'll use a dome for the first few days only because I have a habit of letting things dry out. Trying to start some Uberkush with very fine seeds. Been mushing them all up. They would sink in my medium. Reverted to a almost dry paper towel with a dome ( plastic coffee container). Seems small seeds need less water, at least these do. I'm planting them in a small debit on top the soil covered with a small piece of towel and just a sprinkling of soil. Seems to be working.
If they are damping off, the bottom of the stem at the soil line will shrink. The plant will look fine for a few days. It doesn't know it's dead yet. Most likely too hot a mix.
Taking off the shells can be risky. Try to avoid it if possible. A few drops of water dripped on them will help them fall off. You may have to do it a couple times. If nothing else, surgery will be easier.

h.h.

Veteran
I think there is advantage to using what some might call "extra" soil. Three, three gallon bottomless pots planted in a 32 gallon trash can supporting 3 plants supercropped in 3 directions. This takes little footspace. Extra perlite in the outer soil will decrease weight. The extra soil works as a buffer and a water/air wick. The mix can be different as well, more compost whatever. Watering is also versatile. Stronger teas go to the outside soil.
I used an aerated, wicked, covered 5 gallon bucket in the bottom of the trash can with a tube coming up for fill giving me 3 different watering zones where I would think the biology varies. Don't know. It was my best grow to date and I think someone with more knowledge could dial it in better.
As it turned out all 3 plants were female. I was actually trying for seed. I imagine plants could be sexed first before the pots are planted in the cans or use feminized seed.

TACOE

30 gallon trash cans are unnecessarily large. Or deep rather

Also ur germination method seems ridiculously od. It's not hard to sprout marijuana seeds
Furthermore the size of the seed shouldn't affect the amount of water u use to water the soil.

Lifting gently shells has never been a problem for me. Just play nice

And what the Hell is outer soil?

h.h.

Veteran
Odd it is. I usually just plant them. These gave me trouble. Smallest seeds I've ever seen. Odd is working.
If you want to do seed surgery fine. A couple drops of water on them will loosen them and they will usually just fall off.
By the time a 5 gallon bucket is placed in the bottom of a can is isn't that deep. Other cans I did cut half way down.
The 3 gallon pots with bottoms removed are planted in the cans, pot and all, with soil under them as well as around and between them. Outer soil so to speak. I first did this to insulate them from the desert heat.

Latest posts

Latest posts