What's new

Huge Trouble Starting SSH Seeds in Soil

rrog

Veteran
Sounds very reasonable. Thanks for the pic. I any event I clearly damped-off the seedlings as well as hit them with too strong a compost. Could have used more drainage as well.

mad librettist

Veteran
I don't like any kind of plugs made from anything but soil, personally. You can get into trouble when your plug holds water differently from the substrate, making it hard to keep a consistently good moisture level.

Also, once your babys sprout, get a fan on them blowing very lightly.

I

Iron_Lion

I don't like any kind of plugs made from anything but soil, personally. You can get into trouble when your plug holds water differently from the substrate, making it hard to keep a consistently good moisture level.

Also, once your babys sprout, get a fan on them blowing very lightly.

I agree 100%, this is why I am ready to toss the rapid rooters I had tried for cloning. They are like sponges and they are always too wet or too dry.

Another thing I dont like about plugs is clones rooted in them, then planted and grown to completetion arent solid at the base like plants grown from start directly in soil. The spongey plug doesnt break down, it surrounds the very core of the root system where the roots are thickest and strongest and never lets them in direct contact with the soil.

This an RR's arent 100% organic and that is bad enough.

mad librettist

Veteran
Iron Lion, you need a widger!

It's a little transplanting device that lets you start seeds in soil and move them to a new container or into the ground. It picks up just enough dirt along with the sprout. Kind of a spoon crossed with a knife. With a widger, I can start seeds for a whole garden in a flat tray of dirt - way more than you can fit in those flats with cells. For cannabis though, I've been filling small pots with soil and throwing them in the flower room until they sprout.

For rooting, I have done well of late using calcined DE (Napa auto parts 8822). You drop in the cut, and when it's done you just pull. The cut and the roots come out, and the roots don't get damaged. You can rinse off the DE.

Put some dirt in the palm of your hand, spread the roots out into it, and cradle it as you add soil. When you pull out your hand, the roots will be spread out in the soil, not all clumped together. Then you want to water it in, but make sure you hold the clone as it will sink down otherwise. Bare root transplants are easy once you get the hang of it, and the DE gives you a nice tough root mass to work with. I had a plant in a humidity tray with DE as the substrate, and the roots grew down through the drainage. The mass below was like a white afro.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
by now you've figured it out

otherwise

seed starter mix or rapid rooter only

as long as the rr is moist not soaked, no problems... pipettes are handy to have around for this

rrog

Veteran
I'm inclined to use the 6-pack (I assume some simple container to hold the soil) and a seed starter soil mix. Mixed with 30% Perlite to maximize drainage. Then just plop these into the bigger bucket when done

mad librettist

Veteran
seed starter mix or rapid rooter only

all these save the three on the right, the mother bottom left center, and the clone top left were seeds started directly in my regular mix ferts and all, the same one they are in all the way to harvest. Blue satellite, 8 miles high, mandala 1, and assorted skunkman freebies. Balanced and active soil will not burn seedlings, and it will see you through.

I just use biotone. nothing fancy. maybe some neptune's and some soluble seaweed.

IMG_1067.jpg

SuperSizeMe

A foot without a sock...
Veteran
I use this, with a slight twist.I have noticed variances from bale to bale of Promix, so I add ewc.perlite & dolo, tender with some LK@ tsp/per and it works a charm.

Peace,

SSM :joint:

Yes, it is certainly possible.
skip the paper towel method. drop the seed in a little hole in a 6 pack filled with (str8) promix... the promix, i believe, has enough lime to balance the pH of what is in there right out of the bag. - You can also refer to the Organics for Beginners thread and sprout in LC's mix (unamended)- Seeds have the energy/food they need to get started right there in the shell. Once they get some roots and a few leaves.. then it's time for the peat, compost mix..

Using the 6 pack with promix.. Mandala#1: 6/10 on day 3.. 9/10 by day 4.. 10/10 day 5.. not so confident about the last sprout.

Oh and 8" sounds far for fluoro's.. i keep my T5's 2 inches from the babies.. but I may be confused about what stage you are actually at.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Everybody has a different environment,so the method that each person develops has a lot to do with that. Humidity,temp,lighting,medium,etc. For example,being that I'm in the PNW I don't need a dome for my clones. I'm not in an arid environment like a desert so my seedlings/clones won't transpire as much. Every medium has it's moisture level learning curve. I also go with sterile items to start seeds indoors after several years of environmental mishaps,it just seems that everything that crawls,flies,spores,etc. is trying to eat them. I can't use the rooting plugs for clones,they just don't work out for my environment,but they are perfect for seeds.
Outside I can plant seeds in the native ground and they always seem to come up with no attention at all.

mad librettist

Veteran
I also go with sterile items to start seeds indoors

I like that for clones, but with seedlings I feel like they should pass some kind of test. Sometimes though, you have to go sterile. I had a bag of skunk x haze that were so tiny and feeble as germs that they had to be coddled. Sometimes with these genetics you feel like you are doing tissue culture, not working with viable organisms.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
I like that for clones, but with seedlings I feel like they should pass some kind of test. Sometimes though, you have to go sterile. I had a bag of skunk x haze that were so tiny and feeble as germs that they had to be coddled. Sometimes with these genetics you feel like you are doing tissue culture, not working with viable organisms.
Weak selections with these varieties over the years no doubt led to some types needing to be babied. There is the indoor/outdoor difference though.
As far as passing a test....that comes later as I beat the crap out of them in a cycle to see if they can deal.

rrog

Veteran
I sure learned a lot in this thread. I'm grateful for the detailed replies and experiences.

S

Savoir-faire

Glad you have gotten alot out of it. Many a good reply here. To expand on the "6 pack" it is a small rectangular tray with 2 rows of 3 little seed starting cups. Get em at nurseries or farm supply stores.

Reason i like them is this: If following my method of using promix (which is i think the simplest way.. why mess with it if it works out of the bag) Promix is a sterile, neutral mix.. with little if any nutes in there. (as i said earlier it is just peat/verm/perl with the doli lime - and yes you could easily replicate this.. buttt, i for one.. don't know how much lime is needed to neutralize just peat/perl.. i use the ratio's given for LC's mix to balance the mix after adding all the amendments - so i stick to wat works) So this works out for the seedling (they don't want any nutrients at this early a stage) and it works out for the size container.. because by the time the seedling is old enough to want nutrients, it will have outgrown the 6 pack and be ready for a step up.

Cautious guy that I am, my next step after 6 pack is 1 gal. containers filled with a simple mix (still no real nute value besides compost+slow release dusts): 1/3peat, 1/3 compost, 1/3 perl, + doli@ 1 cup per cu.ft. (7.5 gal) + 1 cup per of equal parts of rock dusts (greensand, tenn. brown phos, granite meal, azomite,) sprinkle a little kelp meal and a little food grade D.E. and I let em rock in there till they want some food + i feel they can handle the ferted mix.. then ferted mix in 3 gall. it is.

oh yeah.. and the 6 packs.. search google with "6 pack seed tray" under images you will see a number of examples.. I use the smaller holed ones.. i'd say they are about 2x2.

Dr.Dank

Cannabis 101
Veteran
I believe you might have burnt them..... with the Organic Compost... too young for it i think but could be wrong... I've growns shantis ssh with amazing results great stuff..
I been germination seeds in sunshine mix with out a problem... hope this helps.

rrog

Veteran
Makes sense S-F. Thanks for the added detail.

Dr. D I agree. Too much way too soon for the little fellas.

I assumed some nutes would be needed, but as states in this thread, seedlings don't need much at all as they have energy on board to last them a while.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if a compost is "hot" then its not fully composted yet imo. i can go out and buy what most farmers around here would consider "good compost" and it actually is crap. literally... mostly manure.

hi jay, i may be wrong, but i reckon cannabis seedlings are more sensitive to rich soil than many veggies - especially haze types like ssh.

well my point was if it burned the veggies, or stalled them. its too much for cannabis seedling.

that being said i grow cannabis seeds in my compost all the time,

but an easy seedling mix is
1 part compost( i guess ill have to say homemade now)
1 part coarse sand
enough perlite or rice hulls to your liking.